Vista print dialog conflicts for HP Deskjet 970xci

Phil Race

Vista print dialog conflicts for HP Deskjet 970xci
On Vista we are using the pre-installed drivers for the HP Deskjet 970xci.
In the print dialog if you do nothing except change the colour setting
on the preferences pop upto black and white - ie print in black and white,
not colour, and then press OK/Print an error dialog pops up as follows

Title: Incompatible Print Settings

Text:
There are one or more conflicting settings.
One of the conflicting settings is:

Resolution: 300 x 300 dots per inch
Print Mode : Auto Select

It then offers to resolve all conflicts for you.
Its not clear what this does. The "Advanced" tab then shows these
settings still as above but will little yellow triangles containing an
exclamation mark.

This can be reproduced in wordpad etc .. so its not a problem in our code.
Although apparently if you try to set B&W from code so there's no dialog,
you don't get the benefit of this fix up. Bizarrely our app then prints
the page shrunk, probably because the device resolution is changed to
something different than we expected.

This is specific to vista. All works fine on XP

1) How can resolution and print mode be in conflict in B&W printing ?
2) How does vista (I presume its vista not the driver) detect this conflict?
Knowing this I can do the same ..

-phil.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista print dialog conflicts for HP Deskjet 970xci
The driver detects the conflict. I'll forward your mail to one of the HP
driver developers.

I have seen this error for some of the PCL5 HP devices. I think this is a
known issue.

Poking at the driver, this appears to only have a conflict is the Print Mode
is configured to Normal (Auto Select). If you select Best or Draft, there
is not conflict dialog. I do not have the device so I don't know if this
affects the output.

The driver in Vista was updated by HP. You can install the XP drivers onto
Vista by using Have Disk and selecting the XP CD media.
--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Phil Race" <PhilRSun@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> On Vista we are using the pre-installed drivers for the HP Deskjet 970xci.
> In the print dialog if you do nothing except change the colour setting
> on the preferences pop upto black and white - ie print in black and white,
> not colour, and then press OK/Print an error dialog pops up as follows
>
> Title: Incompatible Print Settings
>
> Text:
> There are one or more conflicting settings.
> One of the conflicting settings is:
>
> Resolution: 300 x 300 dots per inch
> Print Mode : Auto Select
>
> It then offers to resolve all conflicts for you.
> Its not clear what this does. The "Advanced" tab then shows these
> settings still as above but will little yellow triangles containing an
> exclamation mark.
>
> This can be reproduced in wordpad etc .. so its not a problem in our code.
> Although apparently if you try to set B&W from code so there's no dialog,
> you don't get the benefit of this fix up. Bizarrely our app then prints
> the page shrunk, probably because the device resolution is changed to
> something different than we expected.
>
> This is specific to vista. All works fine on XP
>
> 1) How can resolution and print mode be in conflict in B&W printing ?
> 2) How does vista (I presume its vista not the driver) detect this
> conflict?
> Knowing this I can do the same ..
>
> -phil.

Phil Race

Re: Vista print dialog conflicts for HP Deskjet 970xci
Alan,

Thanks for responding.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> The driver detects the conflict.

OK. So that means the driver itself popped up the message dialog?

> I'll forward your mail to one of the HP
> driver developers.
>
> I have seen this error for some of the PCL5 HP devices. I think this is a
> known issue.

OK thanks. Can you please update this posting with any response from HP

-Phil Race.
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista print dialog conflicts for HP Deskjet 970xci
response from HP:

Alan,

Thanks. This one is not a regression from XP. I repro'ed this on an XP with
HP 970Cxi inbox driver as well. I think this is a low priority bug. I did
not look into it more since this is a fairly old device. This
incompatibility popup seems having problem for user to resolve it himself.

I would say won't fix for this. You may either tell him to go with color or
click OK to "Resolve all conflicts for me automatically" in B&W.

Thanks. Sorry for not providing better answer for this.