Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Printing Problem

microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-19-2007
Mark Roberts
 

Posts: n/a
Printing Problem
I have a desktop running Vista Home Premium with no parallel printer ports
only USB. I also have a HP PSC 500 all in one printer with no USB ports. I
have connected both using a USB to Parallel Bi-Directional Cable. Vista
recognises the printer and installs the driver correctly and says it is ready
to use, but when I try to print a test page or document the it comes up on
the printer lcd to switch off and back on again and nothing else happens
except for the fact that the document is in the print queue, any
suggestions?? (i am running kaspersky internet security, firewall included if
that makes a difference)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-19-2007
RST
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Printing Problem
On Sep 19, 12:20 pm, Mark Roberts
<MarkRobe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have a desktop running Vista Home Premium with no parallel printer ports
> only USB. I also have a HP PSC 500 all in one printer with no USB ports. I
> have connected both using a USB to Parallel Bi-Directional Cable. Vista
> recognises the printer and installs the driver correctly and says it is ready
> to use, but when I try to print a test page or document the it comes up on
> the printer lcd to switch off and back on again and nothing else happens
> except for the fact that the document is in the print queue, any
> suggestions?? (i am running kaspersky internet security, firewall included if
> that makes a difference)


Probably another print spooler problem. - RST

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-19-2007
Prakash
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Printing Problem
Mark, as you are using the USB-Parallel support, we have to check the port
selected for the printer in Ports tab.

Please let me know if it is USB or Parallel port at the computer end.

So that, I will guide you through the process.

Waiting for your response...
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-19-2007
Cal Bear '66
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Printing Problem
As I recall, not certain though, from previous posts you will need a Vista
driver for the parallel to USB cable.


I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!


"Mark Roberts" <MarkRoberts@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:181DAB98-F662-4552-8AE2-9A86ADAB176D@microsoft.com...
>I have a desktop running Vista Home Premium with no parallel printer ports
> only USB. I also have a HP PSC 500 all in one printer with no USB ports. I
> have connected both using a USB to Parallel Bi-Directional Cable. Vista
> recognises the printer and installs the driver correctly and says it is ready
> to use, but when I try to print a test page or document the it comes up on
> the printer lcd to switch off and back on again and nothing else happens
> except for the fact that the document is in the print queue, any
> suggestions?? (i am running kaspersky internet security, firewall included if
> that makes a difference)



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-20-2007
Mark Roberts
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Printing Problem
Its a USB port at the computer end, then a cable to a female parallel plug
which the normal parallel printer cable from the printer connects to. I've
checked the port that Vista says the printer is connected to and its USB001
Virtual Printer Port.

"Prakash" wrote:

> Mark, as you are using the USB-Parallel support, we have to check the port
> selected for the printer in Ports tab.
>
> Please let me know if it is USB or Parallel port at the computer end.
>
> So that, I will guide you through the process.
>
> Waiting for your response...

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-20-2007
Prakash
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Printing Problem
Okay then, Please turn the printer off and disconnect from the computer.

Please turn the printer on and connect the printer to the computer. The
computer should display the message "Found New Hardware" at the right lower
corner at the task bar. Please check for that message.

And, please follow the steps below:

1. Click Start button >> Right click on Computer >> Select Properties.
2. Click Device Manager option on the left side pane and double-click the
Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

3. Click plus sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
4. Click plus sign next to USB ROOT HUB (you can find more than one entries)

If you find an entry named USB Printing support or HP (DeskJet/Inkjet)
PRINTER related entries or UNKNOWN devices--- right-click on the USB ROOT
HUB that contains this entries > Uninstall/Remove > OK.

If the computer ask for a restart click NO

5. Click Apply and then click OK.

The USB ports are now uninstalled. Now, restart the system. The system
automatically detects and reinstalls the USB ports.

After that, please try to print.

I hope, this should resolve the issue.

Please let me know the result.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-21-2007
Mark Roberts
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Printing Problem
No unfortunately this did not work, same problem exists after trying your
method. Vista found the USB printing support device after I had uninstalled
and rebooted, and then Vista installed the printer driver for the HP PSC 500,
but when I tried printing the same happened, the printer lcd displayed "TURN
PRINTER OFF THEN ON AGAIN" and the print job stayed in the queue until I took
out the usb connector from the back of the PC. I think I'm resigned to just
getting a new printer with USB output, unless you have any more suggestions?
A couple of people have suggested a print spool problem? or a problem with
the parallel to USB adapter cable I'm using? Thanks for your ongoing support.

"Prakash" wrote:

> Okay then, Please turn the printer off and disconnect from the computer.
>
> Please turn the printer on and connect the printer to the computer. The
> computer should display the message "Found New Hardware" at the right lower
> corner at the task bar. Please check for that message.
>
> And, please follow the steps below:
>
> 1. Click Start button >> Right click on Computer >> Select Properties.
> 2. Click Device Manager option on the left side pane and double-click the
> Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
>
> 3. Click plus sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
> 4. Click plus sign next to USB ROOT HUB (you can find more than one entries)
>
> If you find an entry named USB Printing support or HP (DeskJet/Inkjet)
> PRINTER related entries or UNKNOWN devices--- right-click on the USB ROOT
> HUB that contains this entries > Uninstall/Remove > OK.
>
> If the computer ask for a restart click NO
>
> 5. Click Apply and then click OK.
>
> The USB ports are now uninstalled. Now, restart the system. The system
> automatically detects and reinstalls the USB ports.
>
> After that, please try to print.
>
> I hope, this should resolve the issue.
>
> Please let me know the result.
>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-21-2007
Alan Morris [MSFT]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Printing Problem
The only USB to parallel cable I have ever gotten to reliably work on a
number of different devices is the Belkin F5U002. Most vendors will not
support this configuration to their parallel printers and Canon has some
devices that will absolutely not work with any of these cable types.

Ask HP if they can recommend the correct USB to parallel cable for this
device.

The USB Port that gets created is for the electronic chip that is part of
the converter cable.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Mark Roberts" <MarkRoberts@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F5C568F9-B67B-4BCA-A818-6B4D0D5C4DEE@microsoft.com...
> No unfortunately this did not work, same problem exists after trying your
> method. Vista found the USB printing support device after I had
> uninstalled
> and rebooted, and then Vista installed the printer driver for the HP PSC
> 500,
> but when I tried printing the same happened, the printer lcd displayed
> "TURN
> PRINTER OFF THEN ON AGAIN" and the print job stayed in the queue until I
> took
> out the usb connector from the back of the PC. I think I'm resigned to
> just
> getting a new printer with USB output, unless you have any more
> suggestions?
> A couple of people have suggested a print spool problem? or a problem with
> the parallel to USB adapter cable I'm using? Thanks for your ongoing
> support.
>
> "Prakash" wrote:
>
>> Okay then, Please turn the printer off and disconnect from the computer.
>>
>> Please turn the printer on and connect the printer to the computer. The
>> computer should display the message "Found New Hardware" at the right
>> lower
>> corner at the task bar. Please check for that message.
>>
>> And, please follow the steps below:
>>
>> 1. Click Start button >> Right click on Computer >> Select Properties.
>> 2. Click Device Manager option on the left side pane and double-click the
>> Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
>>
>> 3. Click plus sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
>> 4. Click plus sign next to USB ROOT HUB (you can find more than one
>> entries)
>>
>> If you find an entry named USB Printing support or HP (DeskJet/Inkjet)
>> PRINTER related entries or UNKNOWN devices--- right-click on the USB
>> ROOT
>> HUB that contains this entries > Uninstall/Remove > OK.
>>
>> If the computer ask for a restart click NO
>>
>> 5. Click Apply and then click OK.
>>
>> The USB ports are now uninstalled. Now, restart the system. The system
>> automatically detects and reinstalls the USB ports.
>>
>> After that, please try to print.
>>
>> I hope, this should resolve the issue.
>>
>> Please let me know the result.
>>



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-25-2007
RST
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Printing Problem
On Sep 19, 12:55 pm, RST <rsm...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> On Sep 19, 12:20 pm, Mark Roberts
>
> <MarkRobe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > I have a desktop running Vista Home Premium with no parallel printer ports
> > only USB. I also have a HP PSC 500 all in one printer with no USB ports. I
> > have connected both using a USB to Parallel Bi-Directional Cable. Vista
> > recognises the printer and installs the driver correctly and says it is ready
> > to use, but when I try to print a test page or document the it comes up on
> > the printer lcd to switch off and back on again and nothing else happens
> > except for the fact that the document is in the print queue, any
> > suggestions?? (i am running kaspersky internet security, firewall included if
> > that makes a difference)

>
> Probably another print spooler problem. - RST


The material you want to print is in the print spooler. In the
current state of Vista, you would need to give it a kick to make it
release its contents: Control Panel -> Administrative tools ->
Services -> Printer spooler. Then click "Restart"; that would do it.
But you will need to do that every time you want to print something.
I actually have the print spooler window reduced to the task bar, so
that after clicking print somewhere, I go to the print spooler and
click "Restart". Hope the next Vista update would have this problem
solved. The current print spooler is already smoother than pre-
update.

Regards,

RST





Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2008
jdavlaw
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Printing Problem

Hey there, if you get this figured out, let me know ,Thank you,,,heres
what i posted 2-3 days ago.David (jdavlaw)

Originally, 2 months ago, bought brand new gateway GT5628 + comcast
high speed internet. Just now started/trying to get this PSC 500 to work
with VISTA. NO-GO. Been talking to HP, they have been helping alot, but
not quiet there yet, computer does not recognize printer, conversely,
printer tells me I'm not connected to computer. Will try to remember
everything I can, to write here.
Day 1, geek squad stuck some kindof memory stick in my USB, (maybe $69)
to wipe out stuff that comes up on startup/junk that I dont need and
they installed Kapersky for me. I get home and have to turn my windows
firewall off, cause with kapersky, it would not let me download music.
So here I am, trying to get a 25 pin male from HP500 to fit my
computer, no-go. Go out and buy "PP210 dual parallel PCI card". Remove
phone modem from computer, and install pci card and drivers, no problem.
Plug 25 pin male from hp500 and so it begins.
I have been thru these posts, and am in serious need of help. Have
installed and removed and power conditioned/cycled this printer over 10
times, still no-go. Tried different ports, no-go. Tried Alternate
drivers, no-go. Any help will be appreciated AND TRIED, as I am at my
wits end here. David


--
jdavlaw
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
printing email problem =?Utf-8?B?U2lwcGVy?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 13 06-28-2009 01:30
Printing Problem and Solution Seigfried microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 07-10-2007 20:14
Network printing problem Hammer microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 07-07-2007 03:51
problem printing in vista khalid357@verizon.net microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 0 06-09-2007 15:22
Printing Problem Angel D microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 0 06-01-2007 14:21




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:33.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120