USB ports not listed ?!!

Prakash

USB ports not listed ?!!
Hi,
I need some help from you all.

I was using Windows XP. And, I used the HP Deskjet 3820 printer with Windows
XP by connecting to the USB port. When I see the ports, I can see
USB001,USB002,USB003,USB004 ports in Printer Properties and USB001 is
selected for the printer. And, recently my system is upgraded to Windows
Vista. But, there are no USB ports listed to select for the printer. I'm
unable to install the printer.

Please help me !

Cal Bear '66

Re: USB ports not listed ?!!
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=75045&lang=en

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Prakash" <Prakash@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I need some help from you all.
>
> I was using Windows XP. And, I used the HP Deskjet 3820 printer with Windows
> XP by connecting to the USB port. When I see the ports, I can see
> USB001,USB002,USB003,USB004 ports in Printer Properties and USB001 is
> selected for the printer. And, recently my system is upgraded to Windows
> Vista. But, there are no USB ports listed to select for the printer. I'm
> unable to install the printer.
>
> Please help me !

Prakash

Re: USB ports not listed ?!!
I am sorry.

I have no USB ports listed in the computer. I can select LPT1 port and
continue. But, to work with the printer, We must select USB001 port as it is
connected to the USB port.

Cal Bear '66

Re: USB ports not listed ?!!
Control Panel (Classic view) > Printers > Menu (ALT key if not visible) >
File > Add printer > Add a local printer > From the "Use and existing port"
drop down list, you do not have the USB001 listed?

Can you try to create it from the "Create a new port" > Local port > Port
name?

>I am sorry.
>
> I have no USB ports listed in the computer. I can select LPT1 port and
> continue. But, to work with the printer, We must select USB001 port as it is
> connected to the USB port.

Christos

RE: USB ports not listed ?!!

The same problem here. Home premium (genuine) bought with an ACER laptop.

HP told me to select LPT1 and then to swap to DOT4 (USB). However you can't
switch to an unexistant port.

Oh yes! I've tried to create a bogus one. With any name. Even Mickey Mouse.
What's the point? A name of a port which sends the data where? It's not the
name, but the hardware that does the work.

Not to mention that in Control Panel says "USB printers are automatically
installed as you boot Windows, use ADD PRINTER for any other printer than USB"

Yeah! Sure!

Hey Microsoft. A refund please! Is there any lawyer in the audience?
Stiggy

Re: USB ports not listed ?!!

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problem. I'm running Vista business x64. I
just recently bough a Samsung SCX-4200 printer/scanner combination and
the scanner works perfectly, but I cannot get the printer installed.
I've tried to install and uninstall the drivers like a million times in
different ways, but nothing.

I think the problem is that I don't have a "virtual USB printer port"
on Vista. I think it's supposed to work so that once you install the
printer Vista automatically creates it, but not for me.

Samsung driver install notified me that the install was successful, but
Vista seems to think the driver isn't installed. Every time I plug the
printer in new hardware wizard starts. It searches Windows update and
finds nothing. Then when it asks me to manually point where the driver
is I browse to the directory on Samsung cd, but that doesn't work
either.

I've tried to change the port on printer properties, but I don't see a
USB port there. I can't even create one using add new port type.

So what I did next was I loaned an Epson stylus D68 printer (usb) that
I plugged in. I can't get this thing to install either.

Both printers work in linux just fine. Soo, should I just remove this
dumb OS and install XP again or is there something I can do?

--
Stiggy
RST

Re: USB ports not listed ?!!
On Sep 19, 11:46 am, Prakash <Prak...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I am sorry.
>
> I have no USB ports listed in the computer. I can select LPT1 port and
> continue. But, to work with the printer, We must select USB001 port as it is
> connected to the USB port.

In my daughter's Vista laptop, when "LPT1" appears, one can click the
right downward triangle and pull down a menu. Near the end of that
menu are the USB ports.

Regards,

RST

RST

Re: USB ports not listed ?!!
On Sep 24, 6:20 pm, Stiggy <Stiggy.2xf...@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

> Both printers work in linux just fine. Soo, should I just remove this
> dumb OS and install XP again or is there something I can do?

Hurrah. I have to handle M$ products only when necessary, in
particular when they come with a computer purchase.

SuSE 10.3RC1 is very nice.

Regards,

RST

Christos

RE: USB ports not listed ?!!
OK guys the solution is here with the compliments of H.P.

I would like to thank HP technicians for helping me, for their time of
course and for doing what Microsoft can't do (speaking of that: having the
"worked in Microsoft" entry in your CV shouldn't say much).

I'm copying / pasting the solution:

We suggest you to steps below to resolve this issue:

1) Please right click on 'My Computer' icon and click on Properties.

2) Click 'Device Manager' button under the 'Hardware' tab.

3) Please right click on the LaserJet 1320 DOT4 entry under IEEE 1284.4 and
click Update Driver.

4) In the Update Driver Wizard, Please select the 'Install from a List or
Specific Location' and proceed.

Note: If you get the Windows Update window, please select 'No not at this
time and click next.

5) In the next window, select 'Don't Search I will Choose the Driver to
Install' option and click next.

6) Select 'USB Printing Support and proceed to complete the Wizard.

Note: If you get a Found New Hardware wizard after completing this wizard,
please cancel it.

7) Click Start - Printers & faxes.

8) Right click on the Printer icon and select Properties - Ports.

9) Select the USB_001 and click Apply button.

10) Select the General tab in the Properties window and click Print Test
Page to print a test page to verify that the issue has been resolved to your
satisfaction.

And it words fine!