Remote Printer Problem

MikeM

Remote Printer Problem
I have a Samsung CLP-550 attached to an XP MCE machine and it works properly.
When I attempt to access it from another machine that is running Vista
Premium, it doesn't show on the list of printers. I then;
Open Control Panel->Printers
Add a Network Printer. This shows the SamsungColor on SRV (its shared)
When I try to add it, I'm told to install the printer driver
I accept UAC and the install attempts to connect to the remote printer
I get a dialog saying that it it Connecting to.. then,
I get an error that "Windows cannot connect to the printer. There is not
enough memory to complete this operation. Close programs and try again."

I suspect the message is bogus since the Vista machine has 2gb of memory and
the XP machine has 1gb available.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike
Malke

Re: Remote Printer Problem
MikeM wrote:
> I have a Samsung CLP-550 attached to an XP MCE machine and it works properly.
> When I attempt to access it from another machine that is running Vista
> Premium, it doesn't show on the list of printers. I then;
> Open Control Panel->Printers
> Add a Network Printer. This shows the SamsungColor on SRV (its shared)
> When I try to add it, I'm told to install the printer driver
> I accept UAC and the install attempts to connect to the remote printer
> I get a dialog saying that it it Connecting to.. then,
> I get an error that "Windows cannot connect to the printer. There is not
> enough memory to complete this operation. Close programs and try again."
>
> I suspect the message is bogus since the Vista machine has 2gb of memory and
> the XP machine has 1gb available.

Go to Samsung's website and download Vista drivers for the printer.
Install them on your Vista machine. Now do the Add/Printer routine.

Since you see the printer when you go through the Add Printer wizard, I
assume that you have properly set up file/printer sharing between the XP
MCE and Vista machines. If you are uncertain about this, review the
information at this link:

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
MikeM

Re: Remote Printer Problem
I did as you instructed and downloaded the file
20070128170053390_CLP-550_GDI_Vista.exe from the site. When I installed it,
it created a local printer on the Vista machine. I removed that one and
tried to install the remote printer. It failed in the same was as originally.

BTW, I think I already had the driver installed because the install program
said it was repairing it.

Mike

"Malke" wrote:

> MikeM wrote:
> > I have a Samsung CLP-550 attached to an XP MCE machine and it works properly.
> > When I attempt to access it from another machine that is running Vista
> > Premium, it doesn't show on the list of printers. I then;
> > Open Control Panel->Printers
> > Add a Network Printer. This shows the SamsungColor on SRV (its shared)
> > When I try to add it, I'm told to install the printer driver
> > I accept UAC and the install attempts to connect to the remote printer
> > I get a dialog saying that it it Connecting to.. then,
> > I get an error that "Windows cannot connect to the printer. There is not
> > enough memory to complete this operation. Close programs and try again."
> >
> > I suspect the message is bogus since the Vista machine has 2gb of memory and
> > the XP machine has 1gb available.

> Go to Samsung's website and download Vista drivers for the printer.
> Install them on your Vista machine. Now do the Add/Printer routine.
>
> Since you see the printer when you go through the Add Printer wizard, I
> assume that you have properly set up file/printer sharing between the XP
> MCE and Vista machines. If you are uncertain about this, review the
> information at this link:

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

RST

Re: Remote Printer Problem
On Sep 19, 7:54 am, MikeM <Mi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I did as you instructed and downloaded the file
> 20070128170053390_CLP-550_GDI_Vista.exe from the site. When I installed it,
> it created a local printer on the Vista machine. I removed that one and
> tried to install the remote printer. It failed in the same was as originally.
>
> BTW, I think I already had the driver installed because the install program
> said it was repairing it.
>
> Mike
>
> "Malke" wrote:
> > MikeM wrote:
> > > I have a Samsung CLP-550 attached to an XP MCE machine and it works properly.
> > > When I attempt to access it from another machine that is running Vista
> > > Premium, it doesn't show on the list of printers. I then;
> > > Open Control Panel->Printers
> > > Add a Network Printer. This shows the SamsungColor on SRV (its shared)
> > > When I try to add it, I'm told to install the printer driver
> > > I accept UAC and the install attempts to connect to the remote printer
> > > I get a dialog saying that it it Connecting to.. then,
> > > I get an error that "Windows cannot connect to the printer. There is not
> > > enough memory to complete this operation. Close programs and try again."

> > > I suspect the message is bogus since the Vista machine has 2gb of memory and
> > > the XP machine has 1gb available.

> > Go to Samsung's website and download Vista drivers for the printer.
> > Install them on your Vista machine. Now do the Add/Printer routine.

> > Since you see the printer when you go through the Add Printer wizard, I
> > assume that you have properly set up file/printer sharing between the XP
> > MCE and Vista machines. If you are uncertain about this, review the
> > information at this link:

> >http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx

> > Malke
> > --
> > Elephant Boy Computers
> >www.elephantboycomputers.com
> > "Don't Panic!"
> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

The Vista drivers for our MC.... printers came with a manual which
tells users to select "local printer" during installation in Vista,
and not "network printers" which Microsoft thinks to be similar to
those on their MSN.