Vista loses my printers

Broyle

Vista loses my printers
I have 2 computers running Vista and have the same problem on both. Sometimes
when I start up Vista can't find my installed printers. If I go to control
panel and click on printers I get nothing. When this happens I have to
restart windows sometimes numerous times before I get the printers.
guydel

RE: Vista loses my printers
I have a similar problem with a HP all-in-one C5180 over a wireless network.
After a setup works fine for days. Then even without using the printer I get
messages from the task bar that HP services, like image monetoring,
networking shutting down. When this happens I cannot access my HP programs; I
get no HP printer detected. This will persist even if I reboot. The HP
verifying tool for driver version cannot even find HP drivers on the
computer. My other computer with XP however is still operationnal so the
problem is with Vista. I tried to explain this with HP chat but they provided
solution to setup the drivers, thus wortless. Appreciate any comments if you
find a solution thanks

"Broyle" wrote:

> I have 2 computers running Vista and have the same problem on both. Sometimes
> when I start up Vista can't find my installed printers. If I go to control
> panel and click on printers I get nothing. When this happens I have to
> restart windows sometimes numerous times before I get the printers.

Broyle

RE: Vista loses my printers
We do seem to have a similar problem, As I said I have this problem on 2
computers both are connected to the printers via wireless. I have Microsoft
XPS Document Writer shown in my printer line up,a lexmark 5400, a cannon
ip4200, and a cannon mp160. I don't think this is a problem with all the
printers and the microsoft image writer as well especially since after a
restart they all come back. I have been fighting this since June and could
use some help.... By the way I deleted INFCACHE.1 as was suggested in other
articles but this morning I could't get my printers and the INFCACHE.1 was
still not there now after a reboot the printers are back and that file is
still not back.

"guydel" wrote:

> I have a similar problem with a HP all-in-one C5180 over a wireless network.
> After a setup works fine for days. Then even without using the printer I get
> messages from the task bar that HP services, like image monetoring,
> networking shutting down. When this happens I cannot access my HP programs; I
> get no HP printer detected. This will persist even if I reboot. The HP
> verifying tool for driver version cannot even find HP drivers on the
> computer. My other computer with XP however is still operationnal so the
> problem is with Vista. I tried to explain this with HP chat but they provided
> solution to setup the drivers, thus wortless. Appreciate any comments if you
> find a solution thanks
>
> "Broyle" wrote:
>
> > I have 2 computers running Vista and have the same problem on both. Sometimes
> > when I start up Vista can't find my installed printers. If I go to control
> > panel and click on printers I get nothing. When this happens I have to
> > restart windows sometimes numerous times before I get the printers.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista loses my printers
The spooler service is crashing. Most likely due to faulting print drivers.

The spooler service will restart twice so the spooler is failing multiple
times. You can change the service to always restart or just restart the
service rather than reboot.

check if there is an spl file under \windows\system32\spool\printers when
you see that there are no printers. There will be a matching shd file which
you can open in notepad and the driver and printer name will be in this
file.

If you are on the internet with better than dialup send the application dump
files to Windows Error Reporting.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Broyle" <Broyle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We do seem to have a similar problem, As I said I have this problem on 2
> computers both are connected to the printers via wireless. I have
> Microsoft
> XPS Document Writer shown in my printer line up,a lexmark 5400, a cannon
> ip4200, and a cannon mp160. I don't think this is a problem with all the
> printers and the microsoft image writer as well especially since after a
> restart they all come back. I have been fighting this since June and could
> use some help.... By the way I deleted INFCACHE.1 as was suggested in
> other
> articles but this morning I could't get my printers and the INFCACHE.1 was
> still not there now after a reboot the printers are back and that file
> is
> still not back.
>
> "guydel" wrote:
>
>> I have a similar problem with a HP all-in-one C5180 over a wireless
>> network.
>> After a setup works fine for days. Then even without using the printer I
>> get
>> messages from the task bar that HP services, like image monetoring,
>> networking shutting down. When this happens I cannot access my HP
>> programs; I
>> get no HP printer detected. This will persist even if I reboot. The HP
>> verifying tool for driver version cannot even find HP drivers on the
>> computer. My other computer with XP however is still operationnal so the
>> problem is with Vista. I tried to explain this with HP chat but they
>> provided
>> solution to setup the drivers, thus wortless. Appreciate any comments if
>> you
>> find a solution thanks
>>
>> "Broyle" wrote:
>>
>> > I have 2 computers running Vista and have the same problem on both.
>> > Sometimes
>> > when I start up Vista can't find my installed printers. If I go to
>> > control
>> > panel and click on printers I get nothing. When this happens I have to
>> > restart windows sometimes numerous times before I get the printers.

guydel

Re: Vista loses my printers
Just crashed. the \windows\system32\spool\printers file is empty. The exact
message I got before it stop functionning was "HP Network Device Support
cessed to function" that translated for eh last part because its in french
"...a cessé de fonctionner". It may have something to do with coming out of
sleep mode. Do you have a solution. I can just had a printer and it works but
my HP software still does see the printer. I do like the scanning and ocr
from HP. So is it HP or Vista the problem ? It's marked on the box Vista
ready and also on your website !!!!

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> The spooler service is crashing. Most likely due to faulting print drivers.
>
> The spooler service will restart twice so the spooler is failing multiple
> times. You can change the service to always restart or just restart the
> service rather than reboot.
>
> check if there is an spl file under \windows\system32\spool\printers when
> you see that there are no printers. There will be a matching shd file which
> you can open in notepad and the driver and printer name will be in this
> file.
>
> If you are on the internet with better than dialup send the application dump
> files to Windows Error Reporting.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Broyle" <Broyle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We do seem to have a similar problem, As I said I have this problem on 2
> > computers both are connected to the printers via wireless. I have
> > Microsoft
> > XPS Document Writer shown in my printer line up,a lexmark 5400, a cannon
> > ip4200, and a cannon mp160. I don't think this is a problem with all the
> > printers and the microsoft image writer as well especially since after a
> > restart they all come back. I have been fighting this since June and could
> > use some help.... By the way I deleted INFCACHE.1 as was suggested in
> > other
> > articles but this morning I could't get my printers and the INFCACHE.1 was
> > still not there now after a reboot the printers are back and that file
> > is
> > still not back.
> >
> > "guydel" wrote:
> >
> >> I have a similar problem with a HP all-in-one C5180 over a wireless
> >> network.
> >> After a setup works fine for days. Then even without using the printer I
> >> get
> >> messages from the task bar that HP services, like image monetoring,
> >> networking shutting down. When this happens I cannot access my HP
> >> programs; I
> >> get no HP printer detected. This will persist even if I reboot. The HP
> >> verifying tool for driver version cannot even find HP drivers on the
> >> computer. My other computer with XP however is still operationnal so the
> >> problem is with Vista. I tried to explain this with HP chat but they
> >> provided
> >> solution to setup the drivers, thus wortless. Appreciate any comments if
> >> you
> >> find a solution thanks

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista loses my printers
What dependencies are listed for the service Print Spooler in Control Panel,
Administrative Tools, Services.

Both what the spooler depends on and what depends on the spooler.

I'd also take a look at the HP Network Device Support service since you're
in there.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"guydel" <guydel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just crashed. the \windows\system32\spool\printers file is empty. The
> exact
> message I got before it stop functionning was "HP Network Device Support
> cessed to function" that translated for eh last part because its in french
> "...a cessé de fonctionner". It may have something to do with coming out
> of
> sleep mode. Do you have a solution. I can just had a printer and it works
> but
> my HP software still does see the printer. I do like the scanning and ocr
> from HP. So is it HP or Vista the problem ? It's marked on the box Vista
> ready and also on your website !!!!
>
> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> The spooler service is crashing. Most likely due to faulting print
>> drivers.
>>
>> The spooler service will restart twice so the spooler is failing multiple
>> times. You can change the service to always restart or just restart the
>> service rather than reboot.
>>
>> check if there is an spl file under \windows\system32\spool\printers when
>> you see that there are no printers. There will be a matching shd file
>> which
>> you can open in notepad and the driver and printer name will be in this
>> file.
>>
>> If you are on the internet with better than dialup send the application
>> dump
>> files to Windows Error Reporting.
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team

>> rights.
>>
>> "Broyle" <Broyle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > We do seem to have a similar problem, As I said I have this problem on
>> > 2
>> > computers both are connected to the printers via wireless. I have
>> > Microsoft
>> > XPS Document Writer shown in my printer line up,a lexmark 5400, a
>> > cannon
>> > ip4200, and a cannon mp160. I don't think this is a problem with all
>> > the
>> > printers and the microsoft image writer as well especially since after
>> > restart they all come back. I have been fighting this since June and
>> > could
>> > use some help.... By the way I deleted INFCACHE.1 as was suggested in
>> > other
>> > articles but this morning I could't get my printers and the INFCACHE.1
>> > was
>> > still not there now after a reboot the printers are back and that
>> > file
>> > is
>> > still not back.

Broyle

Re: Vista loses my printers
I am waiting for one of my computers to fail again (it sometimes takes a
couple days) note I loose all 3 printers and "microsoft document and image
writer" at the same time, they cease to exist in the printers section of
Control Panel. After I get another failure I'll try to send the dump files in
but will need direction on how to do this. Also how do I restart the spooler
service and how do I set it to always restart.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> What dependencies are listed for the service Print Spooler in Control Panel,
> Administrative Tools, Services.
>
> Both what the spooler depends on and what depends on the spooler.
>
> I'd also take a look at the HP Network Device Support service since you're
> in there.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "guydel" <guydel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Just crashed. the \windows\system32\spool\printers file is empty. The
> > exact
> > message I got before it stop functionning was "HP Network Device Support
> > cessed to function" that translated for eh last part because its in french
> > "...a cessé de fonctionner". It may have something to do with coming out
> > of
> > sleep mode. Do you have a solution. I can just had a printer and it works
> > but
> > my HP software still does see the printer. I do like the scanning and ocr
> > from HP. So is it HP or Vista the problem ? It's marked on the box Vista
> > ready and also on your website !!!!
> >
> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> The spooler service is crashing. Most likely due to faulting print
> >> drivers.
> >>
> >> The spooler service will restart twice so the spooler is failing multiple
> >> times. You can change the service to always restart or just restart the
> >> service rather than reboot.
> >>
> >> check if there is an spl file under \windows\system32\spool\printers when
> >> you see that there are no printers. There will be a matching shd file
> >> which
> >> you can open in notepad and the driver and printer name will be in this
> >> file.
> >>
> >> If you are on the internet with better than dialup send the application
> >> dump
> >> files to Windows Error Reporting.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Alan Morris
> >> Windows Printing Team
> >> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> >> rights.

guydel

Re: Vista loses my printers
In HP Network Device Support dépendancy is RPC in french "appel de procédure
distante" roughly transaled as "remote calling procedure" and also to
"lanceur de processus serveur DCOM" transalation "starter of process server
DCOM".
««««««for the spooler what I have is "spouleur d'impression" that would be
printing spooler, the same dependancy as above + HTTP
Question HP Network device Support is in automatique(deferred) what is
deferred for ?
Suggestion: can't Bill by is own printer and let you experiment with it !!!
It only cost me 179 $ he's worth around 40 billion and counting....

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> What dependencies are listed for the service Print Spooler in Control Panel,
> Administrative Tools, Services.
>
> Both what the spooler depends on and what depends on the spooler.
>
> I'd also take a look at the HP Network Device Support service since you're
> in there.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "guydel" <guydel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Just crashed. the \windows\system32\spool\printers file is empty. The
> > exact
> > message I got before it stop functionning was "HP Network Device Support
> > cessed to function" that translated for eh last part because its in french
> > "...a cessé de fonctionner". It may have something to do with coming out
> > of
> > sleep mode. Do you have a solution. I can just had a printer and it works
> > but
> > my HP software still does see the printer. I do like the scanning and ocr
> > from HP. So is it HP or Vista the problem ? It's marked on the box Vista
> > ready and also on your website !!!!
> >
> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> The spooler service is crashing. Most likely due to faulting print
> >> drivers.
> >>
> >> The spooler service will restart twice so the spooler is failing multiple
> >> times. You can change the service to always restart or just restart the
> >> service rather than reboot.
> >>
> >> check if there is an spl file under \windows\system32\spool\printers when
> >> you see that there are no printers. There will be a matching shd file
> >> which
> >> you can open in notepad and the driver and printer name will be in this
> >> file.
> >>
> >> If you are on the internet with better than dialup send the application
> >> dump
> >> files to Windows Error Reporting.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Alan Morris
> >> Windows Printing Team
> >> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> >> rights.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista loses my printers
I'll let the testers from HP who work here, verify inbox drivers. Some
other team at HP tests drivers that do not ship with the OS.

The dependencies are correct and it makes sense that the HP Network Device
Support service fails when the spooler has failed.

At this point, it's best just to uninstall the HP software and driver and
start over. Be sure to use the HP uninstall program so all the HP stuff
gets cleaned up.

Bruce has some good suggestions as well.

> In HP Network Device Support dépendancy is RPC in french "appel de
> procédure
> distante" roughly transaled as "remote calling procedure" and also to
> "lanceur de processus serveur DCOM" transalation "starter of process
> server
> DCOM".
> ««««««for the spooler what I have is "spouleur d'impression" that would be
> printing spooler, the same dependancy as above + HTTP
> Question HP Network device Support is in automatique(deferred) what is
> deferred for ?
> Suggestion: can't Bill by is own printer and let you experiment with it
> !!!
> It only cost me 179 $ he's worth around 40 billion and counting....
>
> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> What dependencies are listed for the service Print Spooler in Control
>> Panel,
>> Administrative Tools, Services.
>>
>> Both what the spooler depends on and what depends on the spooler.
>>
>> I'd also take a look at the HP Network Device Support service since
>> you're
>> in there.
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team

>> rights.
>>
>> "guydel" <guydel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Just crashed. the \windows\system32\spool\printers file is empty. The
>> > exact
>> > message I got before it stop functionning was "HP Network Device
>> > Support
>> > cessed to function" that translated for eh last part because its in
>> > french
>> > "...a cessé de fonctionner". It may have something to do with coming
>> > out
>> > of
>> > sleep mode. Do you have a solution. I can just had a printer and it
>> > works
>> > but
>> > my HP software still does see the printer. I do like the scanning and
>> > ocr
>> > from HP. So is it HP or Vista the problem ? It's marked on the box
>> > Vista
>> > ready and also on your website !!!!

guydel

Re: Vista loses my printers
If I'm not mistaken, the spooler is like a cache for the data sent to the
printer. How can it crash when I'm not using it. I get the message HP Device
Support ceasing to function, radomly for instance when I'm suffer the net or
even nothing ?

Secondly the HP error number is
0x00010fb4[fceb1818-6e7d-4930-8b8c-c45e32bc7d7a]. Mite be useful to the HP
team.When can I expect a solution ?