Won't rpint until reboot

fanofthemick

Won't rpint until reboot
I have a shared printer on a Vista system and 2 XP systems on the same
Workgroup. One of the XP systems can print to the shared Vista printer with
no problem. The other sends the file to the queue but it doesn't print until
I reboot the Vista system. I can't kill the print job and no other jobs will
print until the problem one prints on re-boot. This happens regardless of
what the content of what I am trying to print - emails, Word, Excel, etc. -
it happens to any data sent to that printer form the other PC. Any
suggestions on the cause and solution? The printer is an HP 1020 Laser
connected via a USB port. It used to work until I plugged the printer into a
different USB port on the Vista system and now the same thing happens
regardless of what USB port it is plugged into.
RST

Re: Won't rpint until reboot
On Sep 18, 10:56 am, fanofthemick
<fanofthem...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have a shared printer on a Vista system and 2 XP systems on the same
> Workgroup. One of the XP systems can print to the shared Vista printer with
> no problem. The other sends the file to the queue but it doesn't print until
> I reboot the Vista system. I can't kill the print job and no other jobs will
> print until the problem one prints on re-boot. This happens regardless of
> what the content of what I am trying to print - emails, Word, Excel, etc. -
> it happens to any data sent to that printer form the other PC. Any
> suggestions on the cause and solution? The printer is an HP 1020 Laser
> connected via a USB port. It used to work until I plugged the printer into a
> different USB port on the Vista system and now the same thing happens
> regardless of what USB port it is plugged into.

Probably another Vista print spooler problem.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Won't rpint until reboot
This sounds like a security issue. When you reboot the machine, the spooler
no longer has the security ID of the sender and schedules the job in system
context. The job will most likely print if you stop and start the spooler.

Now the real question is why the printer will not work for one user until a
spooler restart.

Does the user it works for have admin rights on the machine that shares the
printer?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"RST" <rsmtse@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
news:1190221730.350276.8820@r29g2000hsg.googlegrou ps.com...
> On Sep 18, 10:56 am, fanofthemick
> <fanofthem...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> I have a shared printer on a Vista system and 2 XP systems on the same
>> Workgroup. One of the XP systems can print to the shared Vista printer
>> with
>> no problem. The other sends the file to the queue but it doesn't print
>> until
>> I reboot the Vista system. I can't kill the print job and no other jobs
>> will
>> print until the problem one prints on re-boot. This happens regardless
>> of
>> what the content of what I am trying to print - emails, Word, Excel,
>> etc. -
>> it happens to any data sent to that printer form the other PC. Any
>> suggestions on the cause and solution? The printer is an HP 1020 Laser
>> connected via a USB port. It used to work until I plugged the printer
>> into a
>> different USB port on the Vista system and now the same thing happens
>> regardless of what USB port it is plugged into.

> Probably another Vista print spooler problem.

fanofthemick

Re: Won't rpint until reboot
no - the user on the machine that it works from shows as Guest under the
Owner column on the printer queue file list.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> This sounds like a security issue. When you reboot the machine, the spooler
> no longer has the security ID of the sender and schedules the job in system
> context. The job will most likely print if you stop and start the spooler.
>
> Now the real question is why the printer will not work for one user until a
> spooler restart.
>
> Does the user it works for have admin rights on the machine that shares the
> printer?
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "RST" <rsmtse@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> news:1190221730.350276.8820@r29g2000hsg.googlegrou ps.com...
> > On Sep 18, 10:56 am, fanofthemick
> > <fanofthem...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >> I have a shared printer on a Vista system and 2 XP systems on the same
> >> Workgroup. One of the XP systems can print to the shared Vista printer
> >> with
> >> no problem. The other sends the file to the queue but it doesn't print
> >> until
> >> I reboot the Vista system. I can't kill the print job and no other jobs
> >> will
> >> print until the problem one prints on re-boot. This happens regardless
> >> of
> >> what the content of what I am trying to print - emails, Word, Excel,
> >> etc. -
> >> it happens to any data sent to that printer form the other PC. Any
> >> suggestions on the cause and solution? The printer is an HP 1020 Laser
> >> connected via a USB port. It used to work until I plugged the printer
> >> into a
> >> different USB port on the Vista system and now the same thing happens
> >> regardless of what USB port it is plugged into.

> > Probably another Vista print spooler problem.

fanofthemick

Re: Won't rpint until reboot
When I stop and re-start the spooler the file prints but this is annoying and
i have no idea what is causing that to happen. I've checked all the security
things I can find but see nothing that looks like it would cause the issue.
I do notice the when I look at the file in the queue it shows the Owner as
Home whereas on the system it does print with no problems from the file shows
with an Owner of Guest. Any idea how to change the Owner assigned to the
file in the queue or how that is determined?

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> This sounds like a security issue. When you reboot the machine, the spooler
> no longer has the security ID of the sender and schedules the job in system
> context. The job will most likely print if you stop and start the spooler.
>
> Now the real question is why the printer will not work for one user until a
> spooler restart.
>
> Does the user it works for have admin rights on the machine that shares the
> printer?
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "RST" <rsmtse@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> news:1190221730.350276.8820@r29g2000hsg.googlegrou ps.com...
> > On Sep 18, 10:56 am, fanofthemick
> > <fanofthem...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >> I have a shared printer on a Vista system and 2 XP systems on the same
> >> Workgroup. One of the XP systems can print to the shared Vista printer
> >> with
> >> no problem. The other sends the file to the queue but it doesn't print
> >> until
> >> I reboot the Vista system. I can't kill the print job and no other jobs
> >> will
> >> print until the problem one prints on re-boot. This happens regardless
> >> of
> >> what the content of what I am trying to print - emails, Word, Excel,
> >> etc. -
> >> it happens to any data sent to that printer form the other PC. Any
> >> suggestions on the cause and solution? The printer is an HP 1020 Laser
> >> connected via a USB port. It used to work until I plugged the printer
> >> into a
> >> different USB port on the Vista system and now the same thing happens
> >> regardless of what USB port it is plugged into.

> > Probably another Vista print spooler problem.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Won't rpint until reboot
This happens at the network layer. Do you have a user with the name HOME on
one of the connecting machines?

By default the print job is passed to the spooler as GUEST on home networks.

there is some help on setting up your network for Vista.

Vista network configuration

Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team