faxing thru voice over internet phone service

Jim D.

faxing thru voice over internet phone service
I have a HP all in one unit that is connected to my ISP cable modem,then that
is connected to my computer. I was told that I cannot fax thru the Vista Fax
& Scan program as the ISP has what is called Dynamic configuration not Static
Configuration when sending. They also stated that MS has an uplink for Vista
to handle VOIP Dynamic Configurations which will let the Fax & Scan program
work.
Does anyone know if this is true ? If so how can I get this from MS ?
Thank you very much for any help that you can provide, from a new babe in
the forest.
--
Jim D.
Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

Re: faxing thru voice over internet phone service
Your post is a little difficult to interpret:

1. You cannot use Fax and Scan to send Faxes from your all in one regardless
of what type connection to the outside world it has. Fax and Scan only
works with standard, analog Fax modems.

2. A standard, analog Fax modem only knows about standard telephone lines.
If your VoIP gadget has an RJ11 jack on it that you can connect a standard
telephone to, you might be able to use this with a Fax modem. I say
"might" because many VoIP services can detect and BLOCK Fax modem traffic
until you pay for Fax capability.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

"Jim D." <posidenmarine@optonline.net> wrote in message
> I have a HP all in one unit that is connected to my ISP cable modem,then

that
> is connected to my computer. I was told that I cannot fax thru the Vista

Fax
> & Scan program as the ISP has what is called Dynamic configuration not

Static
> Configuration when sending. They also stated that MS has an uplink for

Vista
> to handle VOIP Dynamic Configurations which will let the Fax & Scan

program
> work.
> Does anyone know if this is true ? If so how can I get this from MS ?
> Thank you very much for any help that you can provide, from a new babe in
> the forest.
> --
> Jim D.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: faxing thru voice over internet phone service
and in addition, MS has no "uplink" that will let WFS work with VOIP.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]