Fax scanned image from jpg format

Steve

Fax scanned image from jpg format
Before I did a clean install of Vista I was able to fax all my scanned images
that were in a jpg format. Not with the new install I no longer have that
ability. I am forced to convert the scans to .tif format to fax them. Fax
and Scan tells me to check the help file for attaching images to faxes, but I
can't find anything specific in there, so I was wondering if anyone here
might have an idea.

Thanks,
Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

Re: Fax scanned image from jpg format
What OS were you running before Vista? How were you Faxing these images?
On my Vista machine, I can open a .JPG (it defaults to opening in Windows
Photo Gallery), click "Print", select "Fax" and send it just fine.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

> Before I did a clean install of Vista I was able to fax all my scanned

images
> that were in a jpg format. Not with the new install I no longer have that
> ability. I am forced to convert the scans to .tif format to fax them.

Fax
> and Scan tells me to check the help file for attaching images to faxes,

but I
> can't find anything specific in there, so I was wondering if anyone here
> might have an idea.
>
> Thanks,

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Fax scanned image from jpg format
....also, WFS is the first iteration of this fax service that will actually
handle rendering of image files on its own without requiring a printto verb
for the image's default application. I can fax an image file as an
attachment just fine with my clean install of Vista and I've seen no reports
like yours from anyone so far. So we need more detailed steps to repro in
order to investigate, including what was different "Before."

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
> Before I did a clean install of Vista I was able to fax all my scanned
> images
> that were in a jpg format. Not with the new install I no longer have that
> ability. I am forced to convert the scans to .tif format to fax them.
> Fax
> and Scan tells me to check the help file for attaching images to faxes,
> but I
> can't find anything specific in there, so I was wondering if anyone here
> might have an idea.
>
> Thanks,

Steve

Re: Fax scanned image from jpg format
The OS I was using before was Vista, but I was having issues with media
center and so I decided to start fresh. I was using the Windows Fax and Scan
software without any issues. With this reinstall I started to receive an
error when trying to fax jpg scans. If I convert the image to a tiff file,
they fax with no issues. There are only two things that I can think of that
may be different. One is that I now have the Windows Live Photo Gallery Beta
installed and the other is I no longer have Quicken QuickBooks installed.
But if the Fax and Scan software is rendering on its own, I'm not sure what
impact if any these pieces of software should have.

The error message I receive is: The file c:\users\........\fuel2.jpg cannot
be attached to your fax message. Click on help to find out more about
attaching files.

Looking at the Event Viewer I find this: The file with extension .jpg
cannot be faxed because faxing requires the file to be rendered to TIF. This
file cannot be rendered as its associated application is not present on this
computer.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> ...also, WFS is the first iteration of this fax service that will actually
> handle rendering of image files on its own without requiring a printto verb
> for the image's default application. I can fax an image file as an
> attachment just fine with my clean install of Vista and I've seen no reports
> like yours from anyone so far. So we need more detailed steps to repro in
> order to investigate, including what was different "Before."
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Before I did a clean install of Vista I was able to fax all my scanned
> > images
> > that were in a jpg format. Not with the new install I no longer have that
> > ability. I am forced to convert the scans to .tif format to fax them.
> > Fax
> > and Scan tells me to check the help file for attaching images to faxes,
> > but I
> > can't find anything specific in there, so I was wondering if anyone here
> > might have an idea.
> >
> > Thanks,

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Fax scanned image from jpg format
Start fresh? What had you done before? How freshly did you start? Reformat?
What was the default application for jpg before? What is it now?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
> The OS I was using before was Vista, but I was having issues with media
> center and so I decided to start fresh. I was using the Windows Fax and
> Scan
> software without any issues. With this reinstall I started to receive an
> error when trying to fax jpg scans. If I convert the image to a tiff
> file,
> they fax with no issues. There are only two things that I can think of
> that
> may be different. One is that I now have the Windows Live Photo Gallery
> Beta
> installed and the other is I no longer have Quicken QuickBooks installed.
> But if the Fax and Scan software is rendering on its own, I'm not sure
> what
> impact if any these pieces of software should have.
>
> The error message I receive is: The file c:\users\........\fuel2.jpg
> cannot
> be attached to your fax message. Click on help to find out more about
> attaching files.
>
> Looking at the Event Viewer I find this: The file with extension .jpg
> cannot be faxed because faxing requires the file to be rendered to TIF.
> This
> file cannot be rendered as its associated application is not present on
> this
> computer.
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> ...also, WFS is the first iteration of this fax service that will
>> actually
>> handle rendering of image files on its own without requiring a printto
>> verb
>> for the image's default application. I can fax an image file as an
>> attachment just fine with my clean install of Vista and I've seen no
>> reports
>> like yours from anyone so far. So we need more detailed steps to repro in
>> order to investigate, including what was different "Before."
>>
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Before I did a clean install of Vista I was able to fax all my scanned
>> > images
>> > that were in a jpg format. Not with the new install I no longer have
>> > that
>> > ability. I am forced to convert the scans to .tif format to fax them.
>> > Fax
>> > and Scan tells me to check the help file for attaching images to faxes,
>> > but I
>> > can't find anything specific in there, so I was wondering if anyone
>> > here
>> > might have an idea.
>> >
>> > Thanks,

Steve

Re: Fax scanned image from jpg format
It was really that simple. I uninstalled Live Photo Gallery and the default
for jpg went back to Windows Photo Gallery and its fixed!

Thanks, I really didn't think that the Live Beta could have caused this
issue, but it's fixed.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Start fresh? What had you done before? How freshly did you start? Reformat?
> What was the default application for jpg before? What is it now?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The OS I was using before was Vista, but I was having issues with media
> > center and so I decided to start fresh. I was using the Windows Fax and
> > Scan
> > software without any issues. With this reinstall I started to receive an
> > error when trying to fax jpg scans. If I convert the image to a tiff
> > file,
> > they fax with no issues. There are only two things that I can think of
> > that
> > may be different. One is that I now have the Windows Live Photo Gallery
> > Beta
> > installed and the other is I no longer have Quicken QuickBooks installed.
> > But if the Fax and Scan software is rendering on its own, I'm not sure
> > what
> > impact if any these pieces of software should have.
> >
> > The error message I receive is: The file c:\users\........\fuel2.jpg
> > cannot
> > be attached to your fax message. Click on help to find out more about
> > attaching files.
> >
> > Looking at the Event Viewer I find this: The file with extension .jpg
> > cannot be faxed because faxing requires the file to be rendered to TIF.
> > This
> > file cannot be rendered as its associated application is not present on
> > this
> > computer.
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> ...also, WFS is the first iteration of this fax service that will
> >> actually
> >> handle rendering of image files on its own without requiring a printto
> >> verb
> >> for the image's default application. I can fax an image file as an
> >> attachment just fine with my clean install of Vista and I've seen no
> >> reports
> >> like yours from anyone so far. So we need more detailed steps to repro in
> >> order to investigate, including what was different "Before."
> >>
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Fax scanned image from jpg format
That would explain it. Any file that the Fax Service renders must have a
printto verb defined for it. Usually just associating the file with the
proper default application will take care of it. I wonder if Live Photo
Gallery knows it breaks this functionality.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
> It was really that simple. I uninstalled Live Photo Gallery and the
> default
> for jpg went back to Windows Photo Gallery and its fixed!
>
> Thanks, I really didn't think that the Live Beta could have caused this
> issue, but it's fixed.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Start fresh? What had you done before? How freshly did you start?
>> Reformat?
>> What was the default application for jpg before? What is it now?
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > The OS I was using before was Vista, but I was having issues with media
>> > center and so I decided to start fresh. I was using the Windows Fax
>> > and
>> > Scan
>> > software without any issues. With this reinstall I started to receive
>> > an
>> > error when trying to fax jpg scans. If I convert the image to a tiff
>> > file,
>> > they fax with no issues. There are only two things that I can think of
>> > that
>> > may be different. One is that I now have the Windows Live Photo
>> > Gallery
>> > Beta
>> > installed and the other is I no longer have Quicken QuickBooks
>> > installed.
>> > But if the Fax and Scan software is rendering on its own, I'm not sure
>> > what
>> > impact if any these pieces of software should have.
>> >
>> > The error message I receive is: The file c:\users\........\fuel2.jpg
>> > cannot
>> > be attached to your fax message. Click on help to find out more about
>> > attaching files.
>> >
>> > Looking at the Event Viewer I find this: The file with extension .jpg
>> > cannot be faxed because faxing requires the file to be rendered to TIF.
>> > This
>> > file cannot be rendered as its associated application is not present on
>> > this
>> > computer.

Steve

Re: Fax scanned image from jpg format
I've sent them feedback from the Live Photo Gallery download site, so
hopefully they get it.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> That would explain it. Any file that the Fax Service renders must have a
> printto verb defined for it. Usually just associating the file with the
> proper default application will take care of it. I wonder if Live Photo
> Gallery knows it breaks this functionality.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It was really that simple. I uninstalled Live Photo Gallery and the
> > default
> > for jpg went back to Windows Photo Gallery and its fixed!
> >
> > Thanks, I really didn't think that the Live Beta could have caused this
> > issue, but it's fixed.
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Start fresh? What had you done before? How freshly did you start?
> >> Reformat?
> >> What was the default application for jpg before? What is it now?
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Fax scanned image from jpg format
Good. I'll let the developers know as well. I'm sure they'll be thrilled.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]