adding network printer = error 866

P.Schuman

adding network printer = error 866
you would think this stuff should all just work .... HAH -

ok - new Vista laptop in the house, everything else is running XP
with an old Win98se server - has large disk + 2 printers -

tried Adding Printer -> point to same workgroup (which is different than in
XP)
and can see all the other computers and the Win98se server...
Point to the server -> then point to HP4P laser and click Next - Connecting
to Printer - then BAM

error 0x00000866

The Vista laptop can access all the files on the Win98se server
The XP laptop can print fine to the Win98se\HP4P laser printer

hmmmmm ????????

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: adding network printer = error 866
Yes printer connections to Win9x shared printers was removed in Vista.

You can add a Local printer and create a Local Port to \\Win98se\"HP4P laser
printer" to get this working again.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"P.Schuman" <pschuman.no.spam@interserv.com> wrote in message
> you would think this stuff should all just work .... HAH -
>
> ok - new Vista laptop in the house, everything else is running XP
> with an old Win98se server - has large disk + 2 printers -
>
> tried Adding Printer -> point to same workgroup (which is different than
> in XP)
> and can see all the other computers and the Win98se server...
> Point to the server -> then point to HP4P laser and click Next -
> Connecting to Printer - then BAM
>
> error 0x00000866
>
> The Vista laptop can access all the files on the Win98se server
> The XP laptop can print fine to the Win98se\HP4P laser printer
>
> hmmmmm ????????

P.Schuman

Re: adding Win98se network printer = error 866
tnx - that's what I basically did... and it works fine.... still love my
Win98se

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes printer connections to Win9x shared printers was removed in Vista.
>
> You can add a Local printer and create a Local Port to \\Win98se\"HP4P
> laser printer" to get this working again.
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> rights.
>
> "P.Schuman" <pschuman.no.spam@interserv.com> wrote in message
>> you would think this stuff should all just work .... HAH -
>>
>> ok - new Vista laptop in the house, everything else is running XP
>> with an old Win98se server - has large disk + 2 printers -
>>
>> tried Adding Printer -> point to same workgroup (which is different than
>> in XP)
>> and can see all the other computers and the Win98se server...
>> Point to the server -> then point to HP4P laser and click Next -
>> Connecting to Printer - then BAM
>>
>> error 0x00000866
>>
>> The Vista laptop can access all the files on the Win98se server
>> The XP laptop can print fine to the Win98se\HP4P laser printer
>>
>> hmmmmm ????????

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: adding Win98se network printer = error 866
Each to his/her own I guess. There's no accounting for taste.

How about adding the HP4 Laser to one of the other computers. I personally
wouldn't even consider Win9x as a Server platform, no NTFS, no support for
large files.... etc etc... oh and the final REAL decider... NO SECURITY!!!!!
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

> tnx - that's what I basically did... and it works fine.... still love my
> Win98se

Neil

Re: adding network printer = error 866
Hi,

I have a similar issue - error 866 when adding network printer that is
connected to a Dell dimension running Windows ME - but when I tried this fix
it says the port already exists.

Any ideas?

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Yes printer connections to Win9x shared printers was removed in Vista.
>
> You can add a Local printer and create a Local Port to \\Win98se\"HP4P laser
> printer" to get this working again.
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "P.Schuman" <pschuman.no.spam@interserv.com> wrote in message
> > you would think this stuff should all just work .... HAH -
> >
> > ok - new Vista laptop in the house, everything else is running XP
> > with an old Win98se server - has large disk + 2 printers -
> >
> > tried Adding Printer -> point to same workgroup (which is different than
> > in XP)
> > and can see all the other computers and the Win98se server...
> > Point to the server -> then point to HP4P laser and click Next -
> > Connecting to Printer - then BAM
> >
> > error 0x00000866
> >
> > The Vista laptop can access all the files on the Win98se server
> > The XP laptop can print fine to the Win98se\HP4P laser printer
> >
> > hmmmmm ????????

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: adding network printer = error 866
Use that Client Side Rendering port rather than the local port.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Neil" <Neil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a similar issue - error 866 when adding network printer that is
> connected to a Dell dimension running Windows ME - but when I tried this
> fix
> it says the port already exists.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Yes printer connections to Win9x shared printers was removed in Vista.
>>
>> You can add a Local printer and create a Local Port to \\Win98se\"HP4P
>> laser
>> printer" to get this working again.
>>

>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team

>> rights.
>>
>> "P.Schuman" <pschuman.no.spam@interserv.com> wrote in message
>> > you would think this stuff should all just work .... HAH -
>> >
>> > ok - new Vista laptop in the house, everything else is running XP
>> > with an old Win98se server - has large disk + 2 printers -
>> >
>> > tried Adding Printer -> point to same workgroup (which is different
>> > than
>> > in XP)
>> > and can see all the other computers and the Win98se server...
>> > Point to the server -> then point to HP4P laser and click Next -
>> > Connecting to Printer - then BAM
>> >
>> > error 0x00000866
>> >
>> > The Vista laptop can access all the files on the Win98se server
>> > The XP laptop can print fine to the Win98se\HP4P laser printer
>> >
>> > hmmmmm ????????

Neil

Re: adding network printer = error 866
Thanks Alan - this worked.

Only challenge I have now is that every time I restart the computer this
printer goes to offline.

if i try to put it online by selecting "run as administrator" and "use
online" i get the error message saying "the arguments are invalid"

Any ideas?

Neil.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Use that Client Side Rendering port rather than the local port.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Neil" <Neil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a similar issue - error 866 when adding network printer that is
> > connected to a Dell dimension running Windows ME - but when I tried this
> > fix
> > it says the port already exists.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Yes printer connections to Win9x shared printers was removed in Vista.
> >>
> >> You can add a Local printer and create a Local Port to \\Win98se\"HP4P
> >> laser
> >> printer" to get this working again.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Alan Morris
> >> Windows Printing Team
> >> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> >> rights.

Paul in Montreal

Re: adding network printer = error 866
Hi Neil,

The problem is the Client Side Rendering Provider. You must assign a Local
port. You can do this by Adding the local port as follows:

1. On the Ports tab, click Add Port…, select Local Port, then click New Port…
2. When the Port Name window open, Enter a port name as follows:
\\computername\printername
(replace computername with the name of your PC acting as print server, and
printername with the name of your printer). Click OK.
3. You should now have a new port listed on the Ports tab of the printer
Properties, but now the Description should be Local Port, instead of Client
Side Rendering Provider. Click OK.
4. Now you can go to the General tab, and Print a Test Page.

Hopefully, your test page will print. Then restart your computer to check
that the printer comes back online.

This procedure worked for me. Hope it works for you too. Let me know. Good
luck!