USB Printer Ports still there after removing printers

Archie922

USB Printer Ports still there after removing printers
Running Vista Ultimate;I have removed several printers using the remove
printer function through Control Panel; Although the printers no longer
appear as being available, the ports assigned to them still appear. Now if I
connect to one of those deleted printers, it is not automatically recognized.

In the printer properties, the ports in questions are DOT4_001, DOT4_002,
etc. When I try to delete them, I get an error message that the action is not
supported.

I am logged into the system as an administrator.

Thanks
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: USB Printer Ports still there after removing printers
PnP created the ports. Unplug the device and reboot. They will go away
eventually but the PnP setup process performs this function not the spooler.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Archie922" <Archie922@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Running Vista Ultimate;I have removed several printers using the remove
> printer function through Control Panel; Although the printers no longer
> appear as being available, the ports assigned to them still appear. Now if
> connect to one of those deleted printers, it is not automatically
> recognized.
>
> In the printer properties, the ports in questions are DOT4_001, DOT4_002,
> etc. When I try to delete them, I get an error message that the action is
> not
> supported.
>
> I am logged into the system as an administrator.
>

> Thanks

Archie922

Re: USB Printer Ports still there after removing printers
Thanks for the input. I have rebooted many times to no avail. The ports are
still there and I cannot delete them.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> PnP created the ports. Unplug the device and reboot. They will go away
> eventually but the PnP setup process performs this function not the spooler.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Archie922" <Archie922@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Running Vista Ultimate;I have removed several printers using the remove
> > printer function through Control Panel; Although the printers no longer
> > appear as being available, the ports assigned to them still appear. Now if
> > connect to one of those deleted printers, it is not automatically
> > recognized.
> >
> > In the printer properties, the ports in questions are DOT4_001, DOT4_002,
> > etc. When I try to delete them, I get an error message that the action is
> > not
> > supported.
> >
> > I am logged into the system as an administrator.
> >

> > Thanks

Looking for Help

Re: USB Printer Ports still there after removing printers
I agree with Archie922 that the information provided by Alan Morris is not a
solution because the DOT4_001 does not go away when the printer is removed.
This port for my HP1200 was created when I connected the printer USB cable to
the USB port. I have removed everything I can think of related to this
printer but it will not reinstall. BTW I am using Vista Home Premium.
--
Where is Microsoft Help when there product does not work?

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> PnP created the ports. Unplug the device and reboot. They will go away
> eventually but the PnP setup process performs this function not the spooler.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Archie922" <Archie922@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Running Vista Ultimate;I have removed several printers using the remove
> > printer function through Control Panel; Although the printers no longer
> > appear as being available, the ports assigned to them still appear. Now if
> > connect to one of those deleted printers, it is not automatically
> > recognized.
> >
> > In the printer properties, the ports in questions are DOT4_001, DOT4_002,
> > etc. When I try to delete them, I get an error message that the action is
> > not
> > supported.
> >
> > I am logged into the system as an administrator.
> >

> > Thanks

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: USB Printer Ports still there after removing printers
Support does not live here for Microsoft.

Do you get any errors when you attempt to reinstall the drivers?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Looking for Help" <LookingforHelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in