Cannot print on vista with printer HP 5550

Cédric

Cannot print on vista with printer HP 5550
Hello,

I installed my printer HP 5550 on a new laptop running Windows Vista, this
printer was working well on my old machine (Windows XP) but does not work
anymore on Vista!

The printer is correctly detected when plugged in the laptop USB port, Vista
installs the driver and says that everything is OK.

When I print a test page from the HP software it works fine, but when I want
to print from a classic application (wordpad, notepad, adobe reader...) it
does not work at all!
I see the job in the Windows spooler queue but after some seconds this job
disappears (I think I see furtively that the job is canceled, but I am not
sure because the message disappears quickly...)

I have a administrator account so I guess I could print without any problem...

I asked the question on the HP site, and they said that it is probably a
problem with the Vista driver...

Thanks beforehand for your help!
Cédric.
John Lee Brown

Re: Cannot print on vista with printer HP 5550

"Cédric" <Cédric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I installed my printer HP 5550 on a new laptop running Windows Vista, this
> printer was working well on my old machine (Windows XP) but does not work
> anymore on Vista!
>
> The printer is correctly detected when plugged in the laptop USB port,
> Vista
> installs the driver and says that everything is OK.
>
> When I print a test page from the HP software it works fine, but when I
> want
> to print from a classic application (wordpad, notepad, adobe reader...) it
> does not work at all!
> I see the job in the Windows spooler queue but after some seconds this job
> disappears (I think I see furtively that the job is canceled, but I am not
> sure because the message disappears quickly...)
>
> I have a administrator account so I guess I could print without any
> problem...
>
> I asked the question on the HP site, and they said that it is probably a
> problem with the Vista driver...
>
> Thanks beforehand for your help!
> Cédric.

Have you set the printer as default or tell the software to use that
printer.

Cédric

"John Lee Brown" wrote:

> "Cédric" <Cédric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I installed my printer HP 5550 on a new laptop running Windows Vista, this
> > printer was working well on my old machine (Windows XP) but does not work
> > anymore on Vista!
> >
> > The printer is correctly detected when plugged in the laptop USB port,
> > Vista
> > installs the driver and says that everything is OK.
> >
> > When I print a test page from the HP software it works fine, but when I
> > want
> > to print from a classic application (wordpad, notepad, adobe reader...) it
> > does not work at all!
> > I see the job in the Windows spooler queue but after some seconds this job
> > disappears (I think I see furtively that the job is canceled, but I am not
> > sure because the message disappears quickly...)
> >
> > I have a administrator account so I guess I could print without any
> > problem...
> >
> > I asked the question on the HP site, and they said that it is probably a
> > problem with the Vista driver...
> >
> > Thanks beforehand for your help!
> > Cédric.

> Have you set the printer as default or tell the software to use that
> printer.
>
> Yes the printer is the default one

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Cannot print on vista with printer HP 5550
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=71896&lang=en

I love the way HP are blaming it on the driver that THEY WROTE and provided
to Microsoft.

Your printer, as you must have read on the HP website is not really
compatible with Vista, it will print, but that's about all.

--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Cédric" <Cédric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I installed my printer HP 5550 on a new laptop running Windows Vista, this
> printer was working well on my old machine (Windows XP) but does not work
> anymore on Vista!
>
> The printer is correctly detected when plugged in the laptop USB port,
> Vista
> installs the driver and says that everything is OK.
>
> When I print a test page from the HP software it works fine, but when I
> want
> to print from a classic application (wordpad, notepad, adobe reader...) it
> does not work at all!
> I see the job in the Windows spooler queue but after some seconds this job
> disappears (I think I see furtively that the job is canceled, but I am not
> sure because the message disappears quickly...)
>
> I have a administrator account so I guess I could print without any
> problem...
>
> I asked the question on the HP site, and they said that it is probably a
> problem with the Vista driver...
>
> Thanks beforehand for your help!
> Cédric.

Cédric

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=71896&lang=en
>
> I love the way HP are blaming it on the driver that THEY WROTE and provided
> to Microsoft.
>
> Your printer, as you must have read on the HP website is not really
> compatible with Vista, it will print, but that's about all.
>

> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "Cédric" <Cédric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I installed my printer HP 5550 on a new laptop running Windows Vista, this
> > printer was working well on my old machine (Windows XP) but does not work
> > anymore on Vista!
> >
> > The printer is correctly detected when plugged in the laptop USB port,
> > Vista
> > installs the driver and says that everything is OK.
> >
> > When I print a test page from the HP software it works fine, but when I
> > want
> > to print from a classic application (wordpad, notepad, adobe reader...) it
> > does not work at all!
> > I see the job in the Windows spooler queue but after some seconds this job
> > disappears (I think I see furtively that the job is canceled, but I am not
> > sure because the message disappears quickly...)
> >
> > I have a administrator account so I guess I could print without any
> > problem...
> >
> > I asked the question on the HP site, and they said that it is probably a
> > problem with the Vista driver...
> >
> > Thanks beforehand for your help!
> > Cédric.

They are explaining in the article that I could have problems with the
advanced printer options, but in my case the printer does not print at all! I
don't see printing as an advanced printer option :-)

Moreover, I know that the printer works because if I want to print a test
page via the HP software delivered with the printer, it works!
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Cannot print on vista with printer HP 5550
But that's internal to the printer.... nothing to do with the connection
from PC to printer.

Did you try something simple like...... changing the cable? Changing the
USB port?
--

"Cédric" <Cdric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> They are explaining in the article that I could have problems with the
> advanced printer options, but in my case the printer does not print at
> all! I
> don't see printing as an advanced printer option :-)
>
> Moreover, I know that the printer works because if I want to print a test
> page via the HP software delivered with the printer, it works!

Doug

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> But that's internal to the printer.... nothing to do with the connection
> from PC to printer.
>
> Did you try something simple like...... changing the cable? Changing the
> USB port?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "Cédric" <Cdric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > They are explaining in the article that I could have problems with the
> > advanced printer options, but in my case the printer does not print at
> > all! I
> > don't see printing as an advanced printer option :-)
> >
> > Moreover, I know that the printer works because if I want to print a test
> > page via the HP software delivered with the printer, it works!

> Cedric---I am running the same printer as you are with the same vista version and I can print text and coler prints with it. So it should work with yours.

Cédric

"Doug" wrote:

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > But that's internal to the printer.... nothing to do with the connection
> > from PC to printer.
> >
> > Did you try something simple like...... changing the cable? Changing the
> > USB port?
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP)
> > Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
> > http://www.coribright.com/windows
> >
> > "Cédric" <Cdric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > They are explaining in the article that I could have problems with the
> > > advanced printer options, but in my case the printer does not print at
> > > all! I
> > > don't see printing as an advanced printer option :-)
> > >
> > > Moreover, I know that the printer works because if I want to print a test
> > > page via the HP software delivered with the printer, it works!

> > Cedric---I am running the same printer as you are with the same vista version and I can print text and coler prints with it. So it should work with yours.

OK, so I will try to change the cable and keep searching, the problem should
be around the printer.

Thanks for your help
williamgeorgemic

Re: Cannot print on vista with printer HP 5550

Of course!! there are no differences when it comes to drivers and
software as long as you have the operating system that the manfacture
supports such as windows xp/vista and of course you have to have the
port already installed on your laptop such as a usb port or serial port.
If you have the connection such as a usb and the operating system that
you printer supports than of course 100% you can use your printer on a
laptop all that matters like i said is 1) the operating system and 2)
the hardware port such as the usb port and all else is good to go.
williamgeorgemic

*Link removed by: 'Brink' (http://www.vistax64.com/members/brink.html)*

--
williamgeorgemic