Trouble printing to network printer

Art

Trouble printing to network printer
I'm trying to print from my laptop to an HP Deskjet 932 attached
to my desktop, with no success.

- I'm using Home Premium; the desktop runs XP
- network printing worked okay when my laptop ran XP
- I have had no other Vista problems over six months
- the printer works just fine from the desktop machine
- the printer is shared, and is the default
- the printer shows up just fine as the network printer
when I try to print from my laptop
- I can look at print preferences okay
- if I try to look at printer properties, a window (or
dialog box) flits open/closed on the laptop screen
- no print file gets through to the print queue

Any help would be appreciated!

Art

Art

Re: Trouble printing to network printer -- Follow-up
I saw a suggestion in this newsgroup to add a local port
directed to //desktop/hp_deskjet, so I did this ...and
now I have a functioning network printer again!

Does this mean that the problem lies in incompatible
printer drivers? (ie, the XP driver on my desktop, and
the Vista driver on my laptop)?

I haven't tried another suggestion to install the Vista
printer driver on the XP desktop. Maybe that would work, too?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Art

Art wrote:
> I'm trying to print from my laptop to an HP Deskjet 932 attached
> to my desktop, with no success.
>
> - I'm using Home Premium; the desktop runs XP
> - network printing worked okay when my laptop ran XP
> - I have had no other Vista problems over six months
> - the printer works just fine from the desktop machine
> - the printer is shared, and is the default
> - the printer shows up just fine as the network printer
> when I try to print from my laptop
> - I can look at print preferences okay
> - if I try to look at printer properties, a window (or
> dialog box) flits open/closed on the laptop screen
> - no print file gets through to the print queue
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
>
> Art

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Trouble printing to network printer -- Follow-up
Usually when the Preferences page does not load this is a driver issue.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Art" <anacharb.remove@telus.remove.net> wrote in message
>I saw a suggestion in this newsgroup to add a local port
> directed to //desktop/hp_deskjet, so I did this ...and
> now I have a functioning network printer again!
>
> Does this mean that the problem lies in incompatible
> printer drivers? (ie, the XP driver on my desktop, and
> the Vista driver on my laptop)?
>
> I haven't tried another suggestion to install the Vista
> printer driver on the XP desktop. Maybe that would work, too?
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> Art
>
> Art wrote:
>> I'm trying to print from my laptop to an HP Deskjet 932 attached
>> to my desktop, with no success.
>>
>> - I'm using Home Premium; the desktop runs XP
>> - network printing worked okay when my laptop ran XP
>> - I have had no other Vista problems over six months
>> - the printer works just fine from the desktop machine
>> - the printer is shared, and is the default
>> - the printer shows up just fine as the network printer
>> when I try to print from my laptop
>> - I can look at print preferences okay
>> - if I try to look at printer properties, a window (or
>> dialog box) flits open/closed on the laptop screen
>> - no print file gets through to the print queue
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated!
>>
>> Art

tom

Re: Trouble printing to network printer -- Follow-up
Art

I have the same problem as you (vista laptop printing over wireless network
to HP connected to a desktop running XP). Your solution sounds like it would
work for me. How do you add a port?
--
Thanks,

Tom

"Art" wrote:

> I saw a suggestion in this newsgroup to add a local port
> directed to //desktop/hp_deskjet, so I did this ...and
> now I have a functioning network printer again!
>
> Does this mean that the problem lies in incompatible
> printer drivers? (ie, the XP driver on my desktop, and
> the Vista driver on my laptop)?
>
> I haven't tried another suggestion to install the Vista
> printer driver on the XP desktop. Maybe that would work, too?
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> Art
>
> Art wrote:
> > I'm trying to print from my laptop to an HP Deskjet 932 attached
> > to my desktop, with no success.
> >
> > - I'm using Home Premium; the desktop runs XP
> > - network printing worked okay when my laptop ran XP
> > - I have had no other Vista problems over six months
> > - the printer works just fine from the desktop machine
> > - the printer is shared, and is the default
> > - the printer shows up just fine as the network printer
> > when I try to print from my laptop
> > - I can look at print preferences okay
> > - if I try to look at printer properties, a window (or
> > dialog box) flits open/closed on the laptop screen
> > - no print file gets through to the print queue
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated!
> >
> > Art

Art

Re: Trouble printing to network printer -- Follow-up
Hi Tom,

Here's the procedure:
- Go to Control Panel > Printers
- Click on "Add a printer" in title bar
- Click on "Add a local printer"
- Select "Create a new port"
- With "Local Port" selected, click on "Next"
- Fill "Enter a port name" with:
- \\desktopname\printersharename
(in my case \\arts_vaio\printer5)")
- Click on "Next" and finish

This worked for me, but, just for the experience
I might try installing a Vista driver in my Vista machine.

Art