HP Officejet Pro 7780 Printing Problems and Vista

TexasRunner

HP Officejet Pro 7780 Printing Problems and Vista
My 7780 all-in-one prints only parts of documents over about 25 pages in
length--either printing a selection of pages from the specified field
(approximately 60 to 70 pages of a 150 page document) or spooling a portion
of the print job, freezing up, and never printing anything at all. I'm
printing from a Dell XPS 1710 running Vista Ultimate as installed by Dell.
Dell claims to have never heard of this problem. After several hours with
various HP sources, I've tried everything they seem to have to offer:
uninstall and reinstall the full-feature Vista driver, redownloading the
driver, even a replacement 7780. Many issues I've read about here
apparently are not responsible: no legacy issues from upgrading, the spooler
does not stop (according to services.msc), and the 7780 does not disappear
from printers or take itself offline. The printin problems happen with
either wireless or USB connectivity. Can anyone suggest a solution for these
problems? Thanks, in advance.
TexasRunner

RE: HP Officejet Pro 7780 Printing Problems and Vista
I've found the solution to this problem and, most likely, to many related
problems. It's a simple three-step process. 1. Place the HP printer in a
large box. 2. Return the box to HP for a refund. 3. Buy a new printer, in
my opinion preferably from another company, that is "Certified for Vista."
This last step is the most important. Make certain that the product is
designated as "Certified for Vista," not "Works with Vista," or "Vista
Ready," or, as HP sold its printer, "Vista Compatible."

This will, unfortunately, be of no help to those of you having legacy issues
or problems with non-HP products. Sorry.

As for buying another HP printer, after running through their standard fixes
(uninstall and reinstall the driver seems to be their favorite), HP's
employees told me repeatedly that my problems were "unique." However, at
least one other post on this site, as well as other information I gathered
over several weeks of trying to get my OJ Pro L7780 to work, indicates that
HP knows of the problems, is trying to fix those problems, but is having only
partial success so far. By failing to acknowledge that its products have
problems it knows about, HP has lost my confidence as a potential customer.

"TexasRunner" wrote:

> My 7780 all-in-one prints only parts of documents over about 25 pages in
> length--either printing a selection of pages from the specified field
> (approximately 60 to 70 pages of a 150 page document) or spooling a portion
> of the print job, freezing up, and never printing anything at all. I'm
> printing from a Dell XPS 1710 running Vista Ultimate as installed by Dell.
> Dell claims to have never heard of this problem. After several hours with
> various HP sources, I've tried everything they seem to have to offer:
> uninstall and reinstall the full-feature Vista driver, redownloading the
> driver, even a replacement 7780. Many issues I've read about here
> apparently are not responsible: no legacy issues from upgrading, the spooler
> does not stop (according to services.msc), and the 7780 does not disappear
> from printers or take itself offline. The printin problems happen with
> either wireless or USB connectivity. Can anyone suggest a solution for these
> problems? Thanks, in advance.

anonymous

RE: HP Officejet Pro 7780 Printing Problems and Vista
I hear you, TexasRunner. I went through two 7780s and two 7680s before
realizing that HP machines will simply not work fully with Vista. It is a
shame too because the intended features and offerings of the 7780 would be a
nice machine.

What did you ultimately replace it with?