Slow sppoling/printing

youngjan

Slow sppoling/printing
I've just loaded the Vista printer drivers for a Canon LBP5200 laser from the
Canon site. Printing from all the applications I've tried so far works, but
it takes 3-4 minutes to load the status monitor & then start printing. The
print speeds are much slower than they were with XP.
I'm using Vista Home Basic on an Intel Core2, 2400 MHz with 2408MB RAM.
Printer is not networked.
Hope someone can suggest a solution.
--
Jan
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Slow sppoling/printing
Is this an LPT or USB connection?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"youngjan" <youngjan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've just loaded the Vista printer drivers for a Canon LBP5200 laser from
> the
> Canon site. Printing from all the applications I've tried so far works,
> but
> it takes 3-4 minutes to load the status monitor & then start printing. The
> print speeds are much slower than they were with XP.
> I'm using Vista Home Basic on an Intel Core2, 2400 MHz with 2408MB RAM.
> Printer is not networked.
> Hope someone can suggest a solution.
> --
> Jan

youngjan

Re: Slow sppoling/printing
It's USB Cari - connected to USB1.
--
Jan

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Is this an LPT or USB connection?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "youngjan" <youngjan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've just loaded the Vista printer drivers for a Canon LBP5200 laser from
> > the
> > Canon site. Printing from all the applications I've tried so far works,
> > but
> > it takes 3-4 minutes to load the status monitor & then start printing. The
> > print speeds are much slower than they were with XP.
> > I'm using Vista Home Basic on an Intel Core2, 2400 MHz with 2408MB RAM.
> > Printer is not networked.
> > Hope someone can suggest a solution.
> > --
> > Jan

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Slow sppoling/printing
Do the usual maintenance..... run Disk Cleanup and a Disk Defrag, and check
the USB cable. But you're right, it's a long time to start printing.

Is it a big document you are trying to spool?
--

> It's USB Cari - connected to USB1.
> --
> Jan
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Is this an LPT or USB connection?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>>
>> "youngjan" <youngjan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've just loaded the Vista printer drivers for a Canon LBP5200 laser
>> > from
>> > the
>> > Canon site. Printing from all the applications I've tried so far works,
>> > but
>> > it takes 3-4 minutes to load the status monitor & then start printing.
>> > The
>> > print speeds are much slower than they were with XP.
>> > I'm using Vista Home Basic on an Intel Core2, 2400 MHz with 2408MB RAM.
>> > Printer is not networked.
>> > Hope someone can suggest a solution.
>> > --
>> > Jan

youngjan

Re: Slow sppoling/printing
Hi Cari,
It's a new PC, less than a week old - I've run PCpitstop diagnostics on it
and everythings AOK.
Just to make sure that it wasn't a co-incidence and there was a problem with
the printer or cable , I connected the printer to my old PC using the same
cable and it works fine.
Size of doc doesn't make any difference - even printing something like this
forum page takes ages. I'm using Office 2002 - when printing from Word, the
"Word is preparing to background print the document" bit takes for ever as
well.
My updates auto-loaded KB938979 yesterday - I'd thought about loading it but
Vista Home Basic wasn't one of the versions listed a couple of days ago -
this seems to have made a marginal improvement.
Is it worth uninstalling the printer & reloading the drivers?

--
Jan

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Do the usual maintenance..... run Disk Cleanup and a Disk Defrag, and check
> the USB cable. But you're right, it's a long time to start printing.
>
> Is it a big document you are trying to spool?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "youngjan" <youngjan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It's USB Cari - connected to USB1.
> > --
> > Jan
> >

> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Is this an LPT or USB connection?
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
> >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
> >> http://www.coribright.com/windows

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Slow sppoling/printing
Everything that costs you nothing is always worth trying before you actually
spend another dime!!!

Which make and model printer is it?
--

> Hi Cari,
> It's a new PC, less than a week old - I've run PCpitstop diagnostics on it
> and everythings AOK.
> Just to make sure that it wasn't a co-incidence and there was a problem
> with
> the printer or cable , I connected the printer to my old PC using the same
> cable and it works fine.
> Size of doc doesn't make any difference - even printing something like
> this
> forum page takes ages. I'm using Office 2002 - when printing from Word,
> the
> "Word is preparing to background print the document" bit takes for ever as
> well.
> My updates auto-loaded KB938979 yesterday - I'd thought about loading it
> but
> Vista Home Basic wasn't one of the versions listed a couple of days ago -
> this seems to have made a marginal improvement.
> Is it worth uninstalling the printer & reloading the drivers?
>
> --
> Jan
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Do the usual maintenance..... run Disk Cleanup and a Disk Defrag, and
>> check
>> the USB cable. But you're right, it's a long time to start printing.
>>
>> Is it a big document you are trying to spool?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>>
>> "youngjan" <youngjan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > It's USB Cari - connected to USB1.
>> > --
>> > Jan

youngjan

Re: Slow sppoling/printing
Hi Cari,
Sorry for delay in replying, I've been away for a few days.
It's still the same printer as it was in the first post (Canon LBP5200) -
not given up on it yet .
Cheers,
--
Jan

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Everything that costs you nothing is always worth trying before you actually
> spend another dime!!!
>
> Which make and model printer is it?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "youngjan" <youngjan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Cari,
> > It's a new PC, less than a week old - I've run PCpitstop diagnostics on it
> > and everythings AOK.
> > Just to make sure that it wasn't a co-incidence and there was a problem
> > with
> > the printer or cable , I connected the printer to my old PC using the same
> > cable and it works fine.
> > Size of doc doesn't make any difference - even printing something like
> > this
> > forum page takes ages. I'm using Office 2002 - when printing from Word,
> > the
> > "Word is preparing to background print the document" bit takes for ever as
> > well.
> > My updates auto-loaded KB938979 yesterday - I'd thought about loading it
> > but
> > Vista Home Basic wasn't one of the versions listed a couple of days ago -
> > this seems to have made a marginal improvement.
> > Is it worth uninstalling the printer & reloading the drivers?
> >
> > --
> > Jan
> >

> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Do the usual maintenance..... run Disk Cleanup and a Disk Defrag, and
> >> check
> >> the USB cable. But you're right, it's a long time to start printing.
> >>
> >> Is it a big document you are trying to spool?
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
> >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
> >> http://www.coribright.com/windows

youngjan

Re: Slow sppoling/printing
Hi Cari,
Thought I'd let you know it's sorted at last. It was the firewall causing
the problem. I am using Windows Firewall, disabled the check on the Canon
LBP5200 print server and everything is back to normal now .
Thanks for your help,
--
Jan

"youngjan" wrote:

> Hi Cari,
> Sorry for delay in replying, I've been away for a few days.
> It's still the same printer as it was in the first post (Canon LBP5200) -
> not given up on it yet .
> Cheers,
> --
> Jan
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Everything that costs you nothing is always worth trying before you actually
> > spend another dime!!!
> >
> > Which make and model printer is it?
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP)
> > Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
> > http://www.coribright.com/windows
> >
> > "youngjan" <youngjan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi Cari,
> > > It's a new PC, less than a week old - I've run PCpitstop diagnostics on it
> > > and everythings AOK.
> > > Just to make sure that it wasn't a co-incidence and there was a problem
> > > with
> > > the printer or cable , I connected the printer to my old PC using the same
> > > cable and it works fine.
> > > Size of doc doesn't make any difference - even printing something like
> > > this
> > > forum page takes ages. I'm using Office 2002 - when printing from Word,
> > > the
> > > "Word is preparing to background print the document" bit takes for ever as
> > > well.
> > > My updates auto-loaded KB938979 yesterday - I'd thought about loading it
> > > but
> > > Vista Home Basic wasn't one of the versions listed a couple of days ago -
> > > this seems to have made a marginal improvement.
> > > Is it worth uninstalling the printer & reloading the drivers?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jan

blacky

Re: Slow sppoling/printing
Hi all,

I have the same problem with a Canon LBP5000 (connected via USB and not
shared in the network). The problem appears after an automatic Windows or
Office2007 update (but I don't know which one).

Reinstallation of the driver does not help (just for the first print out).
The firewall exception for the Canon RPC Server is active (checked). After
deactivating the firewall behaviour is normal.

I think the problem is related to a security update, does anyone know which
one?

"youngjan" wrote:

> Hi Cari,
> Thought I'd let you know it's sorted at last. It was the firewall causing
> the problem. I am using Windows Firewall, disabled the check on the Canon
> LBP5200 print server and everything is back to normal now .
> Thanks for your help,
> --
> Jan
>

> "youngjan" wrote:
>
> > Hi Cari,
> > Sorry for delay in replying, I've been away for a few days.
> > It's still the same printer as it was in the first post (Canon LBP5200) -
> > not given up on it yet .
> > Cheers,
> > --
> > Jan
> >

> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> > > Everything that costs you nothing is always worth trying before you actually
> > > spend another dime!!!
> > >
> > > Which make and model printer is it?
> > > --
> > > Cari (MS-MVP)
> > > Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
> > > http://www.coribright.com/windows

blacky

Re: Slow sppoling/printing
Hi all,

The problem for my LBP5000 was caused by the windows update KB935807
(MS07-038). After rolling back the system to a state before this update
printing behaviour is normal.

Regards
blacky