Print Spooler service is not running

D-man

Print Spooler service is not running
Hi, Folks - Unable to print anything. PRinter Spooler service does not
respond. I've restarted the print spooler service in administrative tools
several times, bit it will not allow me to print anything or to view
propertiies, add a printer, nothing.

"Server Properties cannot be viewed. The local print spooler service is not
running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine."

thanks

--
Thanks,
D-man
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Print Spooler service is not running
What is the exact message returned when you start it with the command
prompt?
http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_Nine.htm
--
Cari (MS-MVP)

"D-man" <Dman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Folks - Unable to print anything. PRinter Spooler service does not
> respond. I've restarted the print spooler service in administrative tools
> several times, bit it will not allow me to print anything or to view
> propertiies, add a printer, nothing.
>
> "Server Properties cannot be viewed. The local print spooler service is
> not
> running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine."
>
> thanks
>

> --
> Thanks,
> D-man

D-man

Re: Print Spooler service is not running
Hi, Cari, thanks for your reply. When running that command, we get "The
request service has already been started." I've attempted several times to
re-start it under adminitrative tools/services.

Keep me posted if there is fix to this. Thanks much.
--
Thanks,
D-man

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> What is the exact message returned when you start it with the command
> prompt?
> http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_Nine.htm
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "D-man" <Dman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, Folks - Unable to print anything. PRinter Spooler service does not
> > respond. I've restarted the print spooler service in administrative tools
> > several times, bit it will not allow me to print anything or to view
> > propertiies, add a printer, nothing.
> >
> > "Server Properties cannot be viewed. The local print spooler service is
> > not
> > running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine."
> >
> > thanks
> >

> > --
> > Thanks,
> > D-man

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Print Spooler service is not running
You have a corrupted printer driver in there somewhere..... try blitzing
them as per Bruce Sanderson's site at:

Should you get a 1068 Service or Dependency error, see steps 15 through 17
at the bottom of that page.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)

> Hi, Cari, thanks for your reply. When running that command, we get "The
> request service has already been started." I've attempted several times to
> re-start it under adminitrative tools/services.
>
> Keep me posted if there is fix to this. Thanks much.
> --
> Thanks,
> D-man
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> What is the exact message returned when you start it with the command
>> prompt?
>> http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_Nine.htm
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>>
>> "D-man" <Dman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi, Folks - Unable to print anything. PRinter Spooler service does not
>> > respond. I've restarted the print spooler service in administrative
>> > tools
>> > several times, bit it will not allow me to print anything or to view
>> > propertiies, add a printer, nothing.
>> >
>> > "Server Properties cannot be viewed. The local print spooler service is
>> > not
>> > running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine."
>> >
>> > thanks
>> >

>> > --
>> > Thanks,
>> > D-man

D-man

Re: Print Spooler service is not running
Hi, Cari. Sorry I could not respond sooner. The site had an issue regarding
logging-in. the steps worked great. Could not get into the server properties
and delete the drivers there; however, deleting from the registry worked!
thanks much.
--
Thanks,
D-man

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> You have a corrupted printer driver in there somewhere..... try blitzing
> them as per Bruce Sanderson's site at:
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
>
> Should you get a 1068 Service or Dependency error, see steps 15 through 17
> at the bottom of that page.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "D-man" <Dman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, Cari, thanks for your reply. When running that command, we get "The
> > request service has already been started." I've attempted several times to
> > re-start it under adminitrative tools/services.
> >
> > Keep me posted if there is fix to this. Thanks much.
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > D-man
> >

> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> What is the exact message returned when you start it with the command
> >> prompt?
> >> http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_Nine.htm
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
> >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
> >> http://www.coribright.com/windows

Razorback is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vista and Lexmark?
I've reviewed this thread and have taken the posted steps, myself, per the resources given via this thread. I've gone so far as to refer to Microsoft Knowledge Base article #919750, regarding spooler corruption.

In this article, I'd followed the steps but was unable to complete the troubleshoot. Apperently, (even as administrator) my access to the spooler services is denied, meaning I can't modify it in any way.

Is there a way to gain access to my spooler on Vista so that I may continue with and complete the posted troubleshooter(s)??