No Manufacturers list in Add Rprinter wizard

Bob L.

No Manufacturers list in Add Rprinter wizard
In attempting to install a HP Photosmart 7660 as HP directs, I do not get a
list of manufacturers from the Add Local Printer wizard (after picking
printer on LPT1 as HP directs). Shouldn't I get a long list of
manufacturers and printers? What's wrong?

TIA

Bob L.
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: No Manufacturers list in Add Rprinter wizard
It's a bug, you need an updated setupapi.dll file contained in this QFE.

This will fix the issue when the printer manufacturer model page only
contains a few models. I think another symptom is the USB device will not
automatically install inbox drivers.

Error message when you try to install a new hardware device in Windows
Vista: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for
your device"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937187

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Bob L." <BobL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In attempting to install a HP Photosmart 7660 as HP directs, I do not get
> list of manufacturers from the Add Local Printer wizard (after picking
> printer on LPT1 as HP directs). Shouldn't I get a long list of
> manufacturers and printers? What's wrong?
>
> TIA
>
> Bob L.

Bob L.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> It's a bug, you need an updated setupapi.dll file contained in this QFE.
>
> This will fix the issue when the printer manufacturer model page only
> contains a few models. I think another symptom is the USB device will not
> automatically install inbox drivers.
>

> Error message when you try to install a new hardware device in Windows
> Vista: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for
> your device"
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937187
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Bob L." <BobL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In attempting to install a HP Photosmart 7660 as HP directs, I do not get
> > list of manufacturers from the Add Local Printer wizard (after picking
> > printer on LPT1 as HP directs). Shouldn't I get a long list of
> > manufacturers and printers? What's wrong?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Bob L.

> Thanks for acknowledging it's a bug.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: No Manufacturers list in Add Rprinter wizard
Errr maybe it's just a "code defect"?