usb communication error

solidrock

usb communication error

I have loaded and reloaded the drivers for my lexmark 816 printer which
were downloaded from lexmark for my vista home premium edition. The os
recognizes the printer when i plug the cable in and i direct it to the
driver file on the hard drive. all works well until i print a test page
where i get a "failed to communicate with the printer" error. my usb
print drivers are up to date, and the printer is set to print through
the virtual usb printer port. this is really frustrating and should be
real easy to fix. ??

--
solidrock
solidrock

Re: usb communication error

Just a bump. Newer athlon x64 4600 w/2gb ram, asus m2nsli mb, firewall
disabled......

--
solidrock
Alan Woody

RE: usb communication error
I'm having the same problem with my Dell 920 printer. Windows says it can't
communicate with the printer, but Windows does see the device when I plug it
in or tunr on the power. Anybody have a fix for this?

"solidrock" wrote:

> I have loaded and reloaded the drivers for my lexmark 816 printer which
> were downloaded from lexmark for my vista home premium edition. The os
> recognizes the printer when i plug the cable in and i direct it to the
> driver file on the hard drive. all works well until i print a test page
> where i get a "failed to communicate with the printer" error. my usb
> print drivers are up to date, and the printer is set to print through
> the virtual usb printer port. this is really frustrating and should be
> real easy to fix. ??
>

> --
> solidrock

Ken Blake

Re: usb communication error
"solidrock" <solidrock.2w1qv9@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Just a bump.

Whatever you expect "just a bump" to do, it doesn't do it here on these
newsgroups.

> Newer athlon x64 4600 w/2gb ram, asus m2nsli mb, firewall
> disabled......

And since you quoted nothing of your earlier message, I have no idea what
your problem is.

Please reply to the newsgroup

solidrock

Re: usb communication error

*usb communication error*
(http://www.vistax64.com/vista-print-...tml#post434359)
I have loaded and reloaded the drivers for my lexmark 816 printer
which were downloaded from lexmark for my vista home premium edition.
The os recognizes the printer when i plug the cable in and i direct it
to the driver file on the hard drive. all works well until i print a
test page where i get a "failed to communicate with the printer" error.
my usb print drivers are up to date, and the printer is set to print
through the virtual usb printer port. this is really frustrating and
should be real easy to fix. ??

[image:
http://www.vistax64.com/images/tealb...er_online.gif]
'[image:
http://www.vistax64.com/images/tealblack/buttons/reputation.gif]'
(http://www.vistax64.com/reputation.php?p=434359)
vbrep_register("434359") '[image:
http://www.vistax64.com/images/tealblack/buttons/report.gif]'
(http://www.vistax64.com/report.php?p=434359) '[image:
http://www.vistax64.com/images/tealblack/buttons/quote.gif]'
(http://www.vistax64.com/newreply.php...reply&p=434359)

is this better?

--
solidrock
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: usb communication error
Do the USB ports work correctly with other USB devices? Did you try a new
cable?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Alan Woody" <AlanWoody@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having the same problem with my Dell 920 printer. Windows says it
> can't
> communicate with the printer, but Windows does see the device when I plug
> it
> in or tunr on the power. Anybody have a fix for this?
>
> "solidrock" wrote:
>

>> I have loaded and reloaded the drivers for my lexmark 816 printer which
>> were downloaded from lexmark for my vista home premium edition. The os
>> recognizes the printer when i plug the cable in and i direct it to the
>> driver file on the hard drive. all works well until i print a test page
>> where i get a "failed to communicate with the printer" error. my usb
>> print drivers are up to date, and the printer is set to print through
>> the virtual usb printer port. this is really frustrating and should be
>> real easy to fix. ??
>>

>> --
>> solidrock

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: usb communication error
Blitz the drivers as per

I'm not sure why you are using a virtual USB port, why not a 'real' one? Do
other USB devices work fine? Did you try changing the cable?

--

"solidrock" <solidrock.2vxnkn@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I have loaded and reloaded the drivers for my lexmark 816 printer which
> were downloaded from lexmark for my vista home premium edition. The os
> recognizes the printer when i plug the cable in and i direct it to the
> driver file on the hard drive. all works well until i print a test page
> where i get a "failed to communicate with the printer" error. my usb
> print drivers are up to date, and the printer is set to print through
> the virtual usb printer port. this is really frustrating and should be
> real easy to fix. ??
>

> --
> solidrock

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: usb communication error
Are you using Vista 64 bit? If so, did you download the 64 bit drivers from
Lexmark?
--

"solidrock" <solidrock.2w3bt3@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> *usb communication error*
> (http://www.vistax64.com/vista-print-...tml#post434359)
> I have loaded and reloaded the drivers for my lexmark 816 printer
> which were downloaded from lexmark for my vista home premium edition.
> The os recognizes the printer when i plug the cable in and i direct it
> to the driver file on the hard drive. all works well until i print a
> test page where i get a "failed to communicate with the printer" error.
> my usb print drivers are up to date, and the printer is set to print
> through the virtual usb printer port. this is really frustrating and
> should be real easy to fix. ??
>
> [image:
> http://www.vistax64.com/images/tealb...er_online.gif]
> '[image:
> http://www.vistax64.com/images/tealblack/buttons/reputation.gif]'
> (http://www.vistax64.com/reputation.php?p=434359)
> vbrep_register("434359") '[image:
> http://www.vistax64.com/images/tealblack/buttons/report.gif]'
> (http://www.vistax64.com/report.php?p=434359) '[image:
> http://www.vistax64.com/images/tealblack/buttons/quote.gif]'
> (http://www.vistax64.com/newreply.php...reply&p=434359)
>
> is this better?
>

> --
> solidrock

solidrock

Re: usb communication error

Cari \(MS-MVP\);437952 Wrote:
> Are you using Vista 64 bit? If so, did you download the 64 bit drivers
> from
> Lexmark?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> 'Welcome' (http://www.coribright.com/windows)
>
> "solidrock" <solidrock.2w3bt3@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

Using Vista 32 bit, new cable and I tried switching it out, usb devices
work fine, the virtual port must be an assigned thing during install. I
cannot configure it from the printer properties window (gives me an
error). I would go and buy a new printer but I cannot be sure I will
not have the same issues. Blitzing the drivers through the regedit
window is not the same for vista as in your referenced page, and when I
navigate there, there are no installed drivers (after deleting and
uninstalling drivers).

--
solidrock
Todd Beatty

Re: usb communication error
Try this but use your printer driver, It worked for me on the lexmark p4350
but I still have very slow printing.
Good Luck
Todd

Thank you for continuing to use our a-mail service. I apologize that we didn't
provide a solution the first time around, but I truly appreciate your
patience. I believe that we can now give you an answer that is more
applicable to this situation.

Here is your Service Request # 1-587655931.

You will need to uninstall and reinstall the printer driver. Please follow
the steps given below:

First, unplug the USB cable. Next, please download the clean up patch from
the link given below:

ftp://ftp.lexmark.com/driver/inkjet_...aclean4300.exe

Then restart the computer.

Please download and install the Windows Vista driver from the website given
below in order to resolve the issue:

ftp://ftp.lexmark.com/driver/inkjet_...32%20bit/4300/

Please use the following steps to download the Lexmark P4350 Vista driver to
your desktop:

1. Click on "cjr4300EN.exe"

2. On the "File Download" screen, choose "Save."

3. The next screen will be titled "Save As." Choose to "Save in Desktop" and
click "OK."

4. You should see files being transferred.

****Note**** If your browser uses a different file downloading format than
specified above, you will need to resort to your browsers help files for
downloading instructions. The object of steps 1 - 4 is to download the
driver to your desktop. This way it is easily accessible.

5. Once the files have completed downloading, double click on the icon with
your file name.

6. On the "Win Zip Self-Extractor" screen click "OK." To unzip the
downloaded file choose "Unzip."

7. A screen will then display the number of files unzipped successfully,
click "OK."

8. Please follow the on screen instructions to complete installation of your
Lexmark printer.

Note: Please plug the USB cable when prompted while installing the driver.
The USB cable should still be removed from the system, and the on-screen
prompts will remind you of this. Eventually, you will get to a screen asking
you to plug in the USB cable. This screen also has an "OK" button. Do not
hit this button yet. First, plug in the USB cable. The screen should
automatically detect and install the Lexmark P4300 series printer and
scanner drivers.

If you have any more questions or concerns, please contact me at your
convenience and I will be happy to assist you. (If I am not available,
another representative will reply to you as soon as possible.) To respond,
please select "Reply" in your e-mail software, and be sure that the past
e-mail is included in this reply.

[AOL Users: In order to include the previous e-mail, you must highlight it
with your mouse when you are replying.]

If you need to reply, please be sure to include in your message all
information from prior e-mail messages & replies. If your e-mail client
automatically deletes prior e-mail thread information, it will cause a delay
while we look up your support history. If this is the case you may want to
save the old e-mails as attachments and attach them to the current e-mail.

Sincerely,
Mamta
Lexmark eSupport Team