"Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working" - Message Appears

Mike

"Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working" - Message Appears
I get this message everytime that I try to install a network printer in Vista
Ultimate. I bring the "Add Printer" wizard, select netwrok printer, and I
get the "Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working" box, then Explorer restarts
and I'm back to square one.

I'm running Vista Ultimate on a 2.67 GHz Quad-Core CPU & 4GB RAM.

Thanks,

Mike
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: "Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working" - Message Appears
Is this a home network or a domain?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

newsC779AA2-2BF3-465B-8140-FF378A63FB20@microsoft.com...
>I get this message everytime that I try to install a network printer in
>Vista
> Ultimate. I bring the "Add Printer" wizard, select netwrok printer, and I
> get the "Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working" box, then Explorer restarts
> and I'm back to square one.
>
> I'm running Vista Ultimate on a 2.67 GHz Quad-Core CPU & 4GB RAM.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Mike

Re: "Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working" - Message Appears
I tried to search the message as it appeared and received 7 results, none of
which were helpful. Can you point me to a specific article?

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Is this a home network or a domain?
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsC779AA2-2BF3-465B-8140-FF378A63FB20@microsoft.com...
> >I get this message everytime that I try to install a network printer in
> >Vista
> > Ultimate. I bring the "Add Printer" wizard, select netwrok printer, and I
> > get the "Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working" box, then Explorer restarts
> > and I'm back to square one.
> >
> > I'm running Vista Ultimate on a 2.67 GHz Quad-Core CPU & 4GB RAM.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike

Mike

Re: "Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working" - Message Appears
This is on a domain.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Is this a home network or a domain?
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsC779AA2-2BF3-465B-8140-FF378A63FB20@microsoft.com...
> >I get this message everytime that I try to install a network printer in
> >Vista
> > Ultimate. I bring the "Add Printer" wizard, select netwrok printer, and I
> > get the "Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working" box, then Explorer restarts
> > and I'm back to square one.
> >
> > I'm running Vista Ultimate on a 2.67 GHz Quad-Core CPU & 4GB RAM.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: "Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working" - Message Appears
Are printers published into your Active Directory? If not you can disable
the AD search feature

gpedit.msc
Computer Configuration / Admin Templates / Printers / Add Printer wizard -
Network scan page (Managed network)
Disable or configure for you purpose

in a cmd window
gpupdate /force

this refreshes the policies

Now run Add Printer

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> This is on a domain.
>
> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Is this a home network or a domain?
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team

>> rights.
>>
>> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsC779AA2-2BF3-465B-8140-FF378A63FB20@microsoft.com...
>> >I get this message everytime that I try to install a network printer in
>> >Vista
>> > Ultimate. I bring the "Add Printer" wizard, select netwrok printer,
>> > and I
>> > get the "Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working" box, then Explorer
>> > restarts
>> > and I'm back to square one.
>> >
>> > I'm running Vista Ultimate on a 2.67 GHz Quad-Core CPU & 4GB RAM.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Mike

Mike

Re: "Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working" - Message Appears
I tried the gpupdate /force and it gave me a message that it completed
successfully but when I tried to add the printer, Windows Explorer stopped
working, restarted, etc...

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Are printers published into your Active Directory? If not you can disable
> the AD search feature
>
> gpedit.msc
> Computer Configuration / Admin Templates / Printers / Add Printer wizard -
> Network scan page (Managed network)
> Disable or configure for you purpose
>
> in a cmd window
> gpupdate /force
>
> this refreshes the policies
>
> Now run Add Printer
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This is on a domain.
> >
> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Is this a home network or a domain?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Alan Morris
> >> Windows Printing Team
> >> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> >> rights.
> >>
> >> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> newsC779AA2-2BF3-465B-8140-FF378A63FB20@microsoft.com...

Mike

Re: "Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working" - Message Appears
Alan:

Okay, after a nice weekend off and clearing the workweek cobwebs, I went
into the group policy and changed a few settings. However, trying to add a
network printer still causes Windows Explorer to crash and restart. Is there
anything else that you can suggest? I guess that I just cannot understand
why this simple little thing would cause Explorer to bomb the way that it
does.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Are printers published into your Active Directory? If not you can disable
> the AD search feature
>
> gpedit.msc
> Computer Configuration / Admin Templates / Printers / Add Printer wizard -
> Network scan page (Managed network)
> Disable or configure for you purpose
>
> in a cmd window
> gpupdate /force
>
> this refreshes the policies
>
> Now run Add Printer
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This is on a domain.
> >
> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Is this a home network or a domain?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Alan Morris
> >> Windows Printing Team
> >> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> >> rights.
> >>
> >> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> newsC779AA2-2BF3-465B-8140-FF378A63FB20@microsoft.com...

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: "Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working" - Message Appears
Don't use the Printers Folder wizard to install the printer

START
\\remoteserver

Right click the shared printer name
Connect

Because a bstr is not initialized and a domain function fails

You can also add a string to the AD default location field in an attempt to
work around this.

What server OS are you running on the Domain Controllers?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> Alan:
>
> Okay, after a nice weekend off and clearing the workweek cobwebs, I went
> into the group policy and changed a few settings. However, trying to add
> network printer still causes Windows Explorer to crash and restart. Is
> there
> anything else that you can suggest? I guess that I just cannot understand
> why this simple little thing would cause Explorer to bomb the way that it
> does.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>

> Mike
>

> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Are printers published into your Active Directory? If not you can
>> disable
>> the AD search feature
>>
>> gpedit.msc
>> Computer Configuration / Admin Templates / Printers / Add Printer
>> wizard -
>> Network scan page (Managed network)
>> Disable or configure for you purpose
>>
>> in a cmd window
>> gpupdate /force
>>
>> this refreshes the policies
>>
>> Now run Add Printer
>>

>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team

>> rights.
>>
>> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > This is on a domain.

Mike

Re: "Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working" - Message Appears
Alan:

Sorry that I took so long to get back to you. I am currently using Windows
Server 2003.

I will try to follow the method that you just mentioned.

Thanks