labels on network printer

Gina

labels on network printer
Vista has a network impact printer for labels and prints fine. However, a
network computer running third party software and using the same printer on
the network uses a page worth of labels.

In xp one could create a custom page size and use this definition in a
network printer, and there were no problems.

Is there a solution for vista?
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: labels on network printer
Control Panel, Printers & Fax, from the Toolbar, File, Server Properties....
in the Forms tab, create custom size.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Gina" <Gina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Vista has a network impact printer for labels and prints fine. However, a
> network computer running third party software and using the same printer
> on
> the network uses a page worth of labels.
>
> In xp one could create a custom page size and use this definition in a
> network printer, and there were no problems.
>
> Is there a solution for vista?

JWRQT

Re: labels on network printer
This also works for creating custom paper sizes. We run fanfold check stock
through dot-matrix printers and have an odd size check.

NOTE: One addition to the advice from "Cari (MS-MVP) - with Vista Ultimate,
one must select the "Run as Administrator" option to get to the "Server
Properties."

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Control Panel, Printers & Fax, from the Toolbar, File, Server Properties....
> in the Forms tab, create custom size.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "Gina" <Gina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Vista has a network impact printer for labels and prints fine. However, a
> > network computer running third party software and using the same printer
> > on
> > the network uses a page worth of labels.
> >
> > In xp one could create a custom page size and use this definition in a
> > network printer, and there were no problems.
> >
> > Is there a solution for vista?

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: labels on network printer
Your Vista must be different from mine then, because with UAC enabled, I
have no trouble opening Server Properties and Vista does not ask me if I
want to continue. As the only user on my notebook, I am, of course, an
Administrator.
--

"JWRQT" <JWRQT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> NOTE: One addition to the advice from "Cari (MS-MVP) - with Vista
> Ultimate,
> one must select the "Run as Administrator" option to get to the "Server
> Properties."

amit p

Re: labels on network printer
Dear Cari
i found the form and also defined it
but i am unable to view that form when in any application like ms word or
excel i mean i don't find tht form their, please help.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Control Panel, Printers & Fax, from the Toolbar, File, Server Properties....
> in the Forms tab, create custom size.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "Gina" <Gina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Vista has a network impact printer for labels and prints fine. However, a
> > network computer running third party software and using the same printer
> > on
> > the network uses a page worth of labels.
> >
> > In xp one could create a custom page size and use this definition in a
> > network printer, and there were no problems.
> >
> > Is there a solution for vista?

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: labels on network printer
Make sure the GDP for the printer supports the form size you have added.

the GDP for the device is located in \system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3

look in CUSTOM_SIZE

if the printer is a connection, the form must be added to the server, then
you will need to delete the connection and readd to get the form loaded off
the machine sharing the printer.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"amit p" <amit p@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear Cari
> i found the form and also defined it
> but i am unable to view that form when in any application like ms word or
> excel i mean i don't find tht form their, please help.
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Control Panel, Printers & Fax, from the Toolbar, File, Server
>> Properties....
>> in the Forms tab, create custom size.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>>
>> "Gina" <Gina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Vista has a network impact printer for labels and prints fine.
>> > However, a
>> > network computer running third party software and using the same
>> > printer
>> > on
>> > the network uses a page worth of labels.
>> >
>> > In xp one could create a custom page size and use this definition in a
>> > network printer, and there were no problems.
>> >
>> > Is there a solution for vista?

amit p

Re: labels on network printer
hi Alan,

Thanks for your valuable reply, see the problem is, i have defined fom in
server properties and i can even view that form their. But whenever i use
any office application and try to print an document, in printer properties i
can see some predefined sizes but not mine, even when the form is defined
successfully in printer server properties.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Make sure the GDP for the printer supports the form size you have added.
>
> the GDP for the device is located in \system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3
>
> look in CUSTOM_SIZE
>
> if the printer is a connection, the form must be added to the server, then
> you will need to delete the connection and readd to get the form loaded off
> the machine sharing the printer.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "amit p" <amit p@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear Cari
> > i found the form and also defined it
> > but i am unable to view that form when in any application like ms word or
> > excel i mean i don't find tht form their, please help.
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Control Panel, Printers & Fax, from the Toolbar, File, Server
> >> Properties....
> >> in the Forms tab, create custom size.
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
> >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
> >> http://www.coribright.com/windows

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: labels on network printer
this means that the GPD for the device does not support that form size.

Look at the list of forms that are selectable. Find a form size that is
close to the size you need. Now create a form that is between the two. Is
this allowed by the driver?

Experiment until you find a form that the driver accepts.

What dimensions are defined by the TEXT based GPD file for the printer?