"Specified Print Monitor"?

Jim Speiser

"Specified Print Monitor"?
Just got a new laptop with Windows Vista Home. Can't connect to a network
printer that was easily accessible to Windows XP computers. I get a prompt
to download the drivers, then I get an error message that says "The specified
print monitor was not found."

I know I'm not the only one with this problem, there's at least one other
post here with the same issue, but no answers yet. Can someone help us
resolve this? Thanks.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: "Specified Print Monitor"?
Is UAC disabled or do you logon with the built in admin account?

This addresses several issues one of them is a connection issue when UAC is
disabled and the shared printer has a language monitor..

here's the KB
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979

here's the x86 download

Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Jim Speiser" <JimSpeiser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news2527249-2727-495A-B1F5-5C24C7F17DC5@microsoft.com...
> Just got a new laptop with Windows Vista Home. Can't connect to a network
> printer that was easily accessible to Windows XP computers. I get a
> prompt
> to download the drivers, then I get an error message that says "The
> specified
> print monitor was not found."
>
> I know I'm not the only one with this problem, there's at least one other
> post here with the same issue, but no answers yet. Can someone help us
> resolve this? Thanks.

Jim Speiser

Re: "Specified Print Monitor"?
What is UAC? I logon to the Vista machine with an account I created, that
has admin privileges.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Is UAC disabled or do you logon with the built in admin account?
>
> This addresses several issues one of them is a connection issue when UAC is
> disabled and the shared printer has a language monitor..
>
> here's the KB
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979
>
> here's the x86 download

> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Jim Speiser" <JimSpeiser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news2527249-2727-495A-B1F5-5C24C7F17DC5@microsoft.com...
> > Just got a new laptop with Windows Vista Home. Can't connect to a network
> > printer that was easily accessible to Windows XP computers. I get a
> > prompt
> > to download the drivers, then I get an error message that says "The
> > specified
> > print monitor was not found."
> >
> > I know I'm not the only one with this problem, there's at least one other
> > post here with the same issue, but no answers yet. Can someone help us
> > resolve this? Thanks.

Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

Re: "Specified Print Monitor"?
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../aa906021.aspx
User Account Control Overview

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

> What is UAC? I logon to the Vista machine with an account I created, that
> has admin privileges.
>
> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > Is UAC disabled or do you logon with the built in admin account?
> >
> > This addresses several issues one of them is a connection issue when UAC

is
> > disabled and the shared printer has a language monitor..
> >
> > here's the KB
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979
> >
> > here's the x86 download

> > --
> > Alan Morris
> > Windows Printing Team
> > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

rights.

> > "Jim Speiser" <JimSpeiser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news2527249-2727-495A-B1F5-5C24C7F17DC5@microsoft.com...
> > > Just got a new laptop with Windows Vista Home. Can't connect to a

network
> > > printer that was easily accessible to Windows XP computers. I get a
> > > prompt
> > > to download the drivers, then I get an error message that says "The
> > > specified
> > > print monitor was not found."
> > >
> > > I know I'm not the only one with this problem, there's at least one

other
> > > post here with the same issue, but no answers yet. Can someone help

us
> > > resolve this? Thanks.

Jim Speiser

Re: "Specified Print Monitor"?
I have time to read about 2 paragraphs of that. I assume I have admin
privileges, because I am not restricted from any activities -INCLUDING adding
other network printers attached to XP servers, which I have done. Its just
this one printer. And incidentally, HP is unable to fix this problem - after
about 4 hours of online help, they chalk it up to "incompatibility." That,
of course, will not fly with me.

==JJS==

"Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]" wrote:

> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../aa906021.aspx
> User Account Control Overview
>
> Hal
> --
> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
> Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>
> "Jim Speiser" <JimSpeiser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > What is UAC? I logon to the Vista machine with an account I created, that
> > has admin privileges.
> >
> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> > > Is UAC disabled or do you logon with the built in admin account?
> > >
> > > This addresses several issues one of them is a connection issue when UAC

> is
> > > disabled and the shared printer has a language monitor..
> > >
> > > here's the KB
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979
> > >
> > > here's the x86 download

> > > --
> > > Alan Morris
> > > Windows Printing Team
> > > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> rights.
> > >
> > > "Jim Speiser" <JimSpeiser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > news2527249-2727-495A-B1F5-5C24C7F17DC5@microsoft.com...

> network

> other

> us

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: "Specified Print Monitor"?
What model?

--

>I have time to read about 2 paragraphs of that. I assume I have admin
> privileges, because I am not restricted from any activities -INCLUDING
> adding
> other network printers attached to XP servers, which I have done. Its
> just
> this one printer. And incidentally, HP is unable to fix this problem -
> after
> about 4 hours of online help, they chalk it up to "incompatibility."
> That,
> of course, will not fly with me.
>
> ==JJS==
>

> "Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]" wrote:
>
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../aa906021.aspx
>> User Account Control Overview
>>
>> Hal
>> --
>> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
>> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
>> http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
>> KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
>> Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>>
>> "Jim Speiser" <JimSpeiser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > What is UAC? I logon to the Vista machine with an account I created,
>> > that
>> > has admin privileges.

>> is

>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

>> rights.

>> network

>> other

>> us

Jim Speiser

Re: "Specified Print Monitor"?
Third time is the charm. HP was able to kludge it together and make it work.
Apparently you have to define a LOCAL port on the Vista machine, and give it
the name \\SERVER\PrinterShareName.

The printer model, by the way, is an OfficeJet J5780 All-in-One.

Thanks,
==JJS==