printer problem (in network config)

Koen

printer problem (in network config)
I have a (wireless) network, in which I also have a Digitus DN 11004 router
print server. To be able to use the print server, I need to install a SW (USB
printer server).

I did this for a Windows XP & a Win98 PC. I was able to use my HP deskjet
printer without any problem.

Now I got a new Vista PC, and I would like to do the same. I installed the
SW (without problems). After the SW is installed, you need to add a printer
port when creating a new printer. This works on win98 & XP, but when I try to
add a local port on Vista, I get following error message: "Specified port
cannot be added. Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000578)"
(although I see the port shown in the pull down list of the "create a new
port"-pull down menu).

I checked the site of Digitus, but could not find a specific Vista version
of the SW (which seems to run OK, and even can find my printer, but cannot be
added to the printer port configuration).

I can print on the printer, sharing the printer on the windows XP PC, bbut I
cannot print directly on the printer on my Vista PC

Can someone help, please?

Thanks
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: printer problem (in network config)
Can you not add it via it's TCP/IP address?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Koen" <Koen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a (wireless) network, in which I also have a Digitus DN 11004 router
> print server. To be able to use the print server, I need to install a SW
> (USB
> printer server).
>
> I did this for a Windows XP & a Win98 PC. I was able to use my HP deskjet
> printer without any problem.
>
> Now I got a new Vista PC, and I would like to do the same. I installed the
> SW (without problems). After the SW is installed, you need to add a
> printer
> port when creating a new printer. This works on win98 & XP, but when I try
> add a local port on Vista, I get following error message: "Specified port
> cannot be added. Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000578)"
> (although I see the port shown in the pull down list of the "create a new
> port"-pull down menu).
>
> I checked the site of Digitus, but could not find a specific Vista version
> of the SW (which seems to run OK, and even can find my printer, but cannot
> be
> added to the printer port configuration).
>
> I can print on the printer, sharing the printer on the windows XP PC, bbut
> cannot print directly on the printer on my Vista PC
>
> Can someone help, please?
>
> Thanks

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: printer problem (in network config)
this is the error

G:\>winerror 0x00000578
1400 ERROR_INVALID_WINDOW_HANDLE <--> No NTSTATUS matched

when you add the software on XP is there another window that pops up that
you do not see on Vista. The vendor might be throwing dialog to session 0
which is not the default in Vista.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Koen" <Koen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a (wireless) network, in which I also have a Digitus DN 11004 router
> print server. To be able to use the print server, I need to install a SW
> (USB
> printer server).
>
> I did this for a Windows XP & a Win98 PC. I was able to use my HP deskjet
> printer without any problem.
>
> Now I got a new Vista PC, and I would like to do the same. I installed the
> SW (without problems). After the SW is installed, you need to add a
> printer
> port when creating a new printer. This works on win98 & XP, but when I try
> add a local port on Vista, I get following error message: "Specified port
> cannot be added. Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000578)"
> (although I see the port shown in the pull down list of the "create a new
> port"-pull down menu).
>
> I checked the site of Digitus, but could not find a specific Vista version
> of the SW (which seems to run OK, and even can find my printer, but cannot
> be
> added to the printer port configuration).
>
> I can print on the printer, sharing the printer on the windows XP PC, bbut
> cannot print directly on the printer on my Vista PC
>
> Can someone help, please?
>
> Thanks

Koen

Re: printer problem (in network config)
Dear Alan,

I do not recall that a new window popped up in XP.
I tried the solution proposed by Cari, and initially it seemed like it
worked, although I could not print.
Then I remembered a response on another item in here (the conflict between
using network printers directly, after the printer has been used also as a
shared printer on an XP), and I restored my system to the version prior to my
trials of adding the printer. After doing this, I could use the printer.

Thanks, Cari & Alan,

Koen