Vista gives access denied to shared XP printer

Orangedog

Vista gives access denied to shared XP printer
I have private home network with a new Vista Home Premium computer. Vista
sees the XP computer that has the officejet V40 printer. But whenever I try
to connect a message says access is denied. what is up with that! Who says
access is denied, it is my computer and my private network. How do I allow
access to my own network? how many hoops do I have to jump through to
network to a printer. This should be a seamless operation and already too
much time has been wasted. Nice job microsoft!
Daniel

RE: Vista gives access denied to shared XP printer
Hi,

Here's a complete answer:

Cheers,
Daniel

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista gives access denied to shared XP printer
A note on the guest account. When sharing is enabled using the XP network
setup wizard, this account is enabled. So by default, if you are sharing
something, this account should be enabled.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Here are a few tricks found in various newsgroups which did it for me.
> Please note that the tips below will only using an admin account, not with
> standard account.
>
> On the XP machine:
> - enable the Guest account on the XP machine
> (don't know why this has to be done, normally this account is disabled)
> - check the permissions on the XP share$ folder (Everyone read)
> - check print permissions on the security tab
> (allowed print for 'Everyone' and 'Network' on XP machine)
>
> Vista machine:
> - the account on the vista machine must have a non-blank password to log
> in
> - allow Vista to discover the network
> - allow Vista to do file sharing
> - created a Local Port on Vista, (Local Port like
> \\XPComputer\YourPrinter )
> and
> connect to it
> - as an alternative, try to connect to the YourPrinter via network
> (find \\XPComputer and its shared printer)
>
> This works fine for the admin account, but not for the Standard Account on
> vista. I hope someone will come up with an answer for that as well...
>
> Cheers, Daniel

Orangedog

"Daniel" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here's a complete answer:
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

Orangedog

RE: Vista gives access denied to shared XP printer
more hoops stilll access is denied message comes up when connecting to
printer. I am looking into port configurations with Norton, to see if that
helps.

"Daniel" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here's a complete answer:
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

Orangedog

RE: Vista gives access denied to shared XP printer

Microsoft problem still unresolved.
"Orangedog" wrote:

> more hoops stilll access is denied message comes up when connecting to
> printer. I am looking into port configurations with Norton, to see if that
> helps.
>

> "Daniel" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Here's a complete answer:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Daniel

Daniel

RE: Vista gives access denied to shared XP printer
Check the following:
on the vista machine go to the command prompt (cmd)
In this environment, enter 'dir \\myXP\print$' where myXP is the hostname of
the XP machine. If all works out correctly, this should return the contents
of that directory. If it's not, you're having a network problem - and not a
printer problem.

Here's a solution:
On the XP machine
- enable the guest account
- create an account: user + password (exactly the same as on the vista
machine)

On the Vista machine
- create an account: user + password (exactly the same as on the XP machine)
- log on with this account
- Open the network environment (this should show the vista machine and the
myXP machine)
- double click on the myXP machine: the shared printer should show up. If
this is the case connect to the shared printer, and you're done...

I hope this will get it working! Daniel

scallywag

RE: Vista gives access denied to shared XP printer
I also have this problem the network is working fine ie i can access all
other files on the remote pc where the printer is installed
Can i access this printer no access is denied, bearing in mind the rest of
the network "WORKS" can someone advise hoe i can get access to shared printer
?????

"Orangedog" wrote:

> I have private home network with a new Vista Home Premium computer. Vista
> sees the XP computer that has the officejet V40 printer. But whenever I try
> to connect a message says access is denied. what is up with that! Who says
> access is denied, it is my computer and my private network. How do I allow
> access to my own network? how many hoops do I have to jump through to
> network to a printer. This should be a seamless operation and already too
> much time has been wasted. Nice job microsoft!

TryState

RE: Vista gives access denied to shared XP printer
If I am understading everything correctly. I thought I needed to install the
vista driver on my xp machine. The Vista is running driver version
6.0.6000.16386 and my XP is running driver 5.0. Is the driver availible to
download and will that fix the problem? I have not tried the previous threads
with the hoop jumping. If this is a simple solution let me know.

"scallywag" wrote:

> I also have this problem the network is working fine ie i can access all
> other files on the remote pc where the printer is installed
> Can i access this printer no access is denied, bearing in mind the rest of
> the network "WORKS" can someone advise hoe i can get access to shared printer
> ?????
>
> "Orangedog" wrote:
>
> > I have private home network with a new Vista Home Premium computer. Vista
> > sees the XP computer that has the officejet V40 printer. But whenever I try
> > to connect a message says access is denied. what is up with that! Who says
> > access is denied, it is my computer and my private network. How do I allow
> > access to my own network? how many hoops do I have to jump through to
> > network to a printer. This should be a seamless operation and already too
> > much time has been wasted. Nice job microsoft!

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista gives access denied to shared XP printer
Yes you can install the inbox Vista drivers on XP. Perform this using
Vista as the client and add the driver to the remote machine by browsing to
the remote machine and opening the remote printers folder.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team