vista print spooler crash

George Hardy

vista print spooler crash
if your vista print spooler will not start, this may help....

If you are on vista, and your spooler service does not work, you might have
attached a network printer that is shared through a server.

i have a toshiba e-studio65 printer (tcp printer), but also have it shared
off of the server. This caused the print spooler service in vista to lock
up, not to be recovered. I could not even delete the printer anymore.

Next, i un-shared that network printer of the server, because vista could
re-discover the printer, and i'm back to square one.

After restoring Vista to the ORIGINAL install point, i connected that
printer through a local TCP/IP port, and installed the drivers for the
manually (XP drivers by the way, because there were none for Vista).

From what i have read out there, this only happens to some printers. So, if
you have a networked printer (connected directly to a network plug), do not
go through another computer to get to it. Connect as a local port, and you
will be fine. I think this might be a bug in Windows2003 Server printer
sharing or the Vista print sub-system.

george hardy

joshland@gmail.com

Re: vista print spooler crash
> From what i have read out there, this only happens to some printers. So, if
> you have a networked printer (connected directly to a network plug), do not
> go through another computer to get to it. Connect as a local port, and you
> will be fine. I think this might be a bug in Windows2003 Server printer
> sharing or the Vista print sub-system.

FWIW: Software shouldn't crash. That is a problem with design,
architecture, or just a plain bug. So, yeah, the Vista printing
subsystem is buggy. Already I have a laptop with the dreaded
"spooler crashes". We may actually have to re-install it. But , if
I do, I am going to XP.

George Hardy

Re: vista print spooler crash
yea, vista has been pissing me off. even the remote desktop connection got
REALLY slow with vista, and had to run some cryptic command line to get it
to run as fast as XP.

BTW, i am now in the process of installing an XP machine that i will NOT be
"upgrading".

gh

news:1187627920.660161.15600@i38g2000prf.googlegro ups.com...