can't install tcp/ip printer

CozmicOne

can't install tcp/ip printer
I’m having difficulty with installing a network printer in Visa Business. If
I select Add Printer > Add a network printer > The printer that I want isn’t
listed > Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname, and enter the IP
address of the printer, I get the message “Cannot load wizard pages for
standard TCP/IP port,” which doesn’t allow me to install the printer.

If I install the printer to the LPT1 port and then select Add Port, I don’t
have an option for adding a TCP/IP port.
skip

Re: can't install tcp/ip printer
I was having this type of problem also. I had a laptop with Vista Home
Premium, laptop with Win XP Pro and the desktop/printer controller
with WIN XP Pro all connected through a Linksys Router Wireless.
I had to finally turn off the firewall's I had on all three computers,
got the printers setup and now all is fine.
I am not sure this will work for you, but it is a suggestion.

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 14:26:25 -0700, CozmicOne
<CozmicOne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Im having difficulty with installing a network printer in Visa Business. If
>I select Add Printer > Add a network printer > The printer that I want isnt
>listed > Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname, and enter the IP
>address of the printer, I get the message Cannot load wizard pages for
>standard TCP/IP port, which doesnt allow me to install the printer.
>
>If I install the printer to the LPT1 port and then select Add Port, I dont
>have an option for adding a TCP/IP port.

Dan (Still going in circles)
CozmicOne

Re: can't install tcp/ip printer
I found that the registry key for “Standard TCP/IP Ports” was missing. Once
this was added back, everything was fine.

"skip" wrote:

> I was having this type of problem also. I had a laptop with Vista Home
> Premium, laptop with Win XP Pro and the desktop/printer controller
> with WIN XP Pro all connected through a Linksys Router Wireless.
> I had to finally turn off the firewall's I had on all three computers,
> got the printers setup and now all is fine.
> I am not sure this will work for you, but it is a suggestion.
>
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 14:26:25 -0700, CozmicOne
> <CozmicOne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I’m having difficulty with installing a network printer in Visa Business. If
> >I select Add Printer > Add a network printer > The printer that I want isn’t
> >listed > Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname, and enter the IP
> >address of the printer, I get the message “Cannot load wizard pages for
> >standard TCP/IP port,” which doesn’t allow me to install the printer.
> >
> >If I install the printer to the LPT1 port and then select Add Port, I don’t
> >have an option for adding a TCP/IP port.

> Dan (Still going in circles)

ConnieMax

Re: can't install tcp/ip printer
Hello Cozmic One,
Could you please give details on how to do this? Where do you find
this registry key?
Thanks very much.

"CozmicOne" wrote:

> I found that the registry key for “Standard TCP/IP Ports” was missing. Once
> this was added back, everything was fine.
>
> "skip" wrote:
>
> > I was having this type of problem also. I had a laptop with Vista Home
> > Premium, laptop with Win XP Pro and the desktop/printer controller
> > with WIN XP Pro all connected through a Linksys Router Wireless.
> > I had to finally turn off the firewall's I had on all three computers,
> > got the printers setup and now all is fine.
> > I am not sure this will work for you, but it is a suggestion.
> >
> > On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 14:26:25 -0700, CozmicOne
> > <CozmicOne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I’m having difficulty with installing a network printer in Visa Business. If
> > >I select Add Printer > Add a network printer > The printer that I want isn’t
> > >listed > Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname, and enter the IP
> > >address of the printer, I get the message “Cannot load wizard pages for
> > >standard TCP/IP port,” which doesn’t allow me to install the printer.
> > >
> > >If I install the printer to the LPT1 port and then select Add Port, I don’t
> > >have an option for adding a TCP/IP port.

> > Dan (Still going in circles)

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: can't install tcp/ip printer
> > If you have any Win2k or greater system handy you can export the
> > Standard
> > TCP/IP Port key and import to the other machine. Even if you do not
> > export
> > this key if you can look at this key for guidance when adding back the
> > entry
> > it is helpful.
> > stop and start spooler
> >

> > if not, locate
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Monitor\
> >
> > Add key
> > Standard TCP/IP Port
> > Add String Value; value name=Driver; value data=tcpmon.dll
> >
> > under Standard TCP/IP Port
> > Add Key
> > Ports
> > Add three Dwords in Ports (I am listing the value data in

decimal)

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team