Net printers always go OffLine when Vista reboots.

VistaCrazy

Net printers always go OffLine when Vista reboots.
Very frustrating! I have tried all of the suggestions found in the threads
I've read, and still the same problem as many other users in the
discussions. I'm Using a Dlink printserver with 3 printers. Vista sees them
just fine as a network printers, but errors out immediately on trying to
install. Setting up on tcpip port they work fine, until Restart. Print
server and printers work as expected in W2K and WinXP Pro.
I can't think of anything else to try! Microsoft how to solve?? Help!
--
Thanks All, VC.
VistaCrazy

RE: Net printers always go OffLine when Vista reboots.
I want to make it clear, that whatever you do the same thing happens;
printers go offline when you restart and you have to delete and re-install
the printers each time after the restart. There seems to be no way to just
get them back online even though there is a drop down box in several places
that looks like you could do that.
--
Thanks All, VC.

"VistaCrazy" wrote:

> Very frustrating! I have tried all of the suggestions found in the threads
> I've read, and still the same problem as many other users in the
> discussions. I'm Using a Dlink printserver with 3 printers. Vista sees them
> just fine as a network printers, but errors out immediately on trying to
> install. Setting up on tcpip port they work fine, until Restart. Print
> server and printers work as expected in W2K and WinXP Pro.
> I can't think of anything else to try! Microsoft how to solve?? Help!
> --
> Thanks All, VC.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Net printers always go OffLine when Vista reboots.
Disable SNMP

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"VistaCrazy" <VistaCrazy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to make it clear, that whatever you do the same thing happens;
> printers go offline when you restart and you have to delete and re-install
> the printers each time after the restart. There seems to be no way to
> just
> get them back online even though there is a drop down box in several
> places
> that looks like you could do that.
> --
> Thanks All, VC.
>

> "VistaCrazy" wrote:
>
>> Very frustrating! I have tried all of the suggestions found in the
>> threads
>> I've read, and still the same problem as many other users in the
>> discussions. I'm Using a Dlink printserver with 3 printers. Vista sees
>> them
>> just fine as a network printers, but errors out immediately on trying to
>> install. Setting up on tcpip port they work fine, until Restart. Print
>> server and printers work as expected in W2K and WinXP Pro.
>> I can't think of anything else to try! Microsoft how to solve?? Help!
>> --
>> Thanks All, VC.

VistaCrazy

Re: Net printers always go OffLine when Vista reboots.
Alan........... I did that with a suggetions you made for someone several
days ago. Doesn't fix it. Still the same issue. MSI P6N Nvidia 650i
Platinum w/Intel E6600 processor, 2G mem, Vista Ultimate; D-Link print server
working fine under other OS's. We need a MS HotFix to fix this one. I don't
remember trying printing in the Beta and RC versions.
--
Thanks All, VC.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Disable SNMP
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "VistaCrazy" <VistaCrazy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I want to make it clear, that whatever you do the same thing happens;
> > printers go offline when you restart and you have to delete and re-install
> > the printers each time after the restart. There seems to be no way to
> > just
> > get them back online even though there is a drop down box in several
> > places
> > that looks like you could do that.
> > --
> > Thanks All, VC.
> >

> > "VistaCrazy" wrote:
> >
> >> Very frustrating! I have tried all of the suggestions found in the
> >> threads
> >> I've read, and still the same problem as many other users in the
> >> discussions. I'm Using a Dlink printserver with 3 printers. Vista sees
> >> them
> >> just fine as a network printers, but errors out immediately on trying to
> >> install. Setting up on tcpip port they work fine, until Restart. Print
> >> server and printers work as expected in W2K and WinXP Pro.
> >> I can't think of anything else to try! Microsoft how to solve?? Help!
> >> --
> >> Thanks All, VC.

Paddy Landau

Alan Morris [MSFT] wrote:
> Disable SNMP

I have the same, very frustrating, problem.

How would I disable SNMP? I find nothing in Windows Help facility
that I can understand.
Paddy

Found the solution!
I've discovered the solution on another forum!

I hope many people see this, because so many people have this problem!
(Doesn't Microsoft test its products before releasing?)

I found the solution here:
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vi...ion-could.html

To summarise...

1. Go to the command prompt (usually Start, All Programs, Accessories,
Command Prompt)

2. Enter the command
net use LPT1 \\Server\printer_name /persistent:yes
You can use LPT2 or whatever if you prefer it to LPT1.
If the printer name has spaces, use double quotes.
For example, I used:
net use LPT1 "\\Office\HP G55" /persistent:yes

3. Go to the Printers and add your printer as a *local* printer, using
existing port LPT1 (or whatever port you chose in your command).
VistaCrazy

RE: Found the solution!
Paddy .......... You deserve a medal!! The kicker is that this command had
to be used in my office with the bosses laptop because he insisted on using
the terrible operating system XP Home......... !!

I can not believe that Microsoft incorporated the XP Home printing code into
Vista Ultimate !!! What is wrong with them..............................?????

Thanks Paddy........ all three of my printers are now functioning normally.

--
Thanks All, VC.

"Paddy" wrote:

> I've discovered the solution on another forum!
>
> I hope many people see this, because so many people have this problem!
> (Doesn't Microsoft test its products before releasing?)
>
> I found the solution here:
> http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vi...ion-could.html
>
> To summarise...
>
> 1. Go to the command prompt (usually Start, All Programs, Accessories,
> Command Prompt)
>
> 2. Enter the command
> net use LPT1 \\Server\printer_name /persistent:yes
> You can use LPT2 or whatever if you prefer it to LPT1.
> If the printer name has spaces, use double quotes.
> For example, I used:
> net use LPT1 "\\Office\HP G55" /persistent:yes
>
> 3. Go to the Printers and add your printer as a *local* printer, using
> existing port LPT1 (or whatever port you chose in your command).

Paddy

After rebooting
"VistaCrazy" wrote:
> all three of my printers are now functioning normally.

I'm glad it helped. The person who really deserves the medal is the one who
found out how to make it work. I just quoted him.

I did find that, on some occasions, it helped to put this into a command
file and stick it in the Startup folder.

I don't know when it's needed and when not, so try it if it doesn't work
after rebooting.

Paddy
VistaCrazy

RE: After rebooting
Thanks Paddy........... I didn't need to do anything else, except to note
that you can't do this from the "Run" command line, you must do it in a "CMD
window."

The Net Use command is an old command and we shouldn't even need to consider
it with this new OS
--
Thanks, VC.