Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

wireless printing

microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2007
wally h
 

Posts: n/a
wireless printing
i just bought a new laptop with windows vista basic......i cannot get it to
connect with my printer ......i have windows xp running on the main computer
with a wireless network......this has got me baffeled
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2007
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: wireless printing
wally h wrote:
> i just bought a new laptop with windows vista basic......i cannot get it to
> connect with my printer ......i have windows xp running on the main computer
> with a wireless network......this has got me baffeled


So the printer is a true network printer - not connected to any computer
- but is connected to the Local Area Network (LAN) via wireless? If this
is correct, download the Vista printer drivers from the printer mftr.
Now install those drivers on the laptop. Depending on the printer
drivers installation routine, the printer should be seen on the network
and you will then be able to print to it.

If this does not describe your situation, please post back with more
details. It would be helpful if you included the make and model of the
printer.


Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2007
New Orleans Novice
 

Posts: n/a
Re: wireless printing
Use a wireless router with USB printer connection similar to a US Robotics
USB wireless router


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2007
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: wireless printing
New Orleans Novice wrote:
> Use a wireless router with USB printer connection similar to a US Robotics
> USB wireless router
>
>

Since the OP said, "i have windows xp running on the main computer with
a wireless network...", we can assume that he already has a wireless
router. A print server/router is unnecessary with a wireless network
printer. Until the OP comes back with more details, we can't give more
focused help but adding a print server won't be part of that.


Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2007
wally h
 

Posts: n/a
Re: wireless printing
the printer is connected to the main computer that is running xp.......i
cannot get the other computer to find and recognize the printer( the new one
has vista basic)
HELP!!!

"Malke" wrote:

> New Orleans Novice wrote:
> > Use a wireless router with USB printer connection similar to a US Robotics
> > USB wireless router
> >
> >

> Since the OP said, "i have windows xp running on the main computer with
> a wireless network...", we can assume that he already has a wireless
> router. A print server/router is unnecessary with a wireless network
> printer. Until the OP comes back with more details, we can't give more
> focused help but adding a print server won't be part of that.
>
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2007
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: wireless printing
wally h wrote:
> the printer is connected to the main computer that is running xp.......i
> cannot get the other computer to find and recognize the printer( the new one
> has vista basic)


OK, then this is not a network printer, wireless or ethernet. It is
locally connected to your XP machine. You need to set up file/printer
sharing between the XP and Vista computers. Since you haven't indicated
that you've already done that, here are instructions below. Once you get
file/printer sharing set up between the two computers, share out the
printer from the XP machine and install the printer's Vista drivers on
Vista and it should see the printer during the installation routine.

Since you still haven't provided any useful information about your
printer or whether you actually have file/printer sharing set up, that's
all I can say.

Standard networking instructions:

*****
This link will take you through Vista networking very well:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally
caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall; or 2) inadvertently running two
firewalls such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party
firewall; and/or 3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on
all Workgroup machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating
system does not permit it.

Here are some general networking tips for home/small networks:

1. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network
(LAN) traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing
File/Printer Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network
Setup Wizard on XP will take care of this for those machines.The only
"gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you
aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus with
"Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a
firewall, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually
configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would substitute your correct
subnet. Do not run more than one firewall.

2. With earlier Microsoft operating systems, the name of the Workgroup
didn't matter. Apparently it does with Vista, so put all computers in
the same Workgroup. This is done from the System applet in Control
Panel, Computer Name tab.

3. Create identical user accounts and passwords on all machines. If you
wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular
user's account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at
this link work for both XP and Vista:

Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

4. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center:

a. If you need Pro's ability to set fine-grained permissions, turn off
Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab) and create identical user
accounts/passwords on all computers.

b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
Simple File Sharing enabled.

Simple File Sharing means that Guest (network) is enabled. This means
that anyone without a user account on the target system can use its
resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it matters
in your situation.

I think it is a good idea to create the identical user
accounts/passwords in any case when Vista machines are involved and it
isn't an onerous task with home/small networks.

5. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share
folders inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the
Shared Documents folder. See the first link above for details about
Vista sharing.
*****

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2007
Paul Armstrong
 

Posts: n/a
Re: wireless printing
Windows Vista Home Basic does not permit wireless printing..you have to use a
USB Cable.

"wally h" wrote:

> the printer is connected to the main computer that is running xp.......i
> cannot get the other computer to find and recognize the printer( the new one
> has vista basic)
> HELP!!!
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
> > New Orleans Novice wrote:
> > > Use a wireless router with USB printer connection similar to a US Robotics
> > > USB wireless router
> > >
> > >

> > Since the OP said, "i have windows xp running on the main computer with
> > a wireless network...", we can assume that he already has a wireless
> > router. A print server/router is unnecessary with a wireless network
> > printer. Until the OP comes back with more details, we can't give more
> > focused help but adding a print server won't be part of that.
> >
> >
> > Malke
> > --
> > Elephant Boy Computers
> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
> > "Don't Panic!"
> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
> >

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2007
Dan [MSFT]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: wireless printing
Malke,

Paul's assertion is incorrect, wireless printing can work with any version
of Vista (not sure about Starter). Mostly likely you are running into
printer sharing problems which are addressed & answered in many other places
in this list.

Dan

"Paul Armstrong" <PaulArmstrong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:708B4C32-5ADC-4D9E-8396-FC3F35484227@microsoft.com...
> Windows Vista Home Basic does not permit wireless printing..you have to
> use a
> USB Cable.
>
> "wally h" wrote:
>
>> the printer is connected to the main computer that is running xp.......i
>> cannot get the other computer to find and recognize the printer( the new
>> one
>> has vista basic)
>> HELP!!!
>>
>> "Malke" wrote:
>>
>> > New Orleans Novice wrote:
>> > > Use a wireless router with USB printer connection similar to a US
>> > > Robotics
>> > > USB wireless router
>> > >
>> > >
>> > Since the OP said, "i have windows xp running on the main computer with
>> > a wireless network...", we can assume that he already has a wireless
>> > router. A print server/router is unnecessary with a wireless network
>> > printer. Until the OP comes back with more details, we can't give more
>> > focused help but adding a print server won't be part of that.
>> >
>> >
>> > Malke
>> > --
>> > Elephant Boy Computers
>> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> > "Don't Panic!"
>> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>> >



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2007
Paul Armstrong
 

Posts: n/a
Re: wireless printing
Yes, I agree my assertion is incorrect...I should have said that printer
sharing is not available with Vista Starter. I have a notebook with Vista
Basic and a desktop with XP Home which is hardwired to the printer. I can
print from either PC with the USB cable attached but cannot print from the
notebook unless the USB cable is attached. If Dan can explain how I can
print from the laptop wireless while sharing the printer, it would be much
appreciated.

"Dan [MSFT]" wrote:

> Malke,
>
> Paul's assertion is incorrect, wireless printing can work with any version
> of Vista (not sure about Starter). Mostly likely you are running into
> printer sharing problems which are addressed & answered in many other places
> in this list.
>
> Dan
>
> "Paul Armstrong" <PaulArmstrong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:708B4C32-5ADC-4D9E-8396-FC3F35484227@microsoft.com...
> > Windows Vista Home Basic does not permit wireless printing..you have to
> > use a
> > USB Cable.
> >
> > "wally h" wrote:
> >
> >> the printer is connected to the main computer that is running xp.......i
> >> cannot get the other computer to find and recognize the printer( the new
> >> one
> >> has vista basic)
> >> HELP!!!
> >>
> >> "Malke" wrote:
> >>
> >> > New Orleans Novice wrote:
> >> > > Use a wireless router with USB printer connection similar to a US
> >> > > Robotics
> >> > > USB wireless router
> >> > >
> >> > >
> >> > Since the OP said, "i have windows xp running on the main computer with
> >> > a wireless network...", we can assume that he already has a wireless
> >> > router. A print server/router is unnecessary with a wireless network
> >> > printer. Until the OP comes back with more details, we can't give more
> >> > focused help but adding a print server won't be part of that.
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > Malke
> >> > --
> >> > Elephant Boy Computers
> >> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
> >> > "Don't Panic!"
> >> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
> >> >

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11-02-2007
Paul Armstrong
 

Posts: n/a
Re: wireless printing
Once again, I am mistaken...the key is changing the Vista network to match
the XP network....follow the instructions in the link providede
earlier.thanks to all.

"Paul Armstrong" wrote:

> Yes, I agree my assertion is incorrect...I should have said that printer
> sharing is not available with Vista Starter. I have a notebook with Vista
> Basic and a desktop with XP Home which is hardwired to the printer. I can
> print from either PC with the USB cable attached but cannot print from the
> notebook unless the USB cable is attached. If Dan can explain how I can
> print from the laptop wireless while sharing the printer, it would be much
> appreciated.
>
> "Dan [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > Malke,
> >
> > Paul's assertion is incorrect, wireless printing can work with any version
> > of Vista (not sure about Starter). Mostly likely you are running into
> > printer sharing problems which are addressed & answered in many other places
> > in this list.
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > "Paul Armstrong" <PaulArmstrong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:708B4C32-5ADC-4D9E-8396-FC3F35484227@microsoft.com...
> > > Windows Vista Home Basic does not permit wireless printing..you have to
> > > use a
> > > USB Cable.
> > >
> > > "wally h" wrote:
> > >
> > >> the printer is connected to the main computer that is running xp.......i
> > >> cannot get the other computer to find and recognize the printer( the new
> > >> one
> > >> has vista basic)
> > >> HELP!!!
> > >>
> > >> "Malke" wrote:
> > >>
> > >> > New Orleans Novice wrote:
> > >> > > Use a wireless router with USB printer connection similar to a US
> > >> > > Robotics
> > >> > > USB wireless router
> > >> > >
> > >> > >
> > >> > Since the OP said, "i have windows xp running on the main computer with
> > >> > a wireless network...", we can assume that he already has a wireless
> > >> > router. A print server/router is unnecessary with a wireless network
> > >> > printer. Until the OP comes back with more details, we can't give more
> > >> > focused help but adding a print server won't be part of that.
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >> > Malke
> > >> > --
> > >> > Elephant Boy Computers
> > >> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
> > >> > "Don't Panic!"
> > >> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
> > >> >

> >
> >
> >

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Printing on a wireless network smart0086 microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 07-02-2007 23:06
Printing from Wireless tower with Xerox 4150 Network Printing Novice needs help microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 1 05-06-2007 06:33
Re: Trying to get printing to Wireless Printer Server working dy.sector@yahoo.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 03-10-2007 12:25
HP Wireless Printing Upgrade Kit =?Utf-8?B?VmFs?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 1 02-20-2007 21:14
Wireless printing problems =?Utf-8?B?SktT?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 4 02-12-2007 01:57




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:51.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120