Problem adding shared Printer

david

Problem adding shared Printer
I have a computer with XP Media center with a local printer on it that is
shared for my home network. when i try to add it on my Vista premium computer
the computer says that the print monitor is unknown. I even downloaded the
driver and it didnt work. I have no problems when adding the printer to a XP
based system. I would Appreciate some help.
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Problem adding shared Printer
Do you have a user account on the Vista machine or are you logged in as
Administrator?

If the driver is from the vendor make sure you get the Vista driver. Some
XP drivers will work unless they ship a bunch of bloatware

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"david" <david@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a computer with XP Media center with a local printer on it that is
> shared for my home network. when i try to add it on my Vista premium
> computer
> the computer says that the print monitor is unknown. I even downloaded the
> driver and it didnt work. I have no problems when adding the printer to a
> XP
> based system. I would Appreciate some help.

Billyray44

Re: Problem adding shared Printer
After hours of chat with HP support, I began to think I was the only one
having problems with Vista! I have 3 XP's and 2 Vista's sharing an HP C3180
All-In-One and I get that "Print Monitor Is Unknown" message too! Since it
is a Windows message (the little shield is there), I don't know if I should
blame HP or not. I have ready all of the suggestions in this section and
tried most of them. The only one that seemed to offer hope was to install
the original CD on both XP and Vista PC's, attach the printer to each one and
let it install as a local printer, then move the printer back to the one you
want to attach it to.

I agree with one person who asked if we had gone back to the 80's, having to
spend all our time fiddling with the system instead of just using it!!! (Mac
owners, stop snickering!)

Just wanted David to know he was not alone!
--
Billy Ray

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Do you have a user account on the Vista machine or are you logged in as
> Administrator?
>
> If the driver is from the vendor make sure you get the Vista driver. Some
> XP drivers will work unless they ship a bunch of bloatware
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "david" <david@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a computer with XP Media center with a local printer on it that is
> > shared for my home network. when i try to add it on my Vista premium
> > computer
> > the computer says that the print monitor is unknown. I even downloaded the
> > driver and it didnt work. I have no problems when adding the printer to a
> > XP
> > based system. I would Appreciate some help.

david

Re: Problem adding shared Printer
yes my account is and administrator account, and i have installed the driver
for the printer. it still has not worked.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Do you have a user account on the Vista machine or are you logged in as
> Administrator?
>
> If the driver is from the vendor make sure you get the Vista driver. Some
> XP drivers will work unless they ship a bunch of bloatware
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "david" <david@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a computer with XP Media center with a local printer on it that is
> > shared for my home network. when i try to add it on my Vista premium
> > computer
> > the computer says that the print monitor is unknown. I even downloaded the
> > driver and it didnt work. I have no problems when adding the printer to a
> > XP
> > based system. I would Appreciate some help.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Problem adding shared Printer

This addresses several issues one of them is a connection issue when UAC is
disabled and the shared printer has a language monitor..

here's the KB
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979

here's the x86 download

> yes my account is and administrator account, and i have installed the
> driver
> for the printer. it still has not worked.
>
> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Do you have a user account on the Vista machine or are you logged in as
>> Administrator?
>>
>> If the driver is from the vendor make sure you get the Vista driver.
>> Some
>> XP drivers will work unless they ship a bunch of bloatware
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team

>> rights.
>>
>> "david" <david@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a computer with XP Media center with a local printer on it that
>> >is
>> > shared for my home network. when i try to add it on my Vista premium
>> > computer
>> > the computer says that the print monitor is unknown. I even downloaded
>> > the
>> > driver and it didnt work. I have no problems when adding the printer to
>> > XP
>> > based system. I would Appreciate some help.

Billyray44

Re: Problem adding shared Printer
At last!!! I thought I was going to wind up storing my Vista computers in
the garage!

I downloaded and installed the update, booted and connected to the printer
in the XP machine in one try!

Spread this around all the other user groups that are wrestling with printer
problems!

And Thanks!
--
Billy Ray

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> This addresses several issues one of them is a connection issue when UAC is
> disabled and the shared printer has a language monitor..
>
> here's the KB
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979
>
> here's the x86 download

> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "david" <david@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > yes my account is and administrator account, and i have installed the
> > driver
> > for the printer. it still has not worked.
> >
> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Do you have a user account on the Vista machine or are you logged in as
> >> Administrator?
> >>
> >> If the driver is from the vendor make sure you get the Vista driver.
> >> Some
> >> XP drivers will work unless they ship a bunch of bloatware
> >>
> >> --
> >> Alan Morris
> >> Windows Printing Team
> >> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> >> rights.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Problem adding shared Printer