pasting scanned docs

tcseacliff69

pasting scanned docs
I have an HP pavillion w/ windows premium. seems new computers see no need
for floppy discs any more. I have a scanner. when i scan my resume. i cannot
seem to format it properly to put it on other websites. I returned my hp
scanner,was impossible to use, now have a canon all-in-one works great but i
stll cannot save and send my resume properly. I can save it as a text doc,
save it with adobe,I can look at it all I want but cannot copy and paste it!
either it reopens elswhere all changed around and un readable, doesn't even
resemle a resume. and now i can't get it back into word, it only goes into
some vista default storage area which I stll cannot get the e-mail working?
is it possible to have scanned documents be read as written? they coy
beatifully but employers want them pested no-can-do!!HELP111
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: pasting scanned docs
On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 10:50:01 -0700, tcseacliff69
<tcseacliff69@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have an HP pavillion w/ windows premium. seems new computers see no need
> for floppy discs any more.

Is the lack of a floppy drive pertinent to what you ask about below?

> I have a scanner. when i scan my resume. i cannot
> seem to format it properly to put it on other websites. I returned my hp
> scanner,was impossible to use, now have a canon all-in-one works great but i
> stll cannot save and send my resume properly. I can save it as a text doc,
> save it with adobe,I can look at it all I want but cannot copy and paste it!
> either it reopens elswhere all changed around and un readable, doesn't even
> resemle a resume. and now i can't get it back into word, it only goes into
> some vista default storage area which I stll cannot get the e-mail working?
> is it possible to have scanned documents be read as written? they coy
> beatifully but employers want them pested no-can-do!!HELP111

Sorry, but I find it very difficult to understand exactly what you're
trying to say here.

Your problem appears to be that you have a printed resume and you're
trying to scan it so you can have an electronic version to paste into
Word to send to prospective employees.

If that's the case, realize that you can hardly ever just scan a
document, turn it into text, and paste it somewhere while still
retaining the formatting.

When you scan a document, you end up with a picture of the text, not
the text itself. To turn that picture into real text, you need
software called Optical Character Recognition (OCR, for short). The
OCR software recognizes the pictures of the letters (with *some*
degree of accuracy; 100% is never guaranteed) and generates the
appropriate letters.

Many scanners come with OCR software. Did yours? Which particular OCR
program? Did you use it?

After you've scanned the document and "OCRed" it, you have to
proofread to correct any errors (at least a few are likely), and then
edit the results in your word processing program (Word) to put back
the formatting that was almost certainly lost.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
tcseacliff69

Re: pasting scanned docs
rwell. iI am startimg to realize that a scanned doc is a photo of typed
document,so i used my default program for an OCR document omni-page came with
my canon. my problem is as you stated taking a scanned document and making it
readable somewhere else. I have a resume in a folder in documents on my vista
home premium. two problems . one being my e-mail is no longer supported(which
is msn premium,a microsoft product) and two being , I have a resume in an OCR
format and cannot move it (paste) it onto an employers webpage, the page
says "paste your resume here. make sure it is properly formatted. that is
impossible,and that is my problem . why can't we just use snail mail, my
printer works so well,and i am quite adept at stamps and envelopes!!!!! can
you help?

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 10:50:01 -0700, tcseacliff69
> <tcseacliff69@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I have an HP pavillion w/ windows premium. seems new computers see no need
> > for floppy discs any more.

> Is the lack of a floppy drive pertinent to what you ask about below?
>

> > I have a scanner. when i scan my resume. i cannot
> > seem to format it properly to put it on other websites. I returned my hp
> > scanner,was impossible to use, now have a canon all-in-one works great but i
> > stll cannot save and send my resume properly. I can save it as a text doc,
> > save it with adobe,I can look at it all I want but cannot copy and paste it!
> > either it reopens elswhere all changed around and un readable, doesn't even
> > resemle a resume. and now i can't get it back into word, it only goes into
> > some vista default storage area which I stll cannot get the e-mail working?
> > is it possible to have scanned documents be read as written? they coy
> > beatifully but employers want them pested no-can-do!!HELP111

> Sorry, but I find it very difficult to understand exactly what you're
> trying to say here.
>
> Your problem appears to be that you have a printed resume and you're
> trying to scan it so you can have an electronic version to paste into
> Word to send to prospective employees.
>
> If that's the case, realize that you can hardly ever just scan a
> document, turn it into text, and paste it somewhere while still
> retaining the formatting.
>
> When you scan a document, you end up with a picture of the text, not
> the text itself. To turn that picture into real text, you need
> software called Optical Character Recognition (OCR, for short). The
> OCR software recognizes the pictures of the letters (with *some*
> degree of accuracy; 100% is never guaranteed) and generates the
> appropriate letters.
>
> Many scanners come with OCR software. Did yours? Which particular OCR
> program? Did you use it?
>
> After you've scanned the document and "OCRed" it, you have to
> proofread to correct any errors (at least a few are likely), and then
> edit the results in your word processing program (Word) to put back
> the formatting that was almost certainly lost.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: pasting scanned docs
On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 15:02:04 -0700, tcseacliff69
<tcseacliff69@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> rwell. iI am startimg to realize that a scanned doc is a photo of typed
> document,so i used my default program for an OCR document omni-page came with
> my canon. my problem is as you stated taking a scanned document and making it
> readable somewhere else. I have a resume in a folder in documents on my vista
> home premium. two problems . one being my e-mail is no longer supported(which
> is msn premium,a microsoft product) and two being , I have a resume in an OCR
> format and cannot move it (paste) it onto an employers webpage, the page
> says "paste your resume here. make sure it is properly formatted. that is
> impossible,and that is my problem . why can't we just use snail mail, my
> printer works so well,and i am quite adept at stamps and envelopes!!!!! can
> you help?

I am again having great difficulty understanding you. Please rewrite
the above with conventional spelling, punctuation, and grammar, and
write very slowly and carefully. Try to make it extra easy for those
trying to help you. If your native language isn't English, perhaps
what you wrote would be acceptable, but if you are an English speaker,
please write clearly.

> "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 10:50:01 -0700, tcseacliff69
> > <tcseacliff69@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I have an HP pavillion w/ windows premium. seems new computers see no need
> > > for floppy discs any more.

> > Is the lack of a floppy drive pertinent to what you ask about below?
> >

> > > I have a scanner. when i scan my resume. i cannot
> > > seem to format it properly to put it on other websites. I returned my hp
> > > scanner,was impossible to use, now have a canon all-in-one works great but i
> > > stll cannot save and send my resume properly. I can save it as a text doc,
> > > save it with adobe,I can look at it all I want but cannot copy and paste it!
> > > either it reopens elswhere all changed around and un readable, doesn't even
> > > resemle a resume. and now i can't get it back into word, it only goes into
> > > some vista default storage area which I stll cannot get the e-mail working?
> > > is it possible to have scanned documents be read as written? they coy
> > > beatifully but employers want them pested no-can-do!!HELP111

> > Sorry, but I find it very difficult to understand exactly what you're
> > trying to say here.
> >
> > Your problem appears to be that you have a printed resume and you're
> > trying to scan it so you can have an electronic version to paste into
> > Word to send to prospective employees.
> >
> > If that's the case, realize that you can hardly ever just scan a
> > document, turn it into text, and paste it somewhere while still
> > retaining the formatting.
> >
> > When you scan a document, you end up with a picture of the text, not
> > the text itself. To turn that picture into real text, you need
> > software called Optical Character Recognition (OCR, for short). The
> > OCR software recognizes the pictures of the letters (with *some*
> > degree of accuracy; 100% is never guaranteed) and generates the
> > appropriate letters.
> >
> > Many scanners come with OCR software. Did yours? Which particular OCR
> > program? Did you use it?
> >
> > After you've scanned the document and "OCRed" it, you have to
> > proofread to correct any errors (at least a few are likely), and then
> > edit the results in your word processing program (Word) to put back
> > the formatting that was almost certainly lost.
> >
> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Cal Bear '66

Re: pasting scanned docs
I think he should just fax his resume if he wrote it himself. Or if he had it
prepares by a resume service, he should ask for and electronic copy on CD and
then he could just fax the resume file instead of trying to convert a paper copy
into an document file.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.am.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 15:02:04 -0700, tcseacliff69
> <tcseacliff69@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> rwell. iI am startimg to realize that a scanned doc is a photo of typed
>> document,so i used my default program for an OCR document omni-page came with
>> my canon. my problem is as you stated taking a scanned document and making it
>> readable somewhere else. I have a resume in a folder in documents on my vista
>> home premium. two problems . one being my e-mail is no longer supported(which
>> is msn premium,a microsoft product) and two being , I have a resume in an OCR
>> format and cannot move it (paste) it onto an employers webpage, the page
>> says "paste your resume here. make sure it is properly formatted. that is
>> impossible,and that is my problem . why can't we just use snail mail, my
>> printer works so well,and i am quite adept at stamps and envelopes!!!!! can
>> you help?

> I am again having great difficulty understanding you. Please rewrite
> the above with conventional spelling, punctuation, and grammar, and
> write very slowly and carefully. Try to make it extra easy for those
> trying to help you. If your native language isn't English, perhaps
> what you wrote would be acceptable, but if you are an English speaker,
> please write clearly.
>

>> "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

>> > Is the lack of a floppy drive pertinent to what you ask about below?

>> > Sorry, but I find it very difficult to understand exactly what you're
>> > trying to say here.
>> >
>> > Your problem appears to be that you have a printed resume and you're
>> > trying to scan it so you can have an electronic version to paste into
>> > Word to send to prospective employees.
>> >
>> > If that's the case, realize that you can hardly ever just scan a
>> > document, turn it into text, and paste it somewhere while still
>> > retaining the formatting.
>> >
>> > When you scan a document, you end up with a picture of the text, not
>> > the text itself. To turn that picture into real text, you need
>> > software called Optical Character Recognition (OCR, for short). The
>> > OCR software recognizes the pictures of the letters (with *some*
>> > degree of accuracy; 100% is never guaranteed) and generates the
>> > appropriate letters.
>> >
>> > Many scanners come with OCR software. Did yours? Which particular OCR
>> > program? Did you use it?
>> >
>> > After you've scanned the document and "OCRed" it, you have to
>> > proofread to correct any errors (at least a few are likely), and then
>> > edit the results in your word processing program (Word) to put back
>> > the formatting that was almost certainly lost.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
>> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup
>> >

> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

tcseacliff69

Re: pasting scanned docs
you answered my question. next time i hope i can ask my question in a more
aapropriate manner. sorry my grammar and puntuation were not up to your
standards. i wish computers and software were easier to use then i would not
have to bother you with my stupid questions and bad grammar. yes. I speak
english, I don't speak computer,there was no need to criticize my last post,I
don't do this often and find all this computer talk difficult to grasp. I
thought these forums were for us to learn things, not to be told by people
like you, how stupid we are!

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 15:02:04 -0700, tcseacliff69
> <tcseacliff69@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > rwell. iI am startimg to realize that a scanned doc is a photo of typed
> > document,so i used my default program for an OCR document omni-page came with
> > my canon. my problem is as you stated taking a scanned document and making it
> > readable somewhere else. I have a resume in a folder in documents on my vista
> > home premium. two problems . one being my e-mail is no longer supported(which
> > is msn premium,a microsoft product) and two being , I have a resume in an OCR
> > format and cannot move it (paste) it onto an employers webpage, the page
> > says "paste your resume here. make sure it is properly formatted. that is
> > impossible,and that is my problem . why can't we just use snail mail, my
> > printer works so well,and i am quite adept at stamps and envelopes!!!!! can
> > you help?

> I am again having great difficulty understanding you. Please rewrite
> the above with conventional spelling, punctuation, and grammar, and
> write very slowly and carefully. Try to make it extra easy for those
> trying to help you. If your native language isn't English, perhaps
> what you wrote would be acceptable, but if you are an English speaker,
> please write clearly.
>

> > "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

> > > Is the lack of a floppy drive pertinent to what you ask about below?

> > > Sorry, but I find it very difficult to understand exactly what you're
> > > trying to say here.
> > >
> > > Your problem appears to be that you have a printed resume and you're
> > > trying to scan it so you can have an electronic version to paste into
> > > Word to send to prospective employees.
> > >
> > > If that's the case, realize that you can hardly ever just scan a
> > > document, turn it into text, and paste it somewhere while still
> > > retaining the formatting.
> > >
> > > When you scan a document, you end up with a picture of the text, not
> > > the text itself. To turn that picture into real text, you need
> > > software called Optical Character Recognition (OCR, for short). The
> > > OCR software recognizes the pictures of the letters (with *some*
> > > degree of accuracy; 100% is never guaranteed) and generates the
> > > appropriate letters.
> > >
> > > Many scanners come with OCR software. Did yours? Which particular OCR
> > > program? Did you use it?
> > >
> > > After you've scanned the document and "OCRed" it, you have to
> > > proofread to correct any errors (at least a few are likely), and then
> > > edit the results in your word processing program (Word) to put back
> > > the formatting that was almost certainly lost.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> > > Please Reply to the Newsgroup
> > >

> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

tcseacliff69

Re: pasting scanned docs
I had this written for me ,it was mailed to me on a floppy.someemployers do
let you fax,but many want it copied and pasted. i have been having a problem
copying and pasting this. I guess I will have to get an external floppy or
re-type it myself. now all I have to do I guess is learn how to use word.

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> I think he should just fax his resume if he wrote it himself. Or if he had it
> prepares by a resume service, he should ask for and electronic copy on CD and
> then he could just fax the resume file instead of trying to convert a paper copy
> into an document file.
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.am.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 15:02:04 -0700, tcseacliff69
> > <tcseacliff69@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> >> rwell. iI am startimg to realize that a scanned doc is a photo of typed
> >> document,so i used my default program for an OCR document omni-page came with
> >> my canon. my problem is as you stated taking a scanned document and making it
> >> readable somewhere else. I have a resume in a folder in documents on my vista
> >> home premium. two problems . one being my e-mail is no longer supported(which
> >> is msn premium,a microsoft product) and two being , I have a resume in an OCR
> >> format and cannot move it (paste) it onto an employers webpage, the page
> >> says "paste your resume here. make sure it is properly formatted. that is
> >> impossible,and that is my problem . why can't we just use snail mail, my
> >> printer works so well,and i am quite adept at stamps and envelopes!!!!! can
> >> you help?

> > I am again having great difficulty understanding you. Please rewrite
> > the above with conventional spelling, punctuation, and grammar, and
> > write very slowly and carefully. Try to make it extra easy for those
> > trying to help you. If your native language isn't English, perhaps
> > what you wrote would be acceptable, but if you are an English speaker,
> > please write clearly.

> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Cal Bear '66

Re: pasting scanned docs
Don't you have a friend that can burn it to CD for you? Also, places like
Kinko's have rental computers that you can do this, or they can do it for you.
Frequently places that do copying have this burn to CD service.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"tcseacliff69" <tcseacliff69@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news7C0A35C-0419-4E67-8E6A-3ED44572D753@microsoft.com...
>I had this written for me ,it was mailed to me on a floppy.someemployers do
> let you fax,but many want it copied and pasted. i have been having a problem
> copying and pasting this. I guess I will have to get an external floppy or
> re-type it myself. now all I have to do I guess is learn how to use word.
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> I think he should just fax his resume if he wrote it himself. Or if he had
>> it
>> prepares by a resume service, he should ask for and electronic copy on CD and
>> then he could just fax the resume file instead of trying to convert a paper
>> copy
>> into an document file.
>>
>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.am.invalid.domain> wrote in message

>> > I am again having great difficulty understanding you. Please rewrite
>> > the above with conventional spelling, punctuation, and grammar, and
>> > write very slowly and carefully. Try to make it extra easy for those
>> > trying to help you. If your native language isn't English, perhaps
>> > what you wrote would be acceptable, but if you are an English speaker,
>> > please write clearly.

>> > --
>> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
>> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

tcseacliff69

Re: pasting scanned docs
will a cd solve the problem of being a picutre of a document and not a copy?
If so that would be sweet. thanks.

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> Don't you have a friend that can burn it to CD for you? Also, places like
> Kinko's have rental computers that you can do this, or they can do it for you.
> Frequently places that do copying have this burn to CD service.
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "tcseacliff69" <tcseacliff69@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news7C0A35C-0419-4E67-8E6A-3ED44572D753@microsoft.com...
> >I had this written for me ,it was mailed to me on a floppy.someemployers do
> > let you fax,but many want it copied and pasted. i have been having a problem
> > copying and pasting this. I guess I will have to get an external floppy or
> > re-type it myself. now all I have to do I guess is learn how to use word.
> >
> > "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
> >
> >> I think he should just fax his resume if he wrote it himself. Or if he had
> >> it
> >> prepares by a resume service, he should ask for and electronic copy on CD and
> >> then he could just fax the resume file instead of trying to convert a paper
> >> copy
> >> into an document file.
> >>
> >> --
> >> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> >> GO BEARS!

Cal Bear '66

Re: pasting scanned docs
Don't the employers want a document file and not a fax?
If you can scan your resume that is a picture, so why do you need OCR software?
What exactly do these employers want -- a fax (picture), a graphic file
(picture) or an electronic document, such as xxxx.doc, xxxx.rtf?