Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Customize Vista's System Restore?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2007
Phillip Pi
 

Posts: n/a
Customize Vista's System Restore?
In Windows XP, I could customize each drive to have a non-default size
(low as 200 MB), disable, or enable for the system restore feature. In
Vista, I cannot customize each drive. I can only enable and disable it.

Did I miss this option in Vista?

Thank you in advance.
--
Phillip Pi
Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
ISP/Symantec Online Services, Consumer Business Unit
Symantec Corporation
www.symantec.com
-----------------------------------------------------
Email: phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
-----------------------------------------------------
Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
views of my employer. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2007
Jon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Customize Vista's System Restore?

"Phillip Pi" <phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC> wrote in message
news:uS5XeKG2HHA.1184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> In Windows XP, I could customize each drive to have a non-default size
> (low as 200 MB), disable, or enable for the system restore feature. In
> Vista, I cannot customize each drive. I can only enable and disable it.
>
> Did I miss this option in Vista?
>
> Thank you in advance.
> --
> Phillip Pi
> Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
> ISP/Symantec Online Services, Consumer Business Unit
> Symantec Corporation
> www.symantec.com
> -----------------------------------------------------
> Email: phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
> -----------------------------------------------------
> Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
> expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
> views of my employer. Thank you.




There's this option at the command line, although how well it works I don't
know

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /?

I recall a thread a while back where it was suggested that it doesn't work
as intended, due to a bug (?). May be worth a try though. Let us know if it
does the trick.

--
Jon


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2007
Michael Solomon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Customize Vista's System Restore?


"Phillip Pi" <phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC> wrote in message
news:uS5XeKG2HHA.1184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> In Windows XP, I could customize each drive to have a non-default size
> (low as 200 MB), disable, or enable for the system restore feature. In
> Vista, I cannot customize each drive. I can only enable and disable it.
>
> Did I miss this option in Vista?
>
> Thank you in advance.
> --
> Phillip Pi
> Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
> ISP/Symantec Online Services, Consumer Business Unit
> Symantec Corporation
> www.symantec.com
> -----------------------------------------------------
> Email: phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
> -----------------------------------------------------
> Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
> expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
> views of my employer. Thank you.


Did you try using System Restore to take you
back to a time prior to when this began. While System Restore is meant to
only restore your settings and registry to a specific point in time, as a
precaution, your data should be well backed up before using it. Start
Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore.

--
Michael Solomon
Backup is a PC user's best friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2007
Lord Takyon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Customize Vista's System Restore?
"Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message
news:uXeM7SG2HHA.4004@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>
> "Phillip Pi" <phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC> wrote in message
> news:uS5XeKG2HHA.1184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> In Windows XP, I could customize each drive to have a non-default size
>> (low as 200 MB), disable, or enable for the system restore feature. In
>> Vista, I cannot customize each drive. I can only enable and disable it.
>>
>> Did I miss this option in Vista?
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>> --
>> Phillip Pi
>> Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
>> ISP/Symantec Online Services, Consumer Business Unit
>> Symantec Corporation
>> www.symantec.com
>> -----------------------------------------------------
>> Email: phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
>> -----------------------------------------------------
>> Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
>> expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
>> views of my employer. Thank you.

>
>
>
> There's this option at the command line, although how well it works I
> don't know
>
> vssadmin resize shadowstorage /?
>
> I recall a thread a while back where it was suggested that it doesn't work
> as intended, due to a bug (?). May be worth a try though. Let us know if
> it does the trick.
>
> --
> Jon
>
>



It ha worked fine on the 4 machines I have done it so far. The only thing I
did notice was that it did not take first time on one of the machines. This
had to be done on these machines because system restore was using up to 50%
of the HDD. I set it to 5 Gig on each machine.

--
Can't think of a sig at the moment.
Read this instead.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2007
Phillip Pi
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Customize Vista's System Restore?
On 8/6/2007 1:13 PM PT, Michael Solomon wrote:

>> In Windows XP, I could customize each drive to have a non-default size
>> (low as 200 MB), disable, or enable for the system restore feature. In
>> Vista, I cannot customize each drive. I can only enable and disable it.
>>
>> Did I miss this option in Vista?

>
> Did you try using System Restore to take you
> back to a time prior to when this began. While System Restore is meant to
> only restore your settings and registry to a specific point in time, as a
> precaution, your data should be well backed up before using it. Start
> Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore.


Umm, I am not restoring anything. I just want to customize it. Please
reread what I typed.
--
Phillip Pi
Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
ISP/Symantec Online Services, Consumer Business Unit
Symantec Corporation
www.symantec.com
-----------------------------------------------------
Email: phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
-----------------------------------------------------
Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
views of my employer. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2007
Michael Solomon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Customize Vista's System Restore?


"Phillip Pi" <phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC> wrote in message
news:#ZBSaAH2HHA.1100@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> On 8/6/2007 1:13 PM PT, Michael Solomon wrote:
>
>>> In Windows XP, I could customize each drive to have a non-default size
>>> (low as 200 MB), disable, or enable for the system restore feature. In
>>> Vista, I cannot customize each drive. I can only enable and disable it.
>>>
>>> Did I miss this option in Vista?

>>
>> Did you try using System Restore to take you
>> back to a time prior to when this began. While System Restore is meant
>> to
>> only restore your settings and registry to a specific point in time, as a
>> precaution, your data should be well backed up before using it. Start
>> Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore.

>
> Umm, I am not restoring anything. I just want to customize it. Please
> reread what I typed.
> --
> Phillip Pi
> Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
> ISP/Symantec Online Services, Consumer Business Unit
> Symantec Corporation
> www.symantec.com
> -----------------------------------------------------
> Email: phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
> -----------------------------------------------------
> Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
> expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
> views of my employer. Thank you.

I'm sorry, Phillip, I think that was meant for a different thread and
somehow I accidentally posted it in this one.

--
Michael Solomon
Backup is a PC user's best friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2007
Wayne L
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Customize Vista's System Restore?
Phillip - There is a MS site for reducing System Restore. Do a Google search,
or go to "howtogeek.com" home page. I've used his advice and it works. Wayne
--
Wayne L


"Michael Solomon" wrote:

>
>
> "Phillip Pi" <phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC> wrote in message
> news:#ZBSaAH2HHA.1100@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> > On 8/6/2007 1:13 PM PT, Michael Solomon wrote:
> >
> >>> In Windows XP, I could customize each drive to have a non-default size
> >>> (low as 200 MB), disable, or enable for the system restore feature. In
> >>> Vista, I cannot customize each drive. I can only enable and disable it.
> >>>
> >>> Did I miss this option in Vista?
> >>
> >> Did you try using System Restore to take you
> >> back to a time prior to when this began. While System Restore is meant
> >> to
> >> only restore your settings and registry to a specific point in time, as a
> >> precaution, your data should be well backed up before using it. Start
> >> Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore.

> >
> > Umm, I am not restoring anything. I just want to customize it. Please
> > reread what I typed.
> > --
> > Phillip Pi
> > Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
> > ISP/Symantec Online Services, Consumer Business Unit
> > Symantec Corporation
> > www.symantec.com
> > -----------------------------------------------------
> > Email: phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
> > -----------------------------------------------------
> > Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
> > expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
> > views of my employer. Thank you.

> I'm sorry, Phillip, I think that was meant for a different thread and
> somehow I accidentally posted it in this one.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon
> Backup is a PC user's best friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2007
Phillip Pi
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Customize Vista's System Restore?
On 8/6/2007 3:19 PM PT, Michael Solomon wrote:

>
>
> "Phillip Pi" <phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC> wrote in message
> news:#ZBSaAH2HHA.1100@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> On 8/6/2007 1:13 PM PT, Michael Solomon wrote:
>>
>>>> In Windows XP, I could customize each drive to have a non-default
>>>> size (low as 200 MB), disable, or enable for the system restore
>>>> feature. In Vista, I cannot customize each drive. I can only enable
>>>> and disable it.
>>>>
>>>> Did I miss this option in Vista?
>>>
>>> Did you try using System Restore to take you
>>> back to a time prior to when this began. While System Restore is
>>> meant to
>>> only restore your settings and registry to a specific point in time,
>>> as a
>>> precaution, your data should be well backed up before using it. Start
>>> Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore.

>>
>> Umm, I am not restoring anything. I just want to customize it. Please
>> reread what I typed.


> I'm sorry, Phillip, I think that was meant for a different thread and
> somehow I accidentally posted it in this one.


Thanks for the reply. Misreplying happens (I have done it before).
--
Phillip Pi
Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
ISP/Symantec Online Services, Consumer Business Unit
Symantec Corporation
www.symantec.com
-----------------------------------------------------
Email: phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
-----------------------------------------------------
Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
views of my employer. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2007
Phillip Pi
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Customize Vista's System Restore?
On 8/6/2007 3:54 PM PT, Wayne L wrote:

> Phillip - There is a MS site for reducing System Restore. Do a Google search,
> or go to "howtogeek.com" home page. I've used his advice and it works. Wayne


Thank you.
--
Phillip Pi
Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
ISP/Symantec Online Services, Consumer Business Unit
Symantec Corporation
www.symantec.com
-----------------------------------------------------
Email: phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
-----------------------------------------------------
Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
views of my employer. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2007
Phillip Pi
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Customize Vista's System Restore?
On 8/6/2007 3:54 PM PT, Wayne L wrote:

> Phillip - There is a MS site for reducing System Restore. Do a Google search,
> or go to "howtogeek.com" home page. I've used his advice and it works. Wayne


http://lifehacker.com/software/windo...age-254365.php
for anyone who cares. I wonder why MS disabled this. I think it is a big
waste to have GBs of system restore points if I had an one TB drive
(153.6 GB used for system restore points) or something. :/
--
Phillip Pi
Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
ISP/Symantec Online Services, Consumer Business Unit
Symantec Corporation
www.symantec.com
-----------------------------------------------------
Email: phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
-----------------------------------------------------
Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
views of my employer. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Customize Vista's System Restore? Phillip Pi microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 12 08-08-2007 19:02
Customize Vista's System Restore? Phillip Pi microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 14 08-08-2007 19:02
Customize your system icons with Microangelo On Display BlogFeed Windows Vista Blogs Forum 0 07-13-2007 22:17
Reduce Vista's System Restore Disk Usage BlogFeed Windows Vista Blogs Forum 0 04-24-2007 22:04
How good is Vista's System Restore =?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBSb2JpbnNvbg==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 18 04-20-2007 23:42




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:01.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120