Windows Aero

Daniel Hirons

Windows Aero
Recently my computer would not turn on and load properly. It was just stuck
on a black screen saying something had gone corrupt and it didn't allow me to
go any further. Therefore I had to reload windows vista all over again and
re-install all of my programs again. However, after doing all of this I
realised that something was wrong with my computer. Things like the windows
Flip 3D were not there and then I realised there was something wrong with
Windows Aero on my computer. Before the computer crashed and would not work I
had windows aero and I should have it now because I've got Vista Home
Premium.

Then when I go to personalization and Window Colour and Appearance settings
windows aero is not available.

So I don't know why this is happening and I would be grateful for any help
in how to get windows aero back up and running
--
Dan
MrSlartybartfast

RE: Windows Aero
Have you installed the motherboard and graphic drivers?
Daniel Hirons

RE: Windows Aero
I think they're still installed from the initial time when I set up the
computer. The computer still works fine except it is without the specific
windows aero features.
--
Dan

"MrSlartybartfast" wrote:

> Have you installed the motherboard and graphic drivers?

dean-dean

Re: Windows Aero
Is "Windows Vista" a choice in Control Panel (Classic View) >
Personalization > Theme? If not, try going to Control Panel (Classic View)

"Daniel Hirons" <DanielHirons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news4926060-B8DC-4EEC-9801-D773191CCC89@microsoft.com...
>I think they're still installed from the initial time when I set up the
> computer. The computer still works fine except it is without the specific
> windows aero features.
> --
> Dan
>

> "MrSlartybartfast" wrote:
>
>> Have you installed the motherboard and graphic drivers?

Daniel Hirons

Re: Windows Aero
windows vista is already displayed there

--
Dan

"dean-dean" wrote:

> Is "Windows Vista" a choice in Control Panel (Classic View) >
> Personalization > Theme? If not, try going to Control Panel (Classic View)
> > Performance Information and Tools, and click on "Update My Score".

> "Daniel Hirons" <DanielHirons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news4926060-B8DC-4EEC-9801-D773191CCC89@microsoft.com...
> >I think they're still installed from the initial time when I set up the
> > computer. The computer still works fine except it is without the specific
> > windows aero features.
> > --
> > Dan
> >

> > "MrSlartybartfast" wrote:
> >
> >> Have you installed the motherboard and graphic drivers?

dean-dean

Re: Windows Aero
Well, choose Windows Vista, and then go to Control Panel (Classic View)
Performance Information and Tools, and click on "Update My Score". (It's on
the right-hand side of the page, beneath the big blue "Base
Score" #.# picture).

> windows vista is already displayed there
>
> --
> Dan
>

> "dean-dean" wrote:
>
>> Is "Windows Vista" a choice in Control Panel (Classic View) >
>> Personalization > Theme? If not, try going to Control Panel (Classic
>> View)
>> > Performance Information and Tools, and click on "Update My Score".

>> "Daniel Hirons" <DanielHirons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news4926060-B8DC-4EEC-9801-D773191CCC89@microsoft.com...
>> >I think they're still installed from the initial time when I set up the
>> > computer. The computer still works fine except it is without the
>> > specific
>> > windows aero features.
>> > --
>> > Dan

Daniel Hirons

Re: Windows Aero
I've done that but nothing has changed....
--
Dan

"dean-dean" wrote:

> Well, choose Windows Vista, and then go to Control Panel (Classic View)
> Performance Information and Tools, and click on "Update My Score". (It's on
> the right-hand side of the page, beneath the big blue "Base
> Score" #.# picture).
>
> "Daniel Hirons" <DanielHirons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > windows vista is already displayed there
> >
> > --
> > Dan
> >

> > "dean-dean" wrote:
> >
> >> Is "Windows Vista" a choice in Control Panel (Classic View) >
> >> Personalization > Theme? If not, try going to Control Panel (Classic
> >> View)
> >>
> >> "Daniel Hirons" <DanielHirons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news4926060-B8DC-4EEC-9801-D773191CCC89@microsoft.com...

dean-dean

Re: Windows Aero
In the Start Search box of the Start Menu, type services.msc. Is the
Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service set to be Automatic at
startup? If it's not, set it that way, and then restart your computer.

If Aero still doesn't work, go to this key in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM

In the right-hand pane, is there a value called "Composition" (without
quotes) under the Name column? Note this NOT the value name
"CompositionPolicy" (without quotes). If so, what is it's value for
"Composition" under the Data column? What is the value Data for
"CompositionPolicy"?

> I've done that but nothing has changed....
> --
> Dan
>

> "dean-dean" wrote:
>
>> Well, choose Windows Vista, and then go to Control Panel (Classic View)
>> Performance Information and Tools, and click on "Update My Score". (It's
>> on
>> the right-hand side of the page, beneath the big blue "Base
>> Score" #.# picture).
>>
>> "Daniel Hirons" <DanielHirons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > windows vista is already displayed there
>> >
>> > --
>> > Dan

Daniel Hirons

Re: Windows Aero
It is already set to automatic. Shall I go ahead and do the next part of what
you say then? What do you mean when you say the registry?
--
Dan

"dean-dean" wrote:

> In the Start Search box of the Start Menu, type services.msc. Is the
> Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service set to be Automatic at
> startup? If it's not, set it that way, and then restart your computer.
>
> If Aero still doesn't work, go to this key in the registry:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM
>
> In the right-hand pane, is there a value called "Composition" (without
> quotes) under the Name column? Note this NOT the value name
> "CompositionPolicy" (without quotes). If so, what is it's value for
> "Composition" under the Data column? What is the value Data for
> "CompositionPolicy"?
>

> "Daniel Hirons" <DanielHirons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've done that but nothing has changed....
> > --
> > Dan
> >

> > "dean-dean" wrote:
> >
> >> Well, choose Windows Vista, and then go to Control Panel (Classic View)
> >> Performance Information and Tools, and click on "Update My Score". (It's
> >> on
> >> the right-hand side of the page, beneath the big blue "Base
> >> Score" #.# picture).

dean-dean

Re: Windows Aero
The registry is is a (huge) database for Windows and programs. You can read
it by using the Registry Editor. However if you have never used the Editor,
it can be pretty daunting, initially.

Don't make any changes, just try to navigate to the Key (folder) I gave you,
by expanding each Key one at a time, down the ladder, so to speak, starting
with the "folder" HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Next expand the Software "folder",
then the Microsoft "folder", and so on, and report back what you see (in the
right-hand pane) for the DWM folder's values.

To open the Editor, press the Windows Key + R. Type regedit in the Run box,
and click on OK.

Here's the "path" again: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM

When you get to the DWM Key, it will look some thing like this:
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/8510/rgeditmx0.jpg

Then tell me the Data values for the Name values noted in my previous post.