Defrag

Stephen

Defrag
With the new Vista, there is not any indications of how far along the defrag
is.
It states it may take minutes to hours. Well mine has been going for hours
and not completed yet and no indications it will finish soon.
Any others have any experience with this?

Rick Rogers

Re: Defrag
Hi,

Defrag is now a low priority background service. There are no graphics or
interface to watch (did you really enjoy watching blocks move anyways?) It
will run as needed during idle times. Initially this may be a lengthy run,
as an OS install tends to splatter data all over the drive.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Stephen" <swjensen@comcast.net> wrote in message
> With the new Vista, there is not any indications of how far along the
> defrag is.
> It states it may take minutes to hours. Well mine has been going for
> hours and not completed yet and no indications it will finish soon.
> Any others have any experience with this?

andy

Re: Defrag
I have manually run the defrag as my computer( new) has been slow to close
down and slow to start up...the defrag has been running for 6 hrs
already..how many hours does it take to defrag on Manual and should I let it
continue on manual defrag......Need help

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Defrag is now a low priority background service. There are no graphics or
> interface to watch (did you really enjoy watching blocks move anyways?) It
> will run as needed during idle times. Initially this may be a lengthy run,
> as an OS install tends to splatter data all over the drive.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Stephen" <swjensen@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > With the new Vista, there is not any indications of how far along the
> > defrag is.
> > It states it may take minutes to hours. Well mine has been going for
> > hours and not completed yet and no indications it will finish soon.
> > Any others have any experience with this?

brink

Re: Defrag

Stephen;410072 Wrote:
> With the new Vista, there is not any indications of how far along the
> defrag
> is.
> It states it may take minutes to hours. Well mine has been going for
> hours
> and not completed yet and no indications it will finish soon.
> Any others have any experience with this?

Hi Stephen,

It really depends on how large your hard drive is. You can run Disk
Defragmenter from a elevated command prompt to give it more priority.
You can see how here with all the different options:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/81...nd-prompt.html

Another good option is a free program called "Auslogics Disk Defrag".
It runs much faster and has the bar graphs and a progress bar. You can
download it here:

'Disk Defrag - Reclaim the Speed Of Your Disks'
(http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag/)

Shawn

--
brink

_http://www.vistax64.com/ (\"http://www.vistax64.com/\")_
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Rick Rogers

Re: Defrag
Hi Andy,

How long defrag takes depends on a number of factors. How much data there
is, how badly fragmented it is, how much drive space there is, etc. A badly
fragmented drive could easily take days to correct. However, it may not be
the cause of your problems. A fragmented drive can cause slow performance,
but delays in startup and shutdown are more likely to be caused by programs
(either overloaded at startup, or failing to acknowledge a terminate signal
at shutdown). I would concentrate your efforts on those potential issues
rather than be concerned about fragmentation (which, by the way, when left
on automatic will take care of that issue without having to manually run
it).

--

"andy" <andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have manually run the defrag as my computer( new) has been slow to close
> down and slow to start up...the defrag has been running for 6 hrs
> already..how many hours does it take to defrag on Manual and should I let
> it
> continue on manual defrag......Need help
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Defrag is now a low priority background service. There are no graphics or
>> interface to watch (did you really enjoy watching blocks move anyways?)
>> It
>> will run as needed during idle times. Initially this may be a lengthy
>> run,
>> as an OS install tends to splatter data all over the drive.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Stephen" <swjensen@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > With the new Vista, there is not any indications of how far along the
>> > defrag is.
>> > It states it may take minutes to hours. Well mine has been going for
>> > hours and not completed yet and no indications it will finish soon.
>> > Any others have any experience with this?

Lord Takyon

Re: Defrag
"Stephen" <swjensen@comcast.net> wrote in message
> With the new Vista, there is not any indications of how far along the
> defrag is.
> It states it may take minutes to hours. Well mine has been going for
> hours and not completed yet and no indications it will finish soon.
> Any others have any experience with this?

Vista Defrag is fine if you just want something slow running in the
background, but if you want good on demand scanning then you have to go
third party. Personally I use Ultimate Defrag, but there are many many more
available, just have a look. I used O&O for several years too.

FWIW the built in defrag on Vista for me takes forever. It literally takes
hours, usually 10 or more, even when the system is idle. I have left it
overnight and sometimes it still is not finished.

--
Can't think of a sig at the moment.
Read this instead.

Rollbar

Re: Defrag
I have ran the defrag & after annilization it say's everthing is OK, but, I
want to manually run it anyway. After I run it (taking 30min) it say's the
samething. I'm just wondering if it does it or not cause I do not see any
change.

P.S. I defrag once a week.

Thanks,

"Lord Takyon" wrote:

> "Stephen" <swjensen@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > With the new Vista, there is not any indications of how far along the
> > defrag is.
> > It states it may take minutes to hours. Well mine has been going for
> > hours and not completed yet and no indications it will finish soon.
> > Any others have any experience with this?

> Vista Defrag is fine if you just want something slow running in the
> background, but if you want good on demand scanning then you have to go
> third party. Personally I use Ultimate Defrag, but there are many many more
> available, just have a look. I used O&O for several years too.
>
> FWIW the built in defrag on Vista for me takes forever. It literally takes
> hours, usually 10 or more, even when the system is idle. I have left it
> overnight and sometimes it still is not finished.
>
> --
> Can't think of a sig at the moment.
> Read this instead.

dracula minster

reply
u r not the only one, my brand new vista laptop has been trying to defrag over and over again. One time it ran for 5-6 HOURS and a message said "Windows Vista Defrag Aborted. (error code, ????????????????)

Stephen wrote:

Defrag
04-Aug-07

With the new Vista, there is not any indications of how far along the defrag
is.
It states it may take minutes to hours. Well mine has been going for hours
and not completed yet and no indications it will finish soon.
Any others have any experience with this?

On Saturday, August 04, 2007 8:38 PM
Stephen wrote:

Defrag
With the new Vista, there is not any indications of how far along the defrag
is.
It states it may take minutes to hours. Well mine has been going for hours
and not completed yet and no indications it will finish soon.
Any others have any experience with this?

On Saturday, August 04, 2007 10:13 PM
Rick Rogers wrote:

Hi,Defrag is now a low priority background service.
Hi,

Defrag is now a low priority background service. There are no graphics or
interface to watch (did you really enjoy watching blocks move anyways?) It
will run as needed during idle times. Initially this may be a lengthy run,
as an OS install tends to splatter data all over the drive.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Stephen" <swjensen@comcast.net> wrote in message

On Sunday, August 05, 2007 1:36 AM
and wrote:

I have manually run the defrag as my computer( new) has been slow to close
I have manually run the defrag as my computer( new) has been slow to close
down and slow to start up...the defrag has been running for 6 hrs
already..how many hours does it take to defrag on Manual and should I let it
continue on manual defrag......Need help

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

On Sunday, August 05, 2007 5:01 AM
brink wrote:

Re: Defrag
Stephen;410072 Wrote:

Hi Stephen,

It really depends on how large your hard drive is. You can run Disk
Defragmenter from a elevated command prompt to give it more priority.
You can see how here with all the different options:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/81...nd-prompt.html

Another good option is a free program called "Auslogics Disk Defrag".
It runs much faster and has the bar graphs and a progress bar. You can
download it here:

'Disk Defrag - Reclaim the Speed Of Your Disks'
(http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag/)

Shawn

--
brink

_http://www.vistax64.com/ (\"http://www.vistax64.com/\")_
*Please post feedback to help others.*

On Sunday, August 05, 2007 8:07 AM
Rick Rogers wrote:

[...]

On Sunday, August 05, 2007 9:19 AM
Lord Takyon wrote:

Re: Defrag
"Stephen" <swjensen@comcast.net> wrote in message

Vista Defrag is fine if you just want something slow running in the
background, but if you want good on demand scanning then you have to go
third party. Personally I use Ultimate Defrag, but there are many many more
available, just have a look. I used O&O for several years too.

FWIW the built in defrag on Vista for me takes forever. It literally takes
hours, usually 10 or more, even when the system is idle. I have left it
overnight and sometimes it still is not finished.

--
Can't think of a sig at the moment.
Read this instead.

On Tuesday, August 07, 2007 5:32 PM
Rollba wrote:

I have ran the defrag & after annilization it say's everthing is OK, but, I
I have ran the defrag & after annilization it say's everthing is OK, but, I
want to manually run it anyway. After I run it (taking 30min) it say's the
samething. I'm just wondering if it does it or not cause I do not see any
change.

P.S. I defrag once a week.

Thanks,

"Lord Takyon" wrote:

BizTalk Configure and Send SMTP Mail Based on Message Within an Orchestration
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...e-and-sen.aspx