Re: Does Vista Wake Up for Defragmenting? (a correction)

John Hanley

"John Hanley" <jphanley@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:...
>I did some googling for an answer to this, but did not find a direct
>answer. My Disk Defragmenter is scheduled to run at 1:00 a.m. every
>Wednesday (the default schedule that came with the installation). Normally
>my computer is in Sleep mode at that time. Do I presume that the
>Defragmenter wakes the computer, performs the Defrag, then puts the
>computer back to Sleep? The reason I ask is that I see that the last
>Defrag was run last Wednesday at 10:11 p.m. which might have been about the
>time I put the computer to Sleep for the night; so possibly it got it over
>with before it actually entered Sleep? Just trying to understand. Thanks.

Just realized that I goofed in this post. The actual defrag took place at
10:11 p.m. Wednesday which is many hours *after* the scheduled time of 1:00
a.m. So, perhaps it could not defrag at the scheduled time and then did it
at an opportune time later?

Diamontina Cocktail

> "John Hanley" <jphanley@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:...
>>I did some googling for an answer to this, but did not find a direct
>>answer. My Disk Defragmenter is scheduled to run at 1:00 a.m. every
>>Wednesday (the default schedule that came with the installation).
>>Normally my computer is in Sleep mode at that time. Do I presume that the
>>Defragmenter wakes the computer, performs the Defrag, then puts the
>>computer back to Sleep? The reason I ask is that I see that the last
>>Defrag was run last Wednesday at 10:11 p.m. which might have been about
>>the time I put the computer to Sleep for the night; so possibly it got it
>>over with before it actually entered Sleep? Just trying to understand.
>>Thanks.

> Just realized that I goofed in this post. The actual defrag took place at
> 10:11 p.m. Wednesday which is many hours *after* the scheduled time of
> 1:00 a.m. So, perhaps it could not defrag at the scheduled time and then
> did it at an opportune time later?

Not really answering your question here because I am not entirely sure of
the answer but suggesting something different that may help.

When I get home from work, the computer goes on and email gets picked up
while I then go to change. I check for any urgent work related stuff and if
not there will do whatever needs doing around the house at the time but at
around 7PM I am usually having dinner and because I have ruined 2 keyboards
in the past, don't have dinner or a drink near them (I have a coffee but I
keep it far from it but ONLY a coffee at such times) and therefore am
watching TV while having dinner. As I am rarely at the computer at 7PM I set
my computer to defrag 7PM Wednesday nights. By the time I get back to the
computer, the defrag is either done or close to done. In any case, the
computer is on at 7PM every night. I don't use hibernate as if the
hiberfil.sys is ever corrupted, it causes problems but I do use sleep. The
computer always defrags. So my answer is that defrag could be done at a time
that suits you where you aren't near the machine like when you are having
dinner for example, don't use hibernate and allow it to sleep. It seems to
wake.

BTW, check your power settings. You may well be having the machine hibernate
after so many hours and don't know it thus the machine may never wake up to
defrag. I ended up making up my own power scheme to overcome similar
problems to that.

Dave Turner

Diamontina Cocktail wrote:

> "John Hanley" <jphanley@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "John Hanley" <jphanley@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:...
>>> I did some googling for an answer to this, but did not find a direct
>>> answer. My Disk Defragmenter is scheduled to run at 1:00 a.m. every
>>> Wednesday (the default schedule that came with the installation).
>>> Normally my computer is in Sleep mode at that time. Do I presume
>>> that the Defragmenter wakes the computer, performs the Defrag, then
>>> puts the computer back to Sleep? The reason I ask is that I see that
>>> the last Defrag was run last Wednesday at 10:11 p.m. which might have
>>> been about the time I put the computer to Sleep for the night; so
>>> possibly it got it over with before it actually entered Sleep? Just
>>> trying to understand. Thanks.

>> Just realized that I goofed in this post. The actual defrag took
>> place at 10:11 p.m. Wednesday which is many hours *after* the
>> scheduled time of 1:00 a.m. So, perhaps it could not defrag at the
>> scheduled time and then did it at an opportune time later?

> Not really answering your question here because I am not entirely sure
> of the answer but suggesting something different that may help.
>
> When I get home from work, the computer goes on and email gets picked up
> while I then go to change. I check for any urgent work related stuff and
> if not there will do whatever needs doing around the house at the time
> but at around 7PM I am usually having dinner and because I have ruined 2
> keyboards in the past, don't have dinner or a drink near them (I have a
> coffee but I keep it far from it but ONLY a coffee at such times) and
> therefore am watching TV while having dinner. As I am rarely at the
> computer at 7PM I set my computer to defrag 7PM Wednesday nights. By the
> time I get back to the computer, the defrag is either done or close to
> done. In any case, the computer is on at 7PM every night. I don't use
> hibernate as if the hiberfil.sys is ever corrupted, it causes problems
> but I do use sleep. The computer always defrags. So my answer is that
> defrag could be done at a time that suits you where you aren't near the
> machine like when you are having dinner for example, don't use hibernate
> and allow it to sleep. It seems to wake.
>
> BTW, check your power settings. You may well be having the machine
> hibernate after so many hours and don't know it thus the machine may
> never wake up to defrag. I ended up making up my own power scheme to
> overcome similar problems to that.

I was curious about this same issue, so I talked to a techie and he said
that if you want to do service on the computer at night you must change
your power settings. It will not wake up to do scheduled maintenance.
Click Start > control panel > power options >High Performance > exit.
This will turn off your monitor after a period of time, but the system
stays active.
Dave
Sam Kroonenburg [MSFT]

Re: Does Vista Wake Up for Defragmenting? (a correction)
Hello John,

No, defrag will not wake your computer from sleep to perform a scheduled
defrag. It will postpone the defrag until later. It will wait until you
power on your machine, and you leave your machine idle for some period of
time (ie. it will not start automatically as soon as you power on your
machine and start using it. Defrag should only run when you are not using
your machine. )

Thanks!
Sam Kroonenburg

"John Hanley" <jphanley@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> "John Hanley" <jphanley@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:...
>>I did some googling for an answer to this, but did not find a direct
>>answer. My Disk Defragmenter is scheduled to run at 1:00 a.m. every
>>Wednesday (the default schedule that came with the installation).
>>Normally my computer is in Sleep mode at that time. Do I presume that the
>>Defragmenter wakes the computer, performs the Defrag, then puts the
>>computer back to Sleep? The reason I ask is that I see that the last
>>Defrag was run last Wednesday at 10:11 p.m. which might have been about
>>the time I put the computer to Sleep for the night; so possibly it got it
>>over with before it actually entered Sleep? Just trying to understand.
>>Thanks.

> Just realized that I goofed in this post. The actual defrag took place at
> 10:11 p.m. Wednesday which is many hours *after* the scheduled time of
> 1:00 a.m. So, perhaps it could not defrag at the scheduled time and then
> did it at an opportune time later?

John Hanley

Re: Does Vista Wake Up for Defragmenting? (a correction)
Thanks Sam; I have now changed the schedule to 9 a.m. on Wednesdays, so I
can keep an eye on it!