Re: IE 7 Does not run with DEP error.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE 7 Does not run with DEP error.
(cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)
"Shipwrecked59" <Shipwrecked59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem. I have to use Internet Explorer without addins which
> is too risky. I have tried time after time to fix this DEP problem, but so
> far nothing works, and I do not want to use the "Recover to Factory
> Defaults". I've had to do that 3 times as of today. This is riduculous, I
> just got this new HP Pavilion computer about 3 weeks ago. As far as I am
> concerned, Windows Vista is a glorified, updated version of Windows ME or
> worse. But, I did not have a choice, Vista came with the computer. I'm really
> tempted to delete Vista and install my all time favorite, WindowsXP.

At least you have disclosed your OS. ; )
(OP symptom description is so vague nobody would have been able to
have provided any immediate help or suggestions.)

So, what does your Subject _mean_?
What exactly have you "tried time after time to fix this DEP problem"?

Remember, your words have to substitute for what our eyes might notice.

BTW in case your symptom is already known to users of Vista you might
get more relevant help by posting in a newsgroup which specializes
in that OS. Cross-posting to one for convenience.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> --
> CaptKidd
>

> "timebandit" wrote:
>
>> I tried the reset button , tried to uninstall all add ons, tried to run
>> without add ons. I even tried to override the DEP on the IE .exe file. All
>> spyware scans are negative.

Rick Rogers

Re: IE 7 Does not run with DEP error.
Curious is this line: "I have to use Internet Explorer without addins which
is too risky."

Um, it tells you the answer to the problem. One of the plug-ins is not Vista
compatible and is trying to run in protected memory space, thus is causing
DEP error messages.

In addition, it is allowing addins/plugins to run WITH Internet Explorer
that exposes the system to risk, not the opposite as is implied by the OP.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> (cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)
> "Shipwrecked59" <Shipwrecked59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have the same problem. I have to use Internet Explorer without addins
>>which
>> is too risky. I have tried time after time to fix this DEP problem, but
>> so
>> far nothing works, and I do not want to use the "Recover to Factory
>> Defaults". I've had to do that 3 times as of today. This is riduculous, I
>> just got this new HP Pavilion computer about 3 weeks ago. As far as I am
>> concerned, Windows Vista is a glorified, updated version of Windows ME or
>> worse. But, I did not have a choice, Vista came with the computer. I'm
>> really
>> tempted to delete Vista and install my all time favorite, WindowsXP.

> At least you have disclosed your OS. ; )
> (OP symptom description is so vague nobody would have been able to
> have provided any immediate help or suggestions.)
>
> So, what does your Subject _mean_?
> What exactly have you "tried time after time to fix this DEP problem"?
>
> Remember, your words have to substitute for what our eyes might notice.
>
> BTW in case your symptom is already known to users of Vista you might
> get more relevant help by posting in a newsgroup which specializes
> in that OS. Cross-posting to one for convenience.
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>

>> --
>> CaptKidd
>>

>> "timebandit" wrote:
>>
>>> I tried the reset button , tried to uninstall all add ons, tried to run
>>> without add ons. I even tried to override the DEP on the IE .exe file.
>>> All
>>> spyware scans are negative.

Robert Aldwinckle

> Curious is this line: "I have to use Internet Explorer without addins which
> is too risky."

Agreed. I think risky may be the wrong word though. E.g. typically usability
is so greatly impacted, especially when ActiveX controls are needed by some
web apps, that it is impractical to use that option as anything but the diagnostic
it was designed to be.

> Um, it tells you the answer to the problem. One of the plug-ins is not Vista
> compatible and is trying to run in protected memory space, thus is causing
> DEP error messages.

In another subthread the OP has disclosed that it looked as if the Yahoo! toolbar
was the culprit, so that was disabled but the symptom continued.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...xp=&sloc=en-us

> In addition, it is allowing addins/plugins to run WITH Internet Explorer
> that exposes the system to risk, not the opposite as is implied by the OP.

Actually I cross-posted to try to get some ideas for diagnosis.
FWIW I have never seen a DEP crash. Does drwtsn32.log record it?
E.g. to capture Stack Back Trace for the crashing thread?
Alternatively would ProcMon capture one?

Also, can we assume that DEP support is unchanged in Vista?
E.g. the only detailed KB article about is still

<title>A detailed description of the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) feature
in Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005,
and Windows Server 2003</title>
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

and it doesn't contain a single mention of Vista. <eg>

FYI

Robert
---