"cannot open volume for direct access" - error message re chkdsk

Conley

"cannot open volume for direct access" - error message re chkdsk
The chkdsk utility will no longer run. Instead, I get this error message:
"cannot open volume for direct access." I found some old KB articles
indicating that this problem had come up under Windows XP and was going to be
fixed by an upcoming service pack. Why am I getting this error message with
Vista Ultimate?
Rick Rogers

Re: "cannot open volume for direct access" - error message re chkdsk
Hi,

Any volume in use cannot be dismounted, which is required for chkdsk to run
a full check. Normally, one is prompted for it to be completed on the next
reboot, does this not occur for you?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Conley" <Conley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The chkdsk utility will no longer run. Instead, I get this error message:
> "cannot open volume for direct access." I found some old KB articles
> indicating that this problem had come up under Windows XP and was going to
> be
> fixed by an upcoming service pack. Why am I getting this error message
> with
> Vista Ultimate?

Conley

Re: "cannot open volume for direct access" - error message re chkd
The error message comes up AFTER the scan has been requested and scheduled
and the computer has been rebooted so that the scan can run.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Any volume in use cannot be dismounted, which is required for chkdsk to run
> a full check. Normally, one is prompted for it to be completed on the next
> reboot, does this not occur for you?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Conley" <Conley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The chkdsk utility will no longer run. Instead, I get this error message:
> > "cannot open volume for direct access." I found some old KB articles
> > indicating that this problem had come up under Windows XP and was going to
> > be
> > fixed by an upcoming service pack. Why am I getting this error message
> > with
> > Vista Ultimate?

Rick Rogers

Re: "cannot open volume for direct access" - error message re chkd
Hi,

Do you have any boot time antivirus scanners running?

--

> The error message comes up AFTER the scan has been requested and
> scheduled
> and the computer has been rebooted so that the scan can run.
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Any volume in use cannot be dismounted, which is required for chkdsk to
>> run
>> a full check. Normally, one is prompted for it to be completed on the
>> next
>> reboot, does this not occur for you?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Conley" <Conley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > The chkdsk utility will no longer run. Instead, I get this error
>> > message:
>> > "cannot open volume for direct access." I found some old KB articles
>> > indicating that this problem had come up under Windows XP and was going
>> > be
>> > fixed by an upcoming service pack. Why am I getting this error message
>> > with
>> > Vista Ultimate?

Conley

Re: "cannot open volume for direct access" - error message re chkd
I have already tried disabling my antivirus progam before setting up the
scan, and it made no difference - the scan would not run. Besides, when
chkdsk was working, it ran without regard to whether the antivirus program
was running.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Do you have any boot time antivirus scanners running?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Conley" <Conley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The error message comes up AFTER the scan has been requested and
> > scheduled
> > and the computer has been rebooted so that the scan can run.
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Any volume in use cannot be dismounted, which is required for chkdsk to
> >> run
> >> a full check. Normally, one is prompted for it to be completed on the
> >> next
> >> reboot, does this not occur for you?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Rick Rogers

Re: "cannot open volume for direct access" - error message re chkd
Hi,

AV programs are not the only problems, any disk management software can
cause this issue. In addition, an update to your existing AV and security
software can cause the issue (have you done any prior to this problem
beginning?).

--

>I have already tried disabling my antivirus progam before setting up the
> scan, and it made no difference - the scan would not run. Besides, when
> chkdsk was working, it ran without regard to whether the antivirus program
> was running.
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do you have any boot time antivirus scanners running?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Conley" <Conley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > The error message comes up AFTER the scan has been requested and
>> > scheduled
>> > and the computer has been rebooted so that the scan can run.

Conley

Re: "cannot open volume for direct access" - error message re chkd
What do you mean by "disk management software"? How does it cause this
issue, and how do you undo the damage?

There was a recent update to Norton Antivirus 2007, but I have uninstalled
the program and installed AVG Free, and I still have the same problem.
Another possibility would be a rootkit scanner called gmer that I tried out
recently. After it caused my computer to freeze, I uninstalled it. I have
searched the registry and the file system for any lingering traces of the
program and found nothing. I have also run Autoruns, and I saw nothing on
the list of what was loading at start-up that struck me as unusual.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:
..
> Hi,
>
> AV programs are not the only problems, any disk management software can
> cause this issue. In addition, an update to your existing AV and security
> software can cause the issue (have you done any prior to this problem
> beginning?).
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Conley" <Conley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have already tried disabling my antivirus progam before setting up the
> > scan, and it made no difference - the scan would not run. Besides, when
> > chkdsk was working, it ran without regard to whether the antivirus program
> > was running.
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Do you have any boot time antivirus scanners running?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Rick Rogers

Re: "cannot open volume for direct access" - error message re chkd
Hi,

There's this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555484

And as well some disk utilities make system changes that are not undone when
they are uninstalled. You might try running chkdsk /x to force dismounting.

--

> What do you mean by "disk management software"? How does it cause this
> issue, and how do you undo the damage?
>
> There was a recent update to Norton Antivirus 2007, but I have uninstalled
> the program and installed AVG Free, and I still have the same problem.
> Another possibility would be a rootkit scanner called gmer that I tried
> out
> recently. After it caused my computer to freeze, I uninstalled it. I
> have
> searched the registry and the file system for any lingering traces of the
> program and found nothing. I have also run Autoruns, and I saw nothing on
> the list of what was loading at start-up that struck me as unusual.
>

> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> .
>> Hi,
>>
>> AV programs are not the only problems, any disk management software can
>> cause this issue. In addition, an update to your existing AV and security
>> software can cause the issue (have you done any prior to this problem
>> beginning?).
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Conley" <Conley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have already tried disabling my antivirus progam before setting up the
>> > scan, and it made no difference - the scan would not run. Besides,
>> > when
>> > chkdsk was working, it ran without regard to whether the antivirus
>> > program
>> > was running.

Conley

Re: "cannot open volume for direct access" - error message re chkd
Per the KB article, I disabled all non-Microsoft services and rebooted.
(There was very little there except for the antivirus program.)

I then tried running chkdsk with various combinations of /f, /r and /x, and
I got the following results:

/f No text screen came up
/r The screen with the error message re "direct
access" came up
/x No text screen came up
/f /x No text screen came up
/r /x The screen with the error message re "direct
access" came up

Do you know of anything else that I should be looking for if the problem is
not attributable to a boot-loading third-party service or driver, which
should have shown up on the Autoruns scan?

Thanks for all of your time and effort.

Hi Conley,

Try running chkntfs /d, then chkdsk.