Complete PC Backup - why I cannot select G drive?

Hikari

Complete PC Backup - why I cannot select G drive?
I have 2 HDDs:
1. SATA - C: with Vista (32Gb), D: for data (40)
2. USB drive - G: for backups (32), H: for data (200)
E and F are for DVDs.

I want to perform Complete PC Backup, but when system wants me to select the
destination i have onl D and H on the list! I would like to select G.

The strange is that on the next screen C and G are both marked (and the
checkboxs are not active so I cannot unselect G) and right after their names
there is "(System)".

Swap file is solely on C drive. I don't use system restor on G. How to fix
this?
Rick Rogers

Re: Complete PC Backup - why I cannot select G drive?
Hi,

If G: is designated as system, then it cannot be the backup destination. I
am guessing that perhaps you have moved some portion of the user account
folders there?

Besides, at 32GB, it may not be large enough to house the backup when
required overhead is added.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Hikari" <Hikari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 HDDs:
> 1. SATA - C: with Vista (32Gb), D: for data (40)
> 2. USB drive - G: for backups (32), H: for data (200)
> E and F are for DVDs.
>
> I want to perform Complete PC Backup, but when system wants me to select
> the
> destination i have onl D and H on the list! I would like to select G.
>
> The strange is that on the next screen C and G are both marked (and the
> checkboxs are not active so I cannot unselect G) and right after their
> names
> there is "(System)".
>
> Swap file is solely on C drive. I don't use system restor on G. How to fix
> this?

Hikari

Re: Complete PC Backup - why I cannot select G drive?
For some time I had my Outlok archive file there, but currently it's located
back on C: Nothing else comes to my mind.

Is there any way to fix this issue (i.e. convince Vista that G: has nothing
to with the system except storing its backup)???
Rick Rogers

Re: Complete PC Backup - why I cannot select G drive?
Hi,

Something must still be residing there, remapping it back to C: should
resolve it. You need to discover what it is. Things like Document folders
and subfolders, temporary files, and any system default folder can cause it.

--

> For some time I had my Outlok archive file there, but currently it's
> located
> back on C: Nothing else comes to my mind.
>
> Is there any way to fix this issue (i.e. convince Vista that G: has
> nothing
> to with the system except storing its backup)???

Hikari

Re: Complete PC Backup - why I cannot select G drive?
Nick,

I think I found the reason - YOU CANNOT RUN ANY PROGRAM FROM THE DRIVE YOU
WANT TO MAKE BACKUP TO!

I'll make some tests, but I'm 99% sure that this is the issue.
Jamir \(MSFT\)

Re: Complete PC Backup - why I cannot select G drive?
Hikari,

I am assuming you have Vista installed on C: and G: is just an additional
drive you have on your machine. Actually as per your original post it is
just a USB drive on which you used to have your Outlook file on it.

Can you please run the following command to me.

Open a command prompt. Most likely it will be on C:. If so, run the
following:

dir /s /a g:\ > dir.txt

Please send me the dir.txt

Thank you much,

--
Jamir Correa [MSFT]
Microsoft Corporation

> Nick,
>
> I think I found the reason - YOU CANNOT RUN ANY PROGRAM FROM THE DRIVE YOU
> WANT TO MAKE BACKUP TO!
>
> I'll make some tests, but I'm 99% sure that this is the issue.

Hikari

Re: Complete PC Backup - why I cannot select G drive?
Jamir,

I think that the problem lies here that I have some "permanent" programs on
my G: drive.

Previously I was only partially correct - you can run SOME software from G:

For example I can run EVEREST ULTIMATE and make a backup on G, but I have a
problem when WinRAR is installed (because of RarExt64.dll). Is it possible
that this is the issue?
Jamir \(MSFT\)

Re: Complete PC Backup - why I cannot select G drive?
To be able to answer that, can you open a command prompt. Most likely it
will be on C:. If so, run the
following:

dir /s /a g:\ > dir.txt

Get me the dir.txt