Why

tom jonesthethird

Why
Why is it everytime windows comes out with a new operating system the
consumer has to go through about a year worth of trouble and heartache before
the operating system is even close to running? Especially gamers.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...ce_maintenance
f/fgeorge

Re: Why
On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 01:26:04 -0700, tom jonesthethird
<tomjonesthethird@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Why is it everytime windows comes out with a new operating system the
>consumer has to go through about a year worth of trouble and heartache before
>the operating system is even close to running? Especially gamers.

Because you like to be on the cutting edge, those of us that are still
waiting to move our primary pc's to Vista are 'learning' on
non-critical machines, and enjoying the ride.
Rick Rogers

Re: Why
Because...

- An operating system with millions of lines of code written under time
restriction in order to meet corporate and marketing expectations is bound
to have unresolved bugs, this is actually an accepted practice in many
industries
- An operating system designed to run thousands of pieces of different
hardware in millions (perhaps billions) of different configurations is bound
to run into some unanticipated conflicts, despite rigrous testing. Sometimes
too, end users employ non-specification configurations that only compound
the issue.
- Hardware vendors see no profit in writing and distributing new drivers to
support old peripherals, preferring instead to force consumers to purchase
new aftermarket addons.
- Software vendors see no profit in patching or updating old programs,
relying instead on the OS vendor to make everything backwards compatible
(something that is not alwys feasible due to conflicts or security concerns)
- Software vendors loathe having to change the way they write programs to
meet new design parameters
- Some people exist to find flaws

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"tom jonesthethird" <tomjonesthethird@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:F037D641-311A-4FC2-9929-FF6A05840350@microsoft.com...
> Why is it everytime windows comes out with a new operating system the
> consumer has to go through about a year worth of trouble and heartache
> before
> the operating system is even close to running? Especially gamers.
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...ce_maintenance

Lord Takyon

Re: Why
"tom jonesthethird" <tomjonesthethird@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:F037D641-311A-4FC2-9929-FF6A05840350@microsoft.com...
> Why is it everytime windows comes out with a new operating system the
> consumer has to go through about a year worth of trouble and heartache
> before
> the operating system is even close to running? Especially gamers.
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...ce_maintenance

No-one forces you to use it. You don't *have* to do anything.

--
Can't think of a sig at the moment.
Read this instead.

AJR

Re: Why
tom jonesthethird - Regarding "...consumer has to go through about a year
worth of trouble and heartache before the operating system is even close to
running?..." Note at "microsoft.public.windowsxp.general" the number of
posts equals or exceeds the number of daily posts for Vista.

My personal observation: It does not take the OS time (one year?) to get
"close to running", but time (one year?) for the "operator" between the
chair and keyboard to get "close to knowing the OS".

"tom jonesthethird" <tomjonesthethird@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:F037D641-311A-4FC2-9929-FF6A05840350@microsoft.com...
> Why is it everytime windows comes out with a new operating system the
> consumer has to go through about a year worth of trouble and heartache
> before
> the operating system is even close to running? Especially gamers.
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...ce_maintenance

Kurt Herman

Re: Why
You've hit the nail on the head, Rick. Good post!

Kurt

> Because...
>
> - An operating system with millions of lines of code written under time
> restriction in order to meet corporate and marketing expectations is bound
> to have unresolved bugs, this is actually an accepted practice in many
> industries
> - An operating system designed to run thousands of pieces of different
> hardware in millions (perhaps billions) of different configurations is
> bound to run into some unanticipated conflicts, despite rigrous testing.
> Sometimes too, end users employ non-specification configurations that only
> compound the issue.
> - Hardware vendors see no profit in writing and distributing new drivers
> to support old peripherals, preferring instead to force consumers to
> purchase new aftermarket addons.
> - Software vendors see no profit in patching or updating old programs,
> relying instead on the OS vendor to make everything backwards compatible
> (something that is not alwys feasible due to conflicts or security
> concerns)
> - Software vendors loathe having to change the way they write programs to
> meet new design parameters
> - Some people exist to find flaws
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Why
Some have less trouble than others.not everyone has trouble.
No one is forced to upgrade anything including operating systems.
Before upgrading, it is a good idea to research to see if the new
product will meet your needs.
That includes but is not limited to ensuring all essential hardware
and software is compatible with the new operating system.

Gamers typically have a harder time with the upgrade since their
demands are usually higher than typical users.
Gamers rely more heavily on 3rd party support such as video and other
drivers.

By itself, a new operating system available has never been a good
reason to upgrade.
Since Windows XP will probably be supported for several more years,
many should stay with it as long as it does the job.

This applies to all types of products, not just computers and
operating systems.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"tom jonesthethird" <tomjonesthethird@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:F037D641-311A-4FC2-9929-FF6A05840350@microsoft.com...
> Why is it everytime windows comes out with a new operating system
> the
> consumer has to go through about a year worth of trouble and
> heartache before
> the operating system is even close to running? Especially gamers.
>
> ----------------
> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
> the
> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
> the "I
> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,
> follow this
> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader
> and then
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...ce_maintenance

Kevin Young

Re: Why
Right on Rick, you explained things well.

> Because...
>
> - An operating system with millions of lines of code written under time
> restriction in order to meet corporate and marketing expectations is bound
> to have unresolved bugs, this is actually an accepted practice in many
> industries
> - An operating system designed to run thousands of pieces of different
> hardware in millions (perhaps billions) of different configurations is
> bound to run into some unanticipated conflicts, despite rigrous testing.
> Sometimes too, end users employ non-specification configurations that only
> compound the issue.
> - Hardware vendors see no profit in writing and distributing new drivers
> to support old peripherals, preferring instead to force consumers to
> purchase new aftermarket addons.
> - Software vendors see no profit in patching or updating old programs,
> relying instead on the OS vendor to make everything backwards compatible
> (something that is not alwys feasible due to conflicts or security
> concerns)
> - Software vendors loathe having to change the way they write programs to
> meet new design parameters
> - Some people exist to find flaws
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "tom jonesthethird" <tomjonesthethird@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:F037D641-311A-4FC2-9929-FF6A05840350@microsoft.com...
>> Why is it everytime windows comes out with a new operating system the
>> consumer has to go through about a year worth of trouble and heartache
>> before
>> the operating system is even close to running? Especially gamers.
>>
>> ----------------
>> "I
>> this
>> then
>> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>>
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...ce_maintenance

Bruce Chambers

Re: Why
tom jonesthethird wrote:
> Why is it everytime windows comes out with a new operating system the
> consumer has to go through about a year worth of trouble and heartache before
> the operating system is even close to running? Especially gamers.

Perhaps a more appropriate question would be: "Why do so many end users
rush out to obtain and install the 'newest and shiniest' operating
system without first taking a few minutes to determine if the
manufacturers of their chosen hardware components have provided the
appropriate drivers for the devices they sell, or if their preferred
applications and games are compatible with the new OS?"

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Njetspam

Re: Why
Bruce Chambers wrote:
> tom jonesthethird wrote:
>> Why is it everytime windows comes out with a new operating system the
>> consumer has to go through about a year worth of trouble and heartache
>> before the operating system is even close to running? Especially gamers.
>>

> Perhaps a more appropriate question would be: "Why do so many end
> users rush out to obtain and install the 'newest and shiniest' operating
> system without first taking a few minutes to determine if the
> manufacturers of their chosen hardware components have provided the
> appropriate drivers for the devices they sell, or if their preferred
> applications and games are compatible with the new OS?"

Its the new and shiny one. sucks like hell but no worries mates. No sugar