Backup without wizard

Blue Max

Backup without wizard
Isn't there a way to get the old backup interface? The default backup
wizard is too inflexible and leaves the user in the dark as to what is
happening. We don't know exactly what is being backed up or where! How do
we get to an advanced interface for the Windows Vista Backup so that we can
choose specific drives, folders, and files and specify where they will be
backed up, etcetera?

Tim

Re: Backup without wizard
Blue Max wrote:
> Isn't there a way to get the old backup interface? The default backup
> wizard is too inflexible and leaves the user in the dark as to what is
> happening. We don't know exactly what is being backed up or where! How
> do we get to an advanced interface for the Windows Vista Backup so that
> we can choose specific drives, folders, and files and specify where they
> will be backed up, etcetera?

Nope...I want the "old backup interface" as well. You need to go 3rd
party to get that functionality. Many people here like Acronis True
Image. You can check it out at www.acronis.com.

Tim
Blue Max

Re: Backup without wizard
Thanks, Tim, I will look into that product. However, what a shame!
Microsoft inevitable shoots themselves in the foot and forces users to third
party products. The old backup was basic, but pretty decent. Using this
little gem, it appears that I can't even do a quick backup of a critical
project folder nor can I make a backup of several folders to a device that
doesn't have enough room to backup all folders. What a cryin' shame.

"Tim" <tim@overthere.com> wrote in message
> Blue Max wrote:
>> Isn't there a way to get the old backup interface? The default backup
>> wizard is too inflexible and leaves the user in the dark as to what is
>> happening. We don't know exactly what is being backed up or where! How
>> do we get to an advanced interface for the Windows Vista Backup so that
>> we can choose specific drives, folders, and files and specify where they
>> will be backed up, etcetera?

> Nope...I want the "old backup interface" as well. You need to go 3rd party
> to get that functionality. Many people here like Acronis True Image. You
> can check it out at www.acronis.com.
>
> Tim

John Hanley

Re: Backup without wizard

"Blue Max" <mailrichard@msn.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, Tim, I will look into that product. However, what a shame!
> Microsoft inevitable shoots themselves in the foot and forces users to
> third party products. The old backup was basic, but pretty decent. Using
> this little gem, it appears that I can't even do a quick backup of a
> critical project folder nor can I make a backup of several folders to a
> device that doesn't have enough room to backup all folders. What a cryin'
> shame.
>

> "Tim" <tim@overthere.com> wrote in message
>> Blue Max wrote:
>>> Isn't there a way to get the old backup interface? The default backup
>>> wizard is too inflexible and leaves the user in the dark as to what is
>>> happening. We don't know exactly what is being backed up or where! How
>>> do we get to an advanced interface for the Windows Vista Backup so that
>>> we can choose specific drives, folders, and files and specify where they
>>> will be backed up, etcetera?

>> Nope...I want the "old backup interface" as well. You need to go 3rd
>> party to get that functionality. Many people here like Acronis True
>> Image. You can check it out at www.acronis.com.
>>
>> Tim

1. You really should not backup to the same physical disk as your C: or D:
drive; that would not be an independent backup location; Automatic Backup
will not allow you to backup to the C: drive. The D: drive (provided by
your computer manufacturer, not Windows) is not intended to be the backup
location; it is not big enough anyway.
2. I tried the backup to DVD route, but it is too cumbersome and takes too
many discs with Automatic Backup.
3. You could use a tool like SyncToy to copy selected files to one or more
DVD's, but that is not Automatic.
4. I bought a separate, external 160 GB USB hard drive for about $60 for my
Automatic Backup location and that works very well for me.

Raf

Re: Backup without wizard
Totally agree with Blue Max. What a shame! The backup SW that comes with
Windows Vista is terrible! I just want to do a weekly backup of some project
folders from my notebook to my file's server and I can't...

"Blue Max" wrote:

> Thanks, Tim, I will look into that product. However, what a shame!
> Microsoft inevitable shoots themselves in the foot and forces users to third
> party products. The old backup was basic, but pretty decent. Using this
> little gem, it appears that I can't even do a quick backup of a critical
> project folder nor can I make a backup of several folders to a device that
> doesn't have enough room to backup all folders. What a cryin' shame.
>

> "Tim" <tim@overthere.com> wrote in message
> > Blue Max wrote:
> >> Isn't there a way to get the old backup interface? The default backup
> >> wizard is too inflexible and leaves the user in the dark as to what is
> >> happening. We don't know exactly what is being backed up or where! How
> >> do we get to an advanced interface for the Windows Vista Backup so that
> >> we can choose specific drives, folders, and files and specify where they
> >> will be backed up, etcetera?

> > Nope...I want the "old backup interface" as well. You need to go 3rd party
> > to get that functionality. Many people here like Acronis True Image. You
> > can check it out at www.acronis.com.
> >
> > Tim

John Hanley

Re: Backup without wizard
Although I find Windows Vista Backup to be quite satisfactory for me, I have
also used a tool called SyncToy to make backups of specific files and
folders. You can find SyncToy at: http://tinyurl.com/7dlru