computer shuts down for no reason

Holly H

computer shuts down for no reason
I have windows vista basic edition in a brand new HP it with out warning
shuts down. I have been in the middle of very important things and it just
closes down. Any help ideas would be appreciated.
Tim

Re: computer shuts down for no reason
Holly H wrote:
> I have windows vista basic edition in a brand new HP it with out warning
> shuts down. I have been in the middle of very important things and it just
> closes down. Any help ideas would be appreciated.

It sounds like you have a heat-related hardware problem. It could be the
power supply or the CPU or one or more cooling fans. Since it's a new
PC, it must still be under warranty. Call HP support for warranty repair.

Good luck.

Tim
Rick Rogers

Re: computer shuts down for no reason
Hi Holly,

More than likely a hardware issue, I would recommend that you exercise that
warranty as these issues do not resolve themselves nor is it going to be
something you can fix with a software solution.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Holly H" <Holly H@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have windows vista basic edition in a brand new HP it with out warning
> shuts down. I have been in the middle of very important things and it just
> closes down. Any help ideas would be appreciated.

Carlos P.

RE: computer shuts down for no reason
I have a HP desktop with Vista home Premium upgraded from XP. The pc will
just randomly shut down without any error message. It will act like it is in
sleep or hibernate mode though I have changed the settings so that it never
should. It doesn't matter what program I'm working in or if I'm on the net,
this will happen. The power button is lit but the pc is not running. I have
to shut it off and then restart it and then it may run fine for hours. The
only change I can think of that I have made is increasing the ram from 1gig
to 2gigs. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would appreviate any help.

"Holly H" wrote:

> I have windows vista basic edition in a brand new HP it with out warning
> shuts down. I have been in the middle of very important things and it just
> closes down. Any help ideas would be appreciated.

tom business

Re: computer shuts down for no reason

been having the same issue as well! i have a brand new hp pavilion.
surprised this just started happening!

--
tom business
Kent Donnelly

Re: computer shuts down for no reason
I had this happen continuously until I removed System Mechanic 7.
I reinstalled windows Vista (Home Premium) again and then system mechanic
worked but the IOLO firewall is now unable to initialize.
So much incompatible software troubles!
My 1 year old HP all in one Datafax software had to be reinstalled as well
as it was not compatible.Hp has the newer version that works-but be careful
because you will now have both old and new drivers. One for hp4200 printer
and one for hp4200 fax. There seems to be a huge problem with Slow speed- my
nearly 2 GHZ processor often has 100 percent capacity overloads. The printer
takes 20 minutes to print an image and I could go on and on with so much
more about this software but that would take a long long time to do.
"tom business" <tom.business.2y8an2@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> been having the same issue as well! i have a brand new hp pavilion.
> surprised this just started happening!
>

> --
> tom business

Carlos P.

RE: computer shuts down for no reason
I found out that my problem was a hardware one. I took my HP desktop in and
found out that my power supply had a short. Since replacing the defective
part i have had no more problems. I am glad that it was a relatively simple
fix.

"Holly H" wrote:

> I have windows vista basic edition in a brand new HP it with out warning
> shuts down. I have been in the middle of very important things and it just
> closes down. Any help ideas would be appreciated.

f/fgeorge

Re: computer shuts down for no reason
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 21:58:00 -0700, Carlos P.
<CarlosP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I found out that my problem was a hardware one. I took my HP desktop in and
>found out that my power supply had a short. Since replacing the defective
>part i have had no more problems. I am glad that it was a relatively simple
>fix.
>
>"Holly H" wrote:
>
>> I have windows vista basic edition in a brand new HP it with out warning
>> shuts down. I have been in the middle of very important things and it just
>> closes down. Any help ideas would be appreciated.

Think heat, all new cpus have a thermal shutoff or slowdown built in.
Get a program like Everest or check your start, programs for something
that might tell you the cpu temp. Get yourself a can of compressed air
and GENTLY blow into the fans, with the pc shutdown.