CompletePC to DVD fails to verify....

nrms

CompletePC to DVD fails to verify....
Writing to DL disc (8GB) capacity. The backup finishes writing but then
fails partway through the verify process. It always fails with an error
message blaming the disc (maybe scratched or some other problem). But these
are top quality Verbatim DL discs and have never failed in ANY other DVD
writing program on the same hardware. Vista has destroyed two in a row (and
they're not cheap discs)

So what's going on?

NigelS

Bob J

RE: CompletePC to DVD fails to verify....
Which backup program are you using the inbuilt MS or a 3rd party, ie Nero?
--
Regards
Bob J

"nrms" wrote:

> Writing to DL disc (8GB) capacity. The backup finishes writing but then
> fails partway through the verify process. It always fails with an error
> message blaming the disc (maybe scratched or some other problem). But these
> are top quality Verbatim DL discs and have never failed in ANY other DVD
> writing program on the same hardware. Vista has destroyed two in a row (and
> they're not cheap discs)
>
> So what's going on?
>
> NigelS

nrms

RE: CompletePC to DVD fails to verify....
CompletePC Backup (ie the builtin Microsoft one). I have successfully made &
restored backups from DL DVD made on this hardware previously, but not since
I clean rebuilt the platform last week. It could of course be the discs but
I doubt it. I also have Norton Ghost 12.0 installed so I will try that and
see if that completes and verifies a backup to DL DVD.

NigelS

"Bob J" wrote:

> Which backup program are you using the inbuilt MS or a 3rd party, ie Nero?
> --
> Regards
> Bob J
> If advise given from anyone, solves problem or not, or if solved from
> another source,post back & let us know.
> Then we all benefit.
>

> "nrms" wrote:
>
> > Writing to DL disc (8GB) capacity. The backup finishes writing but then
> > fails partway through the verify process. It always fails with an error
> > message blaming the disc (maybe scratched or some other problem). But these
> > are top quality Verbatim DL discs and have never failed in ANY other DVD
> > writing program on the same hardware. Vista has destroyed two in a row (and
> > they're not cheap discs)
> >
> > So what's going on?
> >
> > NigelS

Bob J

RE: CompletePC to DVD fails to verify....

--
Regards
Bob J
If advise given from anyone, solves problem or not, or if solved from
another source,post back & let us know.
Then we all benefit.

MS programs that are installed with the OS (Vista) are generally basic in
their structure and I think you will find that a 3rd party program will do a
better job, faster and with with few if any problems, personally I rarely use
installed MS programs for copying, burning, etc.

This is a personal opinion, the choice of what you use is up to you.

> "Bob J" wrote:
>
> > Which backup program are you using the inbuilt MS or a 3rd party, ie Nero?
> > --
> > Regards
> > Bob J
> > If advise given from anyone, solves problem or not, or if solved from
> > another source,post back & let us know.
> > Then we all benefit.
> >

> > "nrms" wrote:
> >
> > > Writing to DL disc (8GB) capacity. The backup finishes writing but then
> > > fails partway through the verify process. It always fails with an error
> > > message blaming the disc (maybe scratched or some other problem). But these
> > > are top quality Verbatim DL discs and have never failed in ANY other DVD
> > > writing program on the same hardware. Vista has destroyed two in a row (and
> > > they're not cheap discs)
> > >
> > > So what's going on?
> > >
> > > NigelS

Eduardo Laureano [MSFT]

Re: CompletePC to DVD fails to verify....
The burn mechanism that Windows Complete PC Backup uses is UDF and should
work the same way as burning content from explorer. The only difference
might be that you are filling up the disc when creating backups, whereas
copying media content you might just be using partial capacity.

Eduardo

"Bob J" <BobJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> --
> Regards
> Bob J
> If advise given from anyone, solves problem or not, or if solved from
> another source,post back & let us know.
> Then we all benefit.
>
> MS programs that are installed with the OS (Vista) are generally basic in
> their structure and I think you will find that a 3rd party program will do
> better job, faster and with with few if any problems, personally I rarely
> use
> installed MS programs for copying, burning, etc.
>
> This is a personal opinion, the choice of what you use is up to you.
>>
>> "Bob J" wrote:
>>
>> > Which backup program are you using the inbuilt MS or a 3rd party, ie
>> > Nero?
>> > --
>> > Regards
>> > Bob J
>> > If advise given from anyone, solves problem or not, or if solved from
>> > another source,post back & let us know.
>> > Then we all benefit.

Alex HB

RE: CompletePC to DVD fails to verify....
I'm also having the same problem. CompletePC Backup fails because it fails to
verify the DVD. Not a DVD writer or media issue since I've burned other discs
fine.

I guess I should resign to accepting that the backup software built into
Vista is a cheap piece of garbage but I don't feel we should have to spend so
much money on third-party software at the price that MS is charging for Vista!

"nrms" wrote:

> Writing to DL disc (8GB) capacity. The backup finishes writing but then
> fails partway through the verify process. It always fails with an error
> message blaming the disc (maybe scratched or some other problem). But these
> are top quality Verbatim DL discs and have never failed in ANY other DVD
> writing program on the same hardware. Vista has destroyed two in a row (and
> they're not cheap discs)
>
> So what's going on?
>
> NigelS

peteralbright

Re: CompletePC to DVD fails to verify....

I bought two identical HP systems from Costco. One had a DVD burner that
consistantly failed verify, but passed PC-Tools testing. When I switched
burners, the problem stayed with the drive. I am getting a new drive.

I think that the verify is more thorough, and most other burns may
tollerate a small error.

--
peteralbright