Complete PC Backup

Jim Marcum

Complete PC Backup
I have tried unsuccessfully to make a complete backup. I have two new
machines from MPC, my own running Vista Ultimate and another Vista Business.
I installed the standard software, Office 2007, etc. Then I tried to make a
backup image (Complete) but when it got to the end, it said "The Backup
Failed." "The parameter is incorrect 0X80070057." The first backup was to a
second internal HD and the other to DVDs. In both cases, it failed. I have no
idea what that code meant, but I really need to make the image. Anyone know
what is happening here???

Thanks,
Jim Marcum
Bob J

RE: Complete PC Backup
Are you using MS Backup or 3rd party program ie. Nero, Norton Ghost?

MS programs that are installed with the OS (Vista) are generally basic in
their structure and I think you will find that a 3rd party program will do a
better job, faster and with with few if any problems, personally I rarely use
installed MS programs for copying, burning, etc.

This is a personal opinion, the choice is yours.
--
Regards
Bob J

"Jim Marcum" wrote:

> I have tried unsuccessfully to make a complete backup. I have two new
> machines from MPC, my own running Vista Ultimate and another Vista Business.
> I installed the standard software, Office 2007, etc. Then I tried to make a
> backup image (Complete) but when it got to the end, it said "The Backup
> Failed." "The parameter is incorrect 0X80070057." The first backup was to a
> second internal HD and the other to DVDs. In both cases, it failed. I have no
> idea what that code meant, but I really need to make the image. Anyone know
> what is happening here???
>
> Thanks,
> Jim Marcum

Jim Szatkowski, PE, NSPE

RE: Complete PC Backup
I have the exact same problem with a machine running Vista Business. Doing a
complete PC Backup - it has failed three times with the same error code - on
the 4th DVD-RW."The Backup Failed." "The parameter is incorrect 0X80070057" .
Any help appreciated!! Reply to jim.szatkowski @ ipels.idaho.gov (without
spaces).
--
Jim Szatkowski, PE, NSPE
State of Idaho, DPW

"Jim Marcum" wrote:

> I have tried unsuccessfully to make a complete backup. I have two new
> machines from MPC, my own running Vista Ultimate and another Vista Business.
> I installed the standard software, Office 2007, etc. Then I tried to make a
> backup image (Complete) but when it got to the end, it said "The Backup
> Failed." "The parameter is incorrect 0X80070057." The first backup was to a
> second internal HD and the other to DVDs. In both cases, it failed. I have no
> idea what that code meant, but I really need to make the image. Anyone know
> what is happening here???
>
> Thanks,
> Jim Marcum

Jim Marcum

RE: Complete PC Backup
I used the backup that was installed on Vista. I had tried using Norton
Ghost 2003, but that took five hours and the image was bad. The Vista image
was faster, but failed at the end. The hype sounded great for MS backup that
became part of Vista and promised to make an image. It failed and I am at a
loss to find a good product besides Ghost. Thanks for the feedback, in any
case. Our OEM (MPC) also couldn't figure out what was happening and after
several weeks, they have provided no answer.

Thanks,

Jim Marcum

"Bob J" wrote:

> Are you using MS Backup or 3rd party program ie. Nero, Norton Ghost?
>
> MS programs that are installed with the OS (Vista) are generally basic in
> their structure and I think you will find that a 3rd party program will do a
> better job, faster and with with few if any problems, personally I rarely use
> installed MS programs for copying, burning, etc.
>
> This is a personal opinion, the choice is yours.
> --
> Regards
> Bob J
> If advise given from anyone, solves problem or not, or if solved from
> another source,post back & let us know.
> Then we all benefit.
>

> "Jim Marcum" wrote:
>
> > I have tried unsuccessfully to make a complete backup. I have two new
> > machines from MPC, my own running Vista Ultimate and another Vista Business.
> > I installed the standard software, Office 2007, etc. Then I tried to make a
> > backup image (Complete) but when it got to the end, it said "The Backup
> > Failed." "The parameter is incorrect 0X80070057." The first backup was to a
> > second internal HD and the other to DVDs. In both cases, it failed. I have no
> > idea what that code meant, but I really need to make the image. Anyone know
> > what is happening here???
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jim Marcum

GTS

Re: Complete PC Backup
A " good product besides Ghost" is Acronis True Image. Like many others
here, I have found it to work reliably with Vista.
--

"Jim Marcum" <JimMarcum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I used the backup that was installed on Vista. I had tried using Norton
> Ghost 2003, but that took five hours and the image was bad. The Vista
> image
> was faster, but failed at the end. The hype sounded great for MS backup
> that
> became part of Vista and promised to make an image. It failed and I am at
> loss to find a good product besides Ghost. Thanks for the feedback, in
> any
> case. Our OEM (MPC) also couldn't figure out what was happening and after
> several weeks, they have provided no answer.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim Marcum
>

> "Bob J" wrote:
>
>> Are you using MS Backup or 3rd party program ie. Nero, Norton Ghost?
>>
>> MS programs that are installed with the OS (Vista) are generally basic in
>> their structure and I think you will find that a 3rd party program will
>> do a
>> better job, faster and with with few if any problems, personally I rarely
>> use
>> installed MS programs for copying, burning, etc.
>>
>> This is a personal opinion, the choice is yours.
>> --
>> Regards
>> Bob J
>> If advise given from anyone, solves problem or not, or if solved from
>> another source,post back & let us know.
>> Then we all benefit.
>>

>> "Jim Marcum" wrote:
>>
>> > I have tried unsuccessfully to make a complete backup. I have two new
>> > machines from MPC, my own running Vista Ultimate and another Vista
>> > Business.
>> > I installed the standard software, Office 2007, etc. Then I tried to
>> > make a
>> > backup image (Complete) but when it got to the end, it said "The Backup
>> > Failed." "The parameter is incorrect 0X80070057." The first backup was
>> > to a
>> > second internal HD and the other to DVDs. In both cases, it failed. I
>> > have no
>> > idea what that code meant, but I really need to make the image. Anyone
>> > know
>> > what is happening here???
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Jim Marcum

Carl G

Re: Complete PC Backup
I use Acronis True Image 10.0 and it does a great job .

Carl G

"Jim Szatkowski, PE, NSPE" <JimSzatkowskiPENSPE@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:8922B787-0E09-42B4-82B1-48DE1406483D@microsoft.com...
>I have the exact same problem with a machine running Vista Business. Doing
> complete PC Backup - it has failed three times with the same error code -
> on
> the 4th DVD-RW."The Backup Failed." "The parameter is incorrect
> 0X80070057" .
> Any help appreciated!! Reply to jim.szatkowski @ ipels.idaho.gov
> (without
> spaces).
> --
> Jim Szatkowski, PE, NSPE
> State of Idaho, DPW
>

> "Jim Marcum" wrote:
>
>> I have tried unsuccessfully to make a complete backup. I have two new
>> machines from MPC, my own running Vista Ultimate and another Vista
>> Business.
>> I installed the standard software, Office 2007, etc. Then I tried to make
>> backup image (Complete) but when it got to the end, it said "The Backup
>> Failed." "The parameter is incorrect 0X80070057." The first backup was to
>> second internal HD and the other to DVDs. In both cases, it failed. I
>> have no
>> idea what that code meant, but I really need to make the image. Anyone
>> know
>> what is happening here???
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jim Marcum

Chris Blunt

Re: Complete PC Backup
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 18:25:34 -0500, "Carl G" <cgerving@msnDOTcom>
wrote:

>I use Acronis True Image 10.0 and it does a great job .
>
>Carl G

I'll second that recommendation for Acronis True Image.

I downloaded the evaluation of version of True Image 11.0 only last
week and used it to make an image backup of my drive. By an incredible
coincidence, my Nvidia RAID disk somehow got corrupted a couple of
days ago and after repairing it I was able to restore the drive from
that backup. Acronis saved my life there and they'll definitely be
receiving an order from me for the full version.

The only surprise I had was that although the backup took just under
an hour to write to a USB external hard drive, the restore took about
8 hours to complete. I'm not sure why that should be.

Chris

>"Jim Szatkowski, PE, NSPE" <JimSzatkowskiPENSPE@discussions.microsoft.com>
>wrote in message news:8922B787-0E09-42B4-82B1-48DE1406483D@microsoft.com...
>>I have the exact same problem with a machine running Vista Business. Doing
>> complete PC Backup - it has failed three times with the same error code -
>> on
>> the 4th DVD-RW."The Backup Failed." "The parameter is incorrect
>> 0X80070057" .
>> Any help appreciated!! Reply to jim.szatkowski @ ipels.idaho.gov
>> (without
>> spaces).
>> --
>> Jim Szatkowski, PE, NSPE
>> State of Idaho, DPW
>>

>> "Jim Marcum" wrote:
>>
>>> I have tried unsuccessfully to make a complete backup. I have two new
>>> machines from MPC, my own running Vista Ultimate and another Vista
>>> Business.
>>> I installed the standard software, Office 2007, etc. Then I tried to make
>>> backup image (Complete) but when it got to the end, it said "The Backup
>>> Failed." "The parameter is incorrect 0X80070057." The first backup was to
>>> second internal HD and the other to DVDs. In both cases, it failed. I
>>> have no
>>> idea what that code meant, but I really need to make the image. Anyone
>>> know
>>> what is happening here???
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jim Marcum

Jim Szatkowski, PE, NSPE

RE: Complete PC Backup
I found an answer that worked in my case:
https://blogs.technet.com/filecab/pa...-problems.aspx

You got to pick at least one file in the individual file back up before
selecting the Complete PC Backup - else it fails with 0x80070057 every time.

FYI
Jim
--
Jim Szatkowski, PE, NSPE
State of Idaho, DPW

"Jim Marcum" wrote:

> I have tried unsuccessfully to make a complete backup. I have two new
> machines from MPC, my own running Vista Ultimate and another Vista Business.
> I installed the standard software, Office 2007, etc. Then I tried to make a
> backup image (Complete) but when it got to the end, it said "The Backup
> Failed." "The parameter is incorrect 0X80070057." The first backup was to a
> second internal HD and the other to DVDs. In both cases, it failed. I have no
> idea what that code meant, but I really need to make the image. Anyone know
> what is happening here???
>
> Thanks,
> Jim Marcum

ecjb1969

Re: Complete PC Backup

I use System Rescue CD on a bootable flash drive and use partimage,
ntfsclone, dd, dd_rescue, and other Linux tools for hard drive images.
NTFSClone in particular is useful for creating images of Windows
partitions. Partimage works similarly, but I find ntfsclone piped
through gzip to be faster.

FWIW, the backup feature in Windows 7 seems to be similarly broken.

- Eric.

--
ecjb1969