All Desktop Icons Freeze but Start menu /Taskbar etc all work as u

Purpleman

All Desktop Icons Freeze but Start menu /Taskbar etc all work as u
I`ve got a weird problem that keeps happening. Without any errors or warning,
all of my Desktop Icons become frozen. I cannot activate any of them. If I
have any windows open in the Taskbar or programmes running in the System tray
I can left/right click on any of them and they all work
fine(Programmes/Window Explorer/IE7 etc). I can access the Start menu and
activate whatever as usual. The only thing on the desktop that does NOT
freeze is the Vista Sidebar/Gadgets.
I`m using Vista Home edition on a new Fijitsu/Siemens PC(Not Laptop). Anyone
had this problem. I keep everything up to date etc.

Thanks.
Spirit

Re: All Desktop Icons Freeze but Start menu /Taskbar etc all work as u
Check System Maker for newer drivers, especially Video and any Hard Disk
Drivers or
utilities. After that, if problem still occurs I would suspect memory.

"Purpleman" <Purpleman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I`ve got a weird problem that keeps happening. Without any errors or
> warning,
> all of my Desktop Icons become frozen. I cannot activate any of them. If I
> have any windows open in the Taskbar or programmes running in the System
> tray
> I can left/right click on any of them and they all work
> fine(Programmes/Window Explorer/IE7 etc). I can access the Start menu and
> activate whatever as usual. The only thing on the desktop that does NOT
> freeze is the Vista Sidebar/Gadgets.
> I`m using Vista Home edition on a new Fijitsu/Siemens PC(Not Laptop).
> Anyone
> had this problem. I keep everything up to date etc.
>
> Thanks.

dean-dean

Re: All Desktop Icons Freeze but Start menu /Taskbar etc all work as u
You could try this:

The Windows desktop may stop updating correctly after a Windows Vista-based
computer has been running for an extended period of time:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=932406

If this problem happens again, try this: press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your
keyboard, and open Task Manager. On the Processes tab of Task Manager, if
explorer.exe is running, right-click on it and Choose End Process. If it
doesn't restart automatically, switch to the Applications tab, and from the
File menu, choose New Task. Type explorer.exe in the Run box, and press
Enter on your keyboard.

If explorer.exe is not running on the Processes tab, switch to the
Applications tab, and from the File menu, choose New Task. Type
explorer.exe in the Run box, and press Enter on your keyboard.

"Purpleman" <Purpleman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I`ve got a weird problem that keeps happening. Without any errors or
> warning,
> all of my Desktop Icons become frozen. I cannot activate any of them. If I
> have any windows open in the Taskbar or programmes running in the System
> tray
> I can left/right click on any of them and they all work
> fine(Programmes/Window Explorer/IE7 etc). I can access the Start menu and
> activate whatever as usual. The only thing on the desktop that does NOT
> freeze is the Vista Sidebar/Gadgets.
> I`m using Vista Home edition on a new Fijitsu/Siemens PC(Not Laptop).
> Anyone
> had this problem. I keep everything up to date etc.
>
> Thanks.

Purpleman

Re: All Desktop Icons Freeze but Start menu /Taskbar etc all work
Thanks for you suggestions. Sorry I couldn`t reply sooner. I`d already
installed the Microsoft update, which didn`t work. When I close down Explorer
via the Task manager and then do the new task option, explorer doesn`t start.
The screen just goes black then and I can`t see anything on the desktop. The
only thing that I can do is to re-boot my PC.
Any more idea`s please?. It`s not happening as often as before, but is still
pretty frequent.
Thanks.