Slow Shutdown in new windows vista home basic

willow

Slow Shutdown in new windows vista home basic
Have new computer with vista home basin pre installed.

Have added Office and a few other programs

also Zonealarm Security s\Suite.

Shut down is extremely slow.

Does any one have any ideas
Generator

Re: Slow Shutdown in new windows vista home basic

remove zonealarm,, thats causing the slow shutdown ..get a different
security suite or use a good anti virus AGV free and a firewall on
router and in ie 7 ,,many of these security suites like zonealarm and
norton intenet security are bloatware..and use alot of resourses and
slows the pc down.

read this thread

'Re: Zone Alarm for Vista'
(http://forums.zonelabs.com/rss/messa...ssage.id=71001)

--
Generator
willow

Re: Slow Shutdown in new windows vista home basic
Not inclined to do that as computer works well while on and this application
recommended by my bank and have used earlier versions with xp for quite a
while.
Does any one else have any other ideas.

Read the thread suggested and my zonealarm set up correctly.

"Generator" wrote:

> remove zonealarm,, thats causing the slow shutdown ..get a different
> security suite or use a good anti virus AGV free and a firewall on
> router and in ie 7 ,,many of these security suites like zonealarm and
> norton intenet security are bloatware..and use alot of resourses and
> slows the pc down.
>

> read this thread
>

> 'Re: Zone Alarm for Vista'
> (http://forums.zonelabs.com/rss/messa...ssage.id=71001)
>

> --
> Generator

Generator

Re: Slow Shutdown in new windows vista home basic

read this thread please 'ZoneAlarm Crashes and Slow Boot (Manifest Tech
Blog)'
(http://manifest-tech.com/blog/2007/0...d_slow_boo.php)
i am affraid if you want your system to shut down faster and run
faster.. remove zonealarm it causes 20 to 30 secs even more time
booting up and i would guess the same shuting down ..this is a fact
highlighted in this link,, i am surprised a bank would recommend
it..they would reccomend a £10,000 bank loan . if you signed on the
dotted line. its best to ask the hardcore users that use zonealarm and
norton ,,there feedback it tried and tested. this app is like norton
bloatware all hidden instances running in the background.. that is using
time to startup and close down ..i close down within 5- 8 secs and
startup is barley 10 to 15 secs.

--
Generator
David

Generator wrote:
> ..i close down within 5- 8 secs and
> startup is barley 10 to 15 secs.

are you claiming you have a PC that can cold boot Vista in 15 seconds?
Generator

Re: Slow Shutdown in new windows vista home basic

when i turn my pc on ,,from the time the window screen appears ,,it
takes about 15 seconds thats it..and shutdown is super fast about 10
secs abit more than i said..i would not lie about this,,cold boot i
would say about is about 30 secs,, thats it..i actually timed it ..this
is using vista ultimate..in xp is slower but still quiet fast xp about
40 secs cold boot and about 15 to 20 secs shutdown,,i am running a dual
boot on 2 hard drives and cpu is athlon 64 x2 6000 with 2 gig of ram
..this as always been the case i dont run bloatware,, and only anti
virus starts in taskbar.. i dont have msn messinger yahoo messinger
Dvix ,,real player quicktime etc ... or any other apps in startup,,i
have tweaked xp and vista quite alot to get a fast startup and
shutdown..i am sure theres alot of users systems that do the same on
here. theres plenty of tips to make xp and vista start faster.

--
Generator
anandk

Re: Slow Shutdown in new windows vista home basic
see if something here helps you :
How To Make Vista Start, Run and Shutdown Faster
http://www.winvistaclub.com/t1.html
--
www.WinVistaClub.com
Microsoft MVP 2007 Awardee.

"Generator" wrote:

> when i turn my pc on ,,from the time the window screen appears ,,it
> takes about 15 seconds thats it..and shutdown is super fast about 10
> secs abit more than i said..i would not lie about this,,cold boot i
> would say about is about 30 secs,, thats it..i actually timed it ..this
> is using vista ultimate..in xp is slower but still quiet fast xp about
> 40 secs cold boot and about 15 to 20 secs shutdown,,i am running a dual
> boot on 2 hard drives and cpu is athlon 64 x2 6000 with 2 gig of ram
> ..this as always been the case i dont run bloatware,, and only anti
> virus starts in taskbar.. i dont have msn messinger yahoo messinger
> Dvix ,,real player quicktime etc ... or any other apps in startup,,i
> have tweaked xp and vista quite alot to get a fast startup and
> shutdown..i am sure theres alot of users systems that do the same on
> here. theres plenty of tips to make xp and vista start faster.
>

> --
> Generator

willow

Re: Slow Shutdown in new windows vista home basic
The problem was just some sort of hang. I haven't changed anything. while
shutting down my son pressed the dvd disc open button and the computer shut
down straight away and has done so since in a reasonable time (for me anyway)
Thankyou to anandk for the referral to the Winvista club as i will ge there
if i have any other problems.