Re: Windows Vista Update - Screen blank missing text

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Windows Vista Update - Screen blank missing text
(cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)
>I have recently developed this problem when I run windows update. When the
> screen launches all text is missing. Also for some reason the it has
> switched to not automatically download and install any updates.
>
> Other users in different forums have also encoutered this issue
> http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=775603

That discussion mentions a special web app?
If the HTML(?) is cached you can use the TIF Viewer to find the URL.
In fact, if it is cached you could then drag it to an open Notepad window
as an alternative to View Source (which I imagine to be functionality that
a web app would not provide.) (Alternatively, use FiddlerTool or netcap, etc.)

What happens if you try using IE7 instead?
If you do that you can use View Source to check if the text is really missing.
If the URL is different that could be significant too.

BTW if this is really about a Vista only feature you may get better response
by posting in a Vista specific newsgroup. Cross-posting to Vista now...

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Paul

Re: Windows Vista Update - Screen blank missing text
I am not use windows update on the web. This is strictly through the control
panel application, "Windows Update". Windows Vista is installed with IE 7,
so no issue there. Thanks for the cross post.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> (cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)
> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have recently developed this problem when I run windows update. When the
> > screen launches all text is missing. Also for some reason the it has
> > switched to not automatically download and install any updates.
> >
> > Other users in different forums have also encoutered this issue
> > http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=775603

> That discussion mentions a special web app?
> If the HTML(?) is cached you can use the TIF Viewer to find the URL.
> In fact, if it is cached you could then drag it to an open Notepad window
> as an alternative to View Source (which I imagine to be functionality that
> a web app would not provide.) (Alternatively, use FiddlerTool or netcap, etc.)
>
> What happens if you try using IE7 instead?
> If you do that you can use View Source to check if the text is really missing.
> If the URL is different that could be significant too.
>
> BTW if this is really about a Vista only feature you may get better response
> by posting in a Vista specific newsgroup. Cross-posting to Vista now...
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

dean-dean

Re: Windows Vista Update - Screen blank missing text
Try this. Right-click Computer and choose Manage. Open Services in the
right-hand pane. Double-click on SL UI Notification Service. By default,
it's Start-up type is Manual. If it's not set that way, change it. Another
service, Software Licensing, should be set to Automatic. If Software
Licensing is not running, click on Start.

>I am not use windows update on the web. This is strictly through the
>control
> panel application, "Windows Update". Windows Vista is installed with IE
> 7,
> so no issue there. Thanks for the cross post.
>
> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>
>> (cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)
>> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have recently developed this problem when I run windows update. When
>> >the
>> > screen launches all text is missing. Also for some reason the it has
>> > switched to not automatically download and install any updates.
>> >
>> > Other users in different forums have also encoutered this issue
>> > http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=775603

>> That discussion mentions a special web app?
>> If the HTML(?) is cached you can use the TIF Viewer to find the URL.
>> In fact, if it is cached you could then drag it to an open Notepad window
>> as an alternative to View Source (which I imagine to be functionality
>> that
>> a web app would not provide.) (Alternatively, use FiddlerTool or
>> netcap, etc.)
>>
>> What happens if you try using IE7 instead?
>> If you do that you can use View Source to check if the text is really
>> missing.
>> If the URL is different that could be significant too.
>>
>> BTW if this is really about a Vista only feature you may get better
>> response
>> by posting in a Vista specific newsgroup. Cross-posting to Vista now...
>>

>> HTH
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---

Paul

Re: Windows Vista Update - Screen blank missing text
Thanks for the suggestion, the SL UI service was set to manual. I changed it
to automatic. The software licensing was set to automatic. I restart ed the
pc and its still not working.....missing text. I cannot set automatic
downloading.

"dean-dean" wrote:

> Try this. Right-click Computer and choose Manage. Open Services in the
> right-hand pane. Double-click on SL UI Notification Service. By default,
> it's Start-up type is Manual. If it's not set that way, change it. Another
> service, Software Licensing, should be set to Automatic. If Software
> Licensing is not running, click on Start.
>
> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am not use windows update on the web. This is strictly through the
> >control
> > panel application, "Windows Update". Windows Vista is installed with IE
> > 7,
> > so no issue there. Thanks for the cross post.
> >
> > "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
> >
> >> (cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)
> >> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> That discussion mentions a special web app?
> >> If the HTML(?) is cached you can use the TIF Viewer to find the URL.
> >> In fact, if it is cached you could then drag it to an open Notepad window
> >> as an alternative to View Source (which I imagine to be functionality
> >> that
> >> a web app would not provide.) (Alternatively, use FiddlerTool or
> >> netcap, etc.)
> >>
> >> What happens if you try using IE7 instead?
> >> If you do that you can use View Source to check if the text is really
> >> missing.
> >> If the URL is different that could be significant too.
> >>
> >> BTW if this is really about a Vista only feature you may get better
> >> response
> >> by posting in a Vista specific newsgroup. Cross-posting to Vista now...
> >>

> >> HTH
> >>
> >> Robert Aldwinckle
> >> ---

dean-dean

Re: Windows Vista Update - Screen blank missing text
Sorry, but you may have misunderstood. The SL UI service should be set to
Manual. Set that service to Manual, and set Software Licensing to Automatic,
if it's not that already, and then restart your computer.

Your problem has been cropping up with some regularity by other posters in
the newsgroups for Vista, but unfortunately there's no silver bullet for
fixing this, that I'm aware of. You could try this, after your computer has
restarted:

Right-click Command Prompt (in Start Menu\Programs\Accessories) and choose
Run as Administrator. Type (or Copy and Paste) the following commands,
pressing Enter after each one (you should get a pop-up message after each
command):

regsvr32 wuapi.dll

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

regsvr32 wups.dll

regsvr32 wups2.dll

regsvr32 wuwebv.dll

regsvr32 wucltux.dll

Close Command Prompt, and try Windows Update again.

> Thanks for the suggestion, the SL UI service was set to manual. I changed
> it
> to automatic. The software licensing was set to automatic. I restart ed
> the
> pc and its still not working.....missing text. I cannot set automatic
> downloading.
>
> "dean-dean" wrote:
>
>> Try this. Right-click Computer and choose Manage. Open Services in the
>> right-hand pane. Double-click on SL UI Notification Service. By
>> default,
>> it's Start-up type is Manual. If it's not set that way, change it.
>> Another
>> service, Software Licensing, should be set to Automatic. If Software
>> Licensing is not running, click on Start.
>>
>> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am not use windows update on the web. This is strictly through the
>> >control
>> > panel application, "Windows Update". Windows Vista is installed with
>> > IE
>> > 7,
>> > so no issue there. Thanks for the cross post.

Paul

Re: Windows Vista Update - Screen blank missing text
I restored the SL UI service back to manual start. Restarted. I opend a
command prompt as admin, regsvr32 all dll files (success for all). I ran
windows update and still no text. Unfortunately this did not work.

I posted some images of the screens on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10805483@N08/?saved=1

Any other ideas would be deeply appreciated.

"dean-dean" wrote:

> Sorry, but you may have misunderstood. The SL UI service should be set to
> Manual. Set that service to Manual, and set Software Licensing to Automatic,
> if it's not that already, and then restart your computer.
>
> Your problem has been cropping up with some regularity by other posters in
> the newsgroups for Vista, but unfortunately there's no silver bullet for
> fixing this, that I'm aware of. You could try this, after your computer has
> restarted:
>
> Right-click Command Prompt (in Start Menu\Programs\Accessories) and choose
> Run as Administrator. Type (or Copy and Paste) the following commands,
> pressing Enter after each one (you should get a pop-up message after each
> command):
>
> regsvr32 wuapi.dll
>
> regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
>
> regsvr32 wups.dll
>
> regsvr32 wups2.dll
>
> regsvr32 wuwebv.dll
>
> regsvr32 wucltux.dll
>
> Close Command Prompt, and try Windows Update again.
>

> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the suggestion, the SL UI service was set to manual. I changed
> > it
> > to automatic. The software licensing was set to automatic. I restart ed
> > the
> > pc and its still not working.....missing text. I cannot set automatic
> > downloading.
> >
> > "dean-dean" wrote:
> >
> >> Try this. Right-click Computer and choose Manage. Open Services in the
> >> right-hand pane. Double-click on SL UI Notification Service. By
> >> default,
> >> it's Start-up type is Manual. If it's not set that way, change it.
> >> Another
> >> service, Software Licensing, should be set to Automatic. If Software
> >> Licensing is not running, click on Start.

Paul

Re: Windows Vista Update - Screen blank missing text
Here is some information from today's entry in the WindowsUpdate.log file
c:\windows

"2007-07-30 17:27:11:159 1440 7a0 Misc =========== Logging initialized
(build: 7.0.6000.374, tz: -0400) ===========
2007-07-30 17:27:11:249 1440 7a0 Misc = Process:
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe
2007-07-30 17:27:11:422 1440 7a0 Misc = Module:
c:\windows\system32\wuaueng.dll
2007-07-30 17:27:11:159 1440 7a0 Service *************
2007-07-30 17:27:11:765 1440 7a0 Service ** START ** Service: Service startup
2007-07-30 17:27:11:958 1440 7a0 Service *********
2007-07-30 17:27:13:426 1440 7a0 Agent * WU client version 7.0.6000.374
2007-07-30 17:27:13:530 1440 7a0 Agent * Base directory:
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
2007-07-30 17:27:13:760 1440 7a0 Agent * Access type: No proxy
2007-07-30 17:27:13:868 1440 7a0 Agent * Network state: Connected
2007-07-30 17:27:59:508 1440 7a0 Agent *********** Agent: Initializing
Windows Update Agent ***********
2007-07-30 17:27:59:508 1440 7a0 Agent *********** Agent: Initializing
global settings cache ***********
2007-07-30 17:27:59:508 1440 7a0 Agent * WSUS server: <NULL>
2007-07-30 17:27:59:508 1440 7a0 Agent * WSUS status server: <NULL>
2007-07-30 17:27:59:508 1440 7a0 Agent * Target group: (Unassigned
Computers)
2007-07-30 17:27:59:508 1440 7a0 Agent * Windows Update access disabled: No
2007-07-30 17:28:04:054 1440 7a0 DnldMgr Download manager restoring 0
downloads
2007-07-30 17:28:05:318 1440 7a0 AU ########### AU: Initializing Automatic
Updates ###########
2007-07-30 17:28:05:337 1440 7a0 AU AU setting next detection timeout to
2007-07-30 21:28:05
2007-07-30 17:28:05:338 1440 7a0 AU # Approval type: Pre-install notify
(User preference)
2007-07-30 17:28:05:338 1440 7a0 AU # Auto-install minor updates: No (User
preference)
2007-07-30 17:28:05:399 1440 7a0 AU WARNING: Failed to load a resource
string, will not update install progress in Winlogon shutdown progress
dialog.Updates will be installed nevertheless.
2007-07-30 17:28:05:401 1440 7a0 AU AU finished delayed initialization
2007-07-30 17:28:28:044 1440 7a0 Report *********** Report: Initializing
static reporting data ***********
2007-07-30 17:28:28:044 1440 7a0 Report * OS Version = 6.0.6000.0.0.66304
2007-07-30 17:28:28:044 1440 7a0 Report * OS Product Type = 0x00000003
2007-07-30 17:28:28:246 1440 7a0 Report * Computer Brand = NVIDIA
2007-07-30 17:28:28:246 1440 7a0 Report * Computer Model = AWRDACPI
2007-07-30 17:28:28:253 1440 7a0 Report * Bios Revision = 6.00 PG
2007-07-30 17:28:28:253 1440 7a0 Report * Bios Name = Phoenix - AwardBIOS
v6.00PG
2007-07-30 17:28:28:253 1440 7a0 Report * Bios Release Date =
2003-11-07T00:00:00
2007-07-30 17:28:28:253 1440 7a0 Report * Locale ID = 1033
2007-07-30 17:28:28:342 1440 7a0 AU #############
2007-07-30 17:28:28:342 1440 7a0 AU ## START ## AU: Search for updates
2007-07-30 17:28:28:342 1440 7a0 AU #########
2007-07-30 17:28:28:393 1440 7a0 AU <<## SUBMITTED ## AU: Search for updates
[CallId = {663279A4-44C1-4451-943B-A188D22BF7C2}]
2007-07-30 17:28:28:400 1440 aa8 Agent *************
2007-07-30 17:28:28:400 1440 aa8 Agent ** START ** Agent: Finding updates
[CallerId = AutomaticUpdates]
2007-07-30 17:28:28:401 1440 aa8 Agent *********
2007-07-30 17:28:28:401 1440 aa8 Agent * Online = Yes; Ignore download
priority = No
2007-07-30 17:28:28:401 1440 aa8 Agent * Criteria = "IsInstalled=0 and
DeploymentAction='Installation' or IsPresent=1 and
DeploymentAction='Uninstallation' or IsInstalled=1 and
DeploymentAction='Installation' and RebootRequired=1 or IsInstalled=0 and
DeploymentAction='Uninstallation' and RebootRequired=1"
2007-07-30 17:28:28:401 1440 aa8 Agent * ServiceID =
{9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}
2007-07-30 17:28:28:401 1440 aa8 Setup Checking for agent SelfUpdate
2007-07-30 17:28:28:436 1440 aa8 Setup Client version: Core: 7.0.6000.374
Aux: 7.0.6000.374
2007-07-30 17:28:28:687 1440 aa8 Misc Validating signature for
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\wuredir.cab:
2007-07-30 17:28:28:966 1440 aa8 Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
2007-07-30 17:28:45:917 1440 aa8 Misc Validating signature for
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\wuredir.cab:
2007-07-30 17:28:45:930 1440 aa8 Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
2007-07-30 17:28:46:039 1440 aa8 Misc Validating signature for
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate\wuident .cab:
2007-07-30 17:28:46:060 1440 aa8 Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
2007-07-30 17:28:48:416 1440 aa8 Misc Validating signature for
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate\wuident .cab:
2007-07-30 17:28:48:429 1440 aa8 Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
2007-07-30 17:28:48:520 1440 aa8 Misc Validating signature for
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate\wsus3se tup.cab:
2007-07-30 17:28:48:544 1440 aa8 Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
2007-07-30 17:28:48:732 1440 aa8 Misc Validating signature for
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate\wsus3se tup.cab:
2007-07-30 17:28:48:744 1440 aa8 Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
2007-07-30 17:28:48:857 1440 aa8 Setup Determining whether a new setup
handler needs to be downloaded
2007-07-30 17:28:48:882 1440 aa8 Misc Validating signature for
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate\Handler \WuSetupV.exe:
2007-07-30 17:28:48:902 1440 aa8 Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
2007-07-30 17:28:48:902 1440 aa8 Setup SelfUpdate handler update NOT
required: Current version: 7.0.6000.374, required version: 7.0.6000.374
2007-07-30 17:28:48:903 1440 aa8 Setup Evaluating applicability of setup
package "WUClient-SelfUpdate-ActiveX~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~7.0.6000.374"
2007-07-30 17:28:54:490 1440 aa8 Setup Setup package
"WUClient-SelfUpdate-ActiveX~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~7.0.6000.374" is already
installed.
2007-07-30 17:28:54:497 1440 aa8 Setup Evaluating applicability of setup
package "WUClient-SelfUpdate-Aux-TopLevel~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~7.0.6000.374"
2007-07-30 17:28:59:082 1440 aa8 Setup Setup package
"WUClient-SelfUpdate-Aux-TopLevel~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~7.0.6000.374" is
already installed.
2007-07-30 17:28:59:083 1440 aa8 Setup Evaluating applicability of setup
package "WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-TopLevel~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~7.0.6000.374"
2007-07-30 17:29:00:309 1440 aa8 Setup Setup package
"WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-TopLevel~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~7.0.6000.374" is
partially installed and needs to be downloaded.
2007-07-30 17:29:00:312 1440 aa8 Setup SelfUpdate check completed.
SelfUpdate is required.
2007-07-30 17:29:00:313 1440 aa8 Setup Downloading binaries required for
SelfUpdate
2007-07-30 17:29:00:316 1440 aa8 Setup Downloading setup package
"WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-TopLevel~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~7.0.6000.374"
2007-07-30 17:29:00:329 1440 aa8 Setup Downloading setup package
WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-TopLevel~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~7.0.6000.374.cab from
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...SUS3/x86/Vista
2007-07-30 17:29:14:495 1440 aa8 Misc Validating signature for
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate\Package s\WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-TopLevel~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~7.0.6000.374\WUClie nt-SelfUpdate-Core-TopLevel~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~7.0.6000.374.cab:
2007-07-30 17:29:14:533 1440 aa8 Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
2007-07-30 17:29:14:602 1440 aa8 Misc WARNING: Failed to obtain restore
point description from resources with hr:80070716
2007-07-30 17:30:04:363 1440 aa8 Setup Completing partially installed setup
package "WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-TopLevel~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~7.0.6000.374"
2007-07-30 17:30:39:731 1440 aa8 Setup Successfully installed setup package
"WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-TopLevel~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~7.0.6000.374"
2007-07-30 17:30:39:751 1440 aa8 Setup WARNING: Couldn't build update title
for history, error = 0x80070716
2007-07-30 17:30:40:936 1440 aa8 Setup Download of SelfUpdate binaries
succeeded
2007-07-30 17:30:40:936 1440 aa8 Setup Starting agent SelfUpdate
2007-07-30 17:30:40:936 1440 aa8 Setup Skipping installation because no
critical packages are ready to install.
2007-07-30 17:30:55:788 1440 aa8 Misc Validating signature for
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\wuredir.cab:
2007-07-30 17:30:55:800 1440 aa8 Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
2007-07-30 17:30:55:932 1440 aa8 Misc Validating signature for
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\wuredir.cab:
2007-07-30 17:30:55:946 1440 aa8 Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
2007-07-30 17:30:56:014 1440 aa8 PT +++++++++++ PT: Synchronizing server
updates +++++++++++
2007-07-30 17:30:56:014 1440 aa8 PT + ServiceId =
{9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}, Server URL =
https://www.update.microsoft.com/v6/...ce/client.asmx
2007-07-30 17:31:40:178 1440 aa8 PT WARNING: SyncUpdates failure, error =
0x8024400D, soap client error = 7, soap error code = 300, HTTP status code =
200
2007-07-30 17:31:40:178 1440 aa8 PT WARNING: SOAP Fault: 0x00012c
2007-07-30 17:31:40:178 1440 aa8 PT WARNING: faultstring:Fault occurred
2007-07-30 17:31:40:178 1440 aa8 PT WARNING: ErrorCode:ConfigChanged(2)
2007-07-30 17:31:40:178 1440 aa8 PT WARNING: Messagenull)
2007-07-30 17:31:40:178 1440 aa8 PT WARNING:
Method:"http://www.microsoft.com/SoftwareDistribution/Server/ClientWebService/SyncUpdates"
2007-07-30 17:31:40:178 1440 aa8 PT WARNING:
ID:90824cd0-8aeb-452f-ae38-ba903655b6c8
2007-07-30 17:31:40:209 1440 aa8 PT WARNING: PTWarn: Anonymous plug-in
skipped for WU
2007-07-30 17:31:43:203 1440 aa8 Agent * Found 0 updates and 16 categories
in search; evaluated appl. rules of 230 out of 277 deployed entities
2007-07-30 17:31:43:278 1440 aa8 Agent *********
2007-07-30 17:31:43:278 1440 aa8 Agent ** END ** Agent: Finding updates
[CallerId = AutomaticUpdates]
2007-07-30 17:31:43:278 1440 aa8 Agent *************
2007-07-30 17:31:43:280 1440 e50 AU >>## RESUMED ## AU: Search for updates
[CallId = {663279A4-44C1-4451-943B-A188D22BF7C2}]
2007-07-30 17:31:43:281 1440 e50 AU # 0 updates detected
2007-07-30 17:31:43:281 1440 e50 AU #########
2007-07-30 17:31:43:281 1440 e50 AU ## END ## AU: Search for updates
[CallId = {663279A4-44C1-4451-943B-A188D22BF7C2}]
2007-07-30 17:31:43:281 1440 e50 AU #############
2007-07-30 17:31:43:305 1440 e50 AU AU setting next detection timeout to
2007-07-31 19:10:50
2007-07-30 17:31:43:527 1440 aa8 Report REPORT EVENT:
{FD26BDC1-87CD-4AD1-8087-B97ADADAEDDD} 2007-07-30
17:30:39:751-0400 1 190 101 {E2FF4526-97D7-4926-8E75-295DBA39C6BF} 1 0 SelfUpdate Success Content
Install Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following
update: (null)
2007-07-30 17:31:43:527 1440 aa8 Report REPORT EVENT:
{62338F8A-AF60-479B-A7B7-BB8277069F3A} 2007-07-30
17:30:40:935-0400 1 162 101 {61CA813A-7585-442E-A66B-B0D15CE6BDC0} 1 0 SelfUpdate Success Content Download Download succeeded.
2007-07-30 17:31:48:278 1440 aa8 Report REPORT EVENT:
{50C0889C-621D-45FE-B6FF-F04AE5A45A00} 2007-07-30
17:31:43:277-0400 1 147 101 {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} 0 0 AutomaticUpdates Success Software
Synchronization Windows Update Client successfully detected 0 updates.
2007-07-30 17:36:17:533 1440 7a0 Shutdwn user declined update at shutdown
2007-07-30 17:36:17:535 1440 7a0 AU AU initiates service shutdown
2007-07-30 17:36:17:536 1440 7a0 AU ########### AU: Uninitializing
Automatic Updates ###########
2007-07-30 17:36:18:137 1440 7a0 Service *********
2007-07-30 17:36:18:137 1440 7a0 Service ** END ** Service: Service exit
[Exit code = 0x240001]
2007-07-30 17:36:18:137 1440 7a0 Service *************
2007-07-30 17:40:50:995 1500 abc Misc =========== Logging initialized
(build: 7.0.6000.374, tz: -0400) ===========
2007-07-30 17:40:51:026 1500 abc Misc = Process:
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe
2007-07-30 17:40:51:096 1500 abc Misc = Module:
c:\windows\system32\wuaueng.dll
2007-07-30 17:40:50:995 1500 abc Service *************
2007-07-30 17:40:51:770 1500 abc Service ** START ** Service: Service startup
2007-07-30 17:40:52:232 1500 abc Service *********
2007-07-30 17:40:54:084 1500 abc Agent * WU client version 7.0.6000.374
2007-07-30 17:40:54:108 1500 abc Agent * Base directory:
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
2007-07-30 17:40:54:889 1500 abc Agent * Access type: No proxy
2007-07-30 17:40:55:052 1500 abc Agent * Network state: Connected
2007-07-30 17:41:40:862 1500 abc Agent *********** Agent: Initializing
Windows Update Agent ***********
2007-07-30 17:41:40:862 1500 abc Agent *********** Agent: Initializing
global settings cache ***********
2007-07-30 17:41:40:862 1500 abc Agent * WSUS server: <NULL>
2007-07-30 17:41:40:862 1500 abc Agent * WSUS status server: <NULL>
2007-07-30 17:41:40:862 1500 abc Agent * Target group: (Unassigned
Computers)
2007-07-30 17:41:40:862 1500 abc Agent * Windows Update access disabled: No
2007-07-30 17:41:41:178 1500 abc DnldMgr Download manager restoring 0
downloads
2007-07-30 17:41:41:208 1500 abc AU ########### AU: Initializing Automatic
Updates ###########
2007-07-30 17:41:41:219 1500 abc AU # Approval type: Pre-install notify
(User preference)
2007-07-30 17:41:41:219 1500 abc AU # Auto-install minor updates: No (User
preference)
2007-07-30 17:41:41:226 1500 abc AU WARNING: Failed to load a resource
string, will not update install progress in Winlogon shutdown progress
dialog.Updates will be installed nevertheless.
2007-07-30 17:41:41:227 1500 abc AU AU finished delayed initialization
2007-07-30 17:41:47:381 1500 abc Report *********** Report: Initializing
static reporting data ***********
2007-07-30 17:41:47:381 1500 abc Report * OS Version = 6.0.6000.0.0.66304
2007-07-30 17:41:47:381 1500 abc Report * OS Product Type = 0x00000003
2007-07-30 17:41:47:536 1500 abc Report * Computer Brand = NVIDIA
2007-07-30 17:41:47:536 1500 abc Report * Computer Model = AWRDACPI
2007-07-30 17:41:47:543 1500 abc Report * Bios Revision = 6.00 PG
2007-07-30 17:41:47:543 1500 abc Report * Bios Name = Phoenix - AwardBIOS
v6.00PG
2007-07-30 17:41:47:543 1500 abc Report * Bios Release Date =
2003-11-07T00:00:00
2007-07-30 17:41:47:543 1500 abc Report * Locale ID = 1033
2007-07-30 17:45:16:791 1500 abc AU ########### AU: Uninitializing
Automatic Updates ###########
2007-07-30 17:45:19:325 1500 abc Service *********
2007-07-30 17:45:19:325 1500 abc Service ** END ** Service: Service exit
[Exit code = 0x240001]
2007-07-30 17:45:19:325 1500 abc Service *************
2007-07-30 17:46:03:643 1500 83c Misc =========== Logging initialized
(build: 7.0.6000.374, tz: -0400) ===========
2007-07-30 17:46:03:643 1500 83c Misc = Process:
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe
2007-07-30 17:46:03:643 1500 83c Misc = Module:
c:\windows\system32\wuaueng.dll
2007-07-30 17:46:03:643 1500 83c Service *************
2007-07-30 17:46:03:643 1500 83c Service ** START ** Service: Service startup
2007-07-30 17:46:03:643 1500 83c Service *********
2007-07-30 17:46:03:905 1500 83c Agent * WU client version 7.0.6000.374
2007-07-30 17:46:03:905 1500 83c Agent * Base directory:
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
2007-07-30 17:46:03:906 1500 83c Agent * Access type: No proxy
2007-07-30 17:46:03:907 1500 83c Agent * Network state: Connected
2007-07-30 17:46:03:986 1500 92c Agent *********** Agent: Initializing
Windows Update Agent ***********
2007-07-30 17:46:03:990 1500 92c Agent *********** Agent: Initializing
global settings cache ***********
2007-07-30 17:46:03:990 1500 92c Agent * WSUS server: <NULL>
2007-07-30 17:46:03:990 1500 92c Agent * WSUS status server: <NULL>
2007-07-30 17:46:03:990 1500 92c Agent * Target group: (Unassigned
Computers)
2007-07-30 17:46:03:990 1500 92c Agent * Windows Update access disabled: No
2007-07-30 17:46:04:572 1500 92c DnldMgr Download manager restoring 0
downloads
2007-07-30 17:46:04:578 1500 92c AU ########### AU: Initializing Automatic
Updates ###########
2007-07-30 17:46:04:579 1500 92c AU # Approval type: Pre-install notify
(User preference)
2007-07-30 17:46:04:579 1500 92c AU # Auto-install minor updates: No (User
preference)
2007-07-30 17:46:04:587 1500 92c AU WARNING: Failed to load a resource
string, will not update install progress in Winlogon shutdown progress
dialog.Updates will be installed nevertheless.
2007-07-30 17:46:04:588 1500 92c AU AU finished delayed initialization
2007-07-30 17:46:09:392 1500 83c Report *********** Report: Initializing
static reporting data ***********
2007-07-30 17:46:09:392 1500 83c Report * OS Version = 6.0.6000.0.0.66304
2007-07-30 17:46:09:392 1500 83c Report * OS Product Type = 0x00000003
2007-07-30 17:46:09:539 1500 83c Report * Computer Brand = NVIDIA
2007-07-30 17:46:09:540 1500 83c Report * Computer Model = AWRDACPI
2007-07-30 17:46:09:548 1500 83c Report * Bios Revision = 6.00 PG
2007-07-30 17:46:09:548 1500 83c Report * Bios Name = Phoenix - AwardBIOS
v6.00PG
2007-07-30 17:46:09:548 1500 83c Report * Bios Release Date =
2003-11-07T00:00:00
2007-07-30 17:46:09:548 1500 83c Report * Locale ID = 1033
"

"Paul" wrote:

> I restored the SL UI service back to manual start. Restarted. I opend a
> command prompt as admin, regsvr32 all dll files (success for all). I ran
> windows update and still no text. Unfortunately this did not work.
>
> I posted some images of the screens on Flickr
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/10805483@N08/?saved=1
>
> Any other ideas would be deeply appreciated.
>
> "dean-dean" wrote:
>
> > Sorry, but you may have misunderstood. The SL UI service should be set to
> > Manual. Set that service to Manual, and set Software Licensing to Automatic,
> > if it's not that already, and then restart your computer.
> >
> > Your problem has been cropping up with some regularity by other posters in
> > the newsgroups for Vista, but unfortunately there's no silver bullet for
> > fixing this, that I'm aware of. You could try this, after your computer has
> > restarted:
> >
> > Right-click Command Prompt (in Start Menu\Programs\Accessories) and choose
> > Run as Administrator. Type (or Copy and Paste) the following commands,
> > pressing Enter after each one (you should get a pop-up message after each
> > command):
> >
> > regsvr32 wuapi.dll
> >
> > regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
> >
> > regsvr32 wups.dll
> >
> > regsvr32 wups2.dll
> >
> > regsvr32 wuwebv.dll
> >
> > regsvr32 wucltux.dll
> >
> > Close Command Prompt, and try Windows Update again.
> >

> > "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks for the suggestion, the SL UI service was set to manual. I changed
> > > it
> > > to automatic. The software licensing was set to automatic. I restart ed
> > > the
> > > pc and its still not working.....missing text. I cannot set automatic
> > > downloading.

dean-dean

Re: Windows Vista Update - Screen blank missing text
Okay. Thanks for the images. The Security Center one is interesting.
You could try this:

Right-click Command Prompt (in Start Menu\Programs\Accessories) and Run as
Administrator. Type (or Copy and Paste) the following command:

winmgmt /verifyrepository

If the system returns "WMI repository is not consistent", type this command:

winmgmt /salvagerepository

The first time you run this it will fail. It will issue stop commands to
the services causing it to fail (saying, "A stop control has been sent to a
service that other running services are dependent on"). It might take a
couple minutes for the services to shut down. Run the last command again.
You actually may have to run it 3 times before it finally runs and completes
on its own.

>I restored the SL UI service back to manual start. Restarted. I opend a
> command prompt as admin, regsvr32 all dll files (success for all). I ran
> windows update and still no text. Unfortunately this did not work.
>
> I posted some images of the screens on Flickr
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/10805483@N08/?saved=1
>
> Any other ideas would be deeply appreciated.
>
> "dean-dean" wrote:
>
>> Sorry, but you may have misunderstood. The SL UI service should be set
>> Manual. Set that service to Manual, and set Software Licensing to
>> Automatic,
>> if it's not that already, and then restart your computer.
>>
>> Your problem has been cropping up with some regularity by other posters
>> in
>> the newsgroups for Vista, but unfortunately there's no silver bullet for
>> fixing this, that I'm aware of. You could try this, after your computer
>> has
>> restarted:
>>
>> Right-click Command Prompt (in Start Menu\Programs\Accessories) and
>> choose
>> Run as Administrator. Type (or Copy and Paste) the following commands,
>> pressing Enter after each one (you should get a pop-up message after each
>> command):
>>
>> regsvr32 wuapi.dll
>>
>> regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
>>
>> regsvr32 wups.dll
>>
>> regsvr32 wups2.dll
>>
>> regsvr32 wuwebv.dll
>>
>> regsvr32 wucltux.dll
>>
>> Close Command Prompt, and try Windows Update again.
>>

>> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for the suggestion, the SL UI service was set to manual. I
>> > changed
>> > it
>> > to automatic. The software licensing was set to automatic. I restart
>> > ed
>> > the
>> > pc and its still not working.....missing text. I cannot set automatic
>> > downloading.

pelda

Re: Windows Vista Update - Screen blank missing text
I have the very same problem on one of laptops. I have tried that winmgmt
think but it did not help. The other "symptom" nobody jet noticed is if I go
to services and want to check wuauserv service it has failed to load
description file message (see screen) and also when I try to view properties
of that service it gives me these errors:
http://sweb.cz/martas.pelda/pic1.jpg
http://sweb.cz/martas.pelda/pic2.jpg

according to register Description file shoud be in system32/wuaueng.dll
which is there and seems to be ok.

perhaps this will help a little with solving this problem.

Thanks

"dean-dean" wrote:

> Okay. Thanks for the images. The Security Center one is interesting.
> You could try this:
>
> Right-click Command Prompt (in Start Menu\Programs\Accessories) and Run as
> Administrator. Type (or Copy and Paste) the following command:
>
> winmgmt /verifyrepository
>
> If the system returns "WMI repository is not consistent", type this command:
>
> winmgmt /salvagerepository
>
> The first time you run this it will fail. It will issue stop commands to
> the services causing it to fail (saying, "A stop control has been sent to a
> service that other running services are dependent on"). It might take a
> couple minutes for the services to shut down. Run the last command again.
> You actually may have to run it 3 times before it finally runs and completes
> on its own.
>

> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I restored the SL UI service back to manual start. Restarted. I opend a
> > command prompt as admin, regsvr32 all dll files (success for all). I ran
> > windows update and still no text. Unfortunately this did not work.
> >
> > I posted some images of the screens on Flickr
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/10805483@N08/?saved=1
> >
> > Any other ideas would be deeply appreciated.
> >
> > "dean-dean" wrote:
> >
> >> Sorry, but you may have misunderstood. The SL UI service should be set
> >> Manual. Set that service to Manual, and set Software Licensing to
> >> Automatic,
> >> if it's not that already, and then restart your computer.
> >>
> >> Your problem has been cropping up with some regularity by other posters
> >> in
> >> the newsgroups for Vista, but unfortunately there's no silver bullet for
> >> fixing this, that I'm aware of. You could try this, after your computer
> >> has
> >> restarted:
> >>
> >> Right-click Command Prompt (in Start Menu\Programs\Accessories) and
> >> choose
> >> Run as Administrator. Type (or Copy and Paste) the following commands,
> >> pressing Enter after each one (you should get a pop-up message after each
> >> command):
> >>
> >> regsvr32 wuapi.dll
> >>
> >> regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
> >>
> >> regsvr32 wups.dll
> >>
> >> regsvr32 wups2.dll
> >>
> >> regsvr32 wuwebv.dll
> >>
> >> regsvr32 wucltux.dll
> >>
> >> Close Command Prompt, and try Windows Update again.

Paul

Re: Windows Vista Update - Screen blank missing text
I tried that and the message returned was "WMI repository is consistent"

Thanks