Low experience rating scores

cnoyes

Low experience rating scores
I just built a new computer running Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I have an MSI
P6N SLI Platinum. Here are the experience scores I'm getting:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600: 3.0
Crucial DDR2 800 2GB: 1.5
eVGA geforce 8800 GTS: Graphics - 2.9
Gaming Graphics - 5.8
WD 250GB 7200RPM SATA: 5.3

From what I've read, my scores should be MUCH higher for processor, memory,
and graphics. According to Tom's Hardware, the processor should be 5.9.
According to user reviews on newegg, the graphics should also be 5.9. I
haven't read what the memory should be, but I'm sure it should be much higher
than 1.5.

I've installed all drivers and windows updates and refreshed the hardware
score. The only thing I haven't updated is the bios, and there doesn't seem
to be anything in the version history that sounds like there is a fix that is
related.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
P. Di Stolfo

Re: Low experience rating scores
Hello,

it's interesting that the Experience Index votes your gaming graphics higher
than the Aero graphics. For instance, for me and for many others with a
standard graphics card that supports full Aero this value is 5.9, and for
you it's 2.9. So I think that there's a problem with Vista recognising your
hardware.
Try deleting files C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore and re-rating.
Perhaps the BIOS upgrade will help

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo

--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language

"cnoyes" <cnoyes@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I just built a new computer running Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I have an
>MSI
> P6N SLI Platinum. Here are the experience scores I'm getting:
>
> Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600: 3.0
> Crucial DDR2 800 2GB: 1.5
> eVGA geforce 8800 GTS: Graphics - 2.9
> Gaming Graphics - 5.8
> WD 250GB 7200RPM SATA: 5.3
>
> From what I've read, my scores should be MUCH higher for processor,
> memory,
> and graphics. According to Tom's Hardware, the processor should be 5.9.
> According to user reviews on newegg, the graphics should also be 5.9. I
> haven't read what the memory should be, but I'm sure it should be much
> higher
> than 1.5.
>
> I've installed all drivers and windows updates and refreshed the hardware
> score. The only thing I haven't updated is the bios, and there doesn't
> seem
> to be anything in the version history that sounds like there is a fix that
> is
> related.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Lord Takyon

"P. Di Stolfo" <paolodistolfo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> it's interesting that the Experience Index votes your gaming graphics
> higher than the Aero graphics. For instance, for me and for many others
> with a standard graphics card that supports full Aero this value is 5.9,
> and for you it's 2.9. So I think that there's a problem with Vista
> recognising your hardware.
> Try deleting files C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore and re-rating.
> Perhaps the BIOS upgrade will help
>
> Greetings,
> P. Di Stolfo
>
> --
> //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> // http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language
> //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "cnoyes" <cnoyes@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>I just built a new computer running Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I have an
>>MSI
>> P6N SLI Platinum. Here are the experience scores I'm getting:
>>
>> Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600: 3.0
>> Crucial DDR2 800 2GB: 1.5
>> eVGA geforce 8800 GTS: Graphics - 2.9
>> Gaming Graphics - 5.8
>> WD 250GB 7200RPM SATA: 5.3
>>
>> From what I've read, my scores should be MUCH higher for processor,
>> memory,
>> and graphics. According to Tom's Hardware, the processor should be 5.9.
>> According to user reviews on newegg, the graphics should also be 5.9. I
>> haven't read what the memory should be, but I'm sure it should be much
>> higher
>> than 1.5.
>>
>> I've installed all drivers and windows updates and refreshed the hardware
>> score. The only thing I haven't updated is the bios, and there doesn't
>> seem
>> to be anything in the version history that sounds like there is a fix
>> that is
>> related.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Try a BIOs update if you think it will help. Are you sure all drivers are
installed as that is pretty low across the board?

--
Can't think of a sig at the moment.
Read this instead.

cnoyes

Re: Low experience rating scores
I already tried deleting those files and re-rating. It seems like windows is
recognizing the hardware because on the welcome screen in the control panel
it lists my processor, amount of RAM, and video card correctly.

I will try updating the BIOS.

"cnoyes" <cnoyes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I already tried deleting those files and re-rating. It seems like windows
>is
> recognizing the hardware because on the welcome screen in the control
> panel
> it lists my processor, amount of RAM, and video card correctly.
>
> I will try updating the BIOS.
>
> "P. Di Stolfo" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> it's interesting that the Experience Index votes your gaming graphics
>> higher
>> than the Aero graphics. For instance, for me and for many others with a
>> standard graphics card that supports full Aero this value is 5.9, and for
>> you it's 2.9. So I think that there's a problem with Vista recognising
>> your
>> hardware.
>> Try deleting files C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore and re-rating.
>> Perhaps the BIOS upgrade will help
>>
>> Greetings,
>> P. Di Stolfo
>>
>> --
>> //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> // http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language
>> //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> "cnoyes" <cnoyes@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> >I just built a new computer running Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I have an
>> >MSI
>> > P6N SLI Platinum. Here are the experience scores I'm getting:
>> >
>> > Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600: 3.0
>> > Crucial DDR2 800 2GB: 1.5
>> > eVGA geforce 8800 GTS: Graphics - 2.9
>> > Gaming Graphics - 5.8
>> > WD 250GB 7200RPM SATA: 5.3
>> >
>> > From what I've read, my scores should be MUCH higher for processor,
>> > memory,
>> > and graphics. According to Tom's Hardware, the processor should be 5.9.
>> > According to user reviews on newegg, the graphics should also be 5.9. I
>> > haven't read what the memory should be, but I'm sure it should be much
>> > higher
>> > than 1.5.
>> >
>> > I've installed all drivers and windows updates and refreshed the
>> > hardware
>> > score. The only thing I haven't updated is the bios, and there doesn't
>> > seem
>> > to be anything in the version history that sounds like there is a fix
>> > that
>> > is
>> > related.
>> >
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

What about power options? Are you throttling everything back by mistake?

--
Can't think of a sig at the moment.
Read this instead.

cnoyes

Re: Low experience rating scores
What would I look for in the power settings? I haven't changed anything from
what it originally was.

"Lord Takyon" wrote:

> "cnoyes" <cnoyes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I already tried deleting those files and re-rating. It seems like windows
> >is
> > recognizing the hardware because on the welcome screen in the control
> > panel
> > it lists my processor, amount of RAM, and video card correctly.
> >
> > I will try updating the BIOS.
> >
> > "P. Di Stolfo" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> it's interesting that the Experience Index votes your gaming graphics
> >> higher
> >> than the Aero graphics. For instance, for me and for many others with a
> >> standard graphics card that supports full Aero this value is 5.9, and for
> >> you it's 2.9. So I think that there's a problem with Vista recognising
> >> your
> >> hardware.
> >> Try deleting files C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore and re-rating.
> >> Perhaps the BIOS upgrade will help
> >>
> >> Greetings,
> >> P. Di Stolfo
> >>
> >> --
> >> //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> // http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language
> >> //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>
> >> "cnoyes" <cnoyes@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> What about power options? Are you throttling everything back by mistake?
>
> --
> Can't think of a sig at the moment.
> Read this instead.

cnoyes

Re: Low experience rating scores
I decided not to try the BIOS, since there's nothing in the version history
that leads me to think it might help.

Formatting the hard drive and starting from scratch again make it work?

"cnoyes" wrote:

> I already tried deleting those files and re-rating. It seems like windows is
> recognizing the hardware because on the welcome screen in the control panel
> it lists my processor, amount of RAM, and video card correctly.
>
> I will try updating the BIOS.
>
> "P. Di Stolfo" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > it's interesting that the Experience Index votes your gaming graphics higher
> > than the Aero graphics. For instance, for me and for many others with a
> > standard graphics card that supports full Aero this value is 5.9, and for
> > you it's 2.9. So I think that there's a problem with Vista recognising your
> > hardware.
> > Try deleting files C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore and re-rating.
> > Perhaps the BIOS upgrade will help
> >
> > Greetings,
> > P. Di Stolfo
> >
> > --
> > //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > // http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language
> > //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > "cnoyes" <cnoyes@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > >I just built a new computer running Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I have an
> > >MSI
> > > P6N SLI Platinum. Here are the experience scores I'm getting:
> > >
> > > Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600: 3.0
> > > Crucial DDR2 800 2GB: 1.5
> > > eVGA geforce 8800 GTS: Graphics - 2.9
> > > Gaming Graphics - 5.8
> > > WD 250GB 7200RPM SATA: 5.3
> > >
> > > From what I've read, my scores should be MUCH higher for processor,
> > > memory,
> > > and graphics. According to Tom's Hardware, the processor should be 5.9.
> > > According to user reviews on newegg, the graphics should also be 5.9. I
> > > haven't read what the memory should be, but I'm sure it should be much
> > > higher
> > > than 1.5.
> > >
> > > I've installed all drivers and windows updates and refreshed the hardware
> > > score. The only thing I haven't updated is the bios, and there doesn't
> > > seem
> > > to be anything in the version history that sounds like there is a fix that
> > > is
> > > related.
> > >
> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

cnoyes

RE: Low experience rating scores
I've experienced another problem, and I'm guessing it's related. I tried to
run the Windows Memory Diagnostic test off the Vista CD. The computer shuts
off about 30% through the test. I'm using the 500W power supply that came
with my Antec Sonata III case.

Problem with power supply? Defective memory?

"cnoyes" wrote:

> I just built a new computer running Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I have an MSI
> P6N SLI Platinum. Here are the experience scores I'm getting:
>
> Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600: 3.0
> Crucial DDR2 800 2GB: 1.5
> eVGA geforce 8800 GTS: Graphics - 2.9
> Gaming Graphics - 5.8
> WD 250GB 7200RPM SATA: 5.3
>
> From what I've read, my scores should be MUCH higher for processor, memory,
> and graphics. According to Tom's Hardware, the processor should be 5.9.
> According to user reviews on newegg, the graphics should also be 5.9. I
> haven't read what the memory should be, but I'm sure it should be much higher
> than 1.5.
>
> I've installed all drivers and windows updates and refreshed the hardware
> score. The only thing I haven't updated is the bios, and there doesn't seem
> to be anything in the version history that sounds like there is a fix that is
> related.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Chris Blunt

Re: Low experience rating scores
On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 13:10:00 -0700, cnoyes
<cnoyes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I've experienced another problem, and I'm guessing it's related. I tried to
>run the Windows Memory Diagnostic test off the Vista CD. The computer shuts
>off about 30% through the test. I'm using the 500W power supply that came
>with my Antec Sonata III case.
>
>Problem with power supply? Defective memory?

I ran into similar memory problems after building my own machine
recently. I eventually tracked it down to the motherboard (Nvidia
nForce 680i SLI) using a default voltage level of 1.8V for the memory
chips when they were actually expecting a 2.2V supply. A change to the
voltage levels within the BIOS settings fixed the problem perfectly.

Chris

>"cnoyes" wrote:
>
>> I just built a new computer running Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I have an MSI
>> P6N SLI Platinum. Here are the experience scores I'm getting:
>>
>> Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600: 3.0
>> Crucial DDR2 800 2GB: 1.5
>> eVGA geforce 8800 GTS: Graphics - 2.9
>> Gaming Graphics - 5.8
>> WD 250GB 7200RPM SATA: 5.3
>>
>> From what I've read, my scores should be MUCH higher for processor, memory,
>> and graphics. According to Tom's Hardware, the processor should be 5.9.
>> According to user reviews on newegg, the graphics should also be 5.9. I
>> haven't read what the memory should be, but I'm sure it should be much higher
>> than 1.5.
>>
>> I've installed all drivers and windows updates and refreshed the hardware
>> score. The only thing I haven't updated is the bios, and there doesn't seem
>> to be anything in the version history that sounds like there is a fix that is
>> related.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Low experience rating scores
Check with the motherboard manufacturer and see what they have to say
about Windows Vista compatibility.

Do you have the latest BIOS?
That is a common fix for some similar issues.

How about the memory?
Are there multiple sticks?
If so are they IDENTICAL?
If you have multiple sticks, try with one stick and then the other.
A significant change may indicate a problem with one of the sticks.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar