slow screen drag in vista x64

budneybluestone

slow screen drag in vista x64
hi,

i have had a strange problem that perhaps people could shed some light on,

basically when i drag open windows across the desktop sometimes the window
outlines start to lag and stall, (for a reference this looks like what
happens when u drag windows over a slow vnc network connection) ie they
stall and lag when being dragged.

i have a clean build of vista and cannot work out where the problem lies
with this, wether it is the 2d nvidia driver issues or some other
bottleneck, ie sata bottleneck or mainboard problem,

game performance is fine

im running the following hardware

evga 680i LT board
msi 8600 GT OC
4gb ram
vista x64

any help appreciated

budney

Ian Betts

Re: slow screen drag in vista x64
It sounds like your refresh rate might be low. You could look at the
settings in Personalize in the Control Panel.

--
Ian

"budneybluestone" <james_maslin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi,
>

> i have had a strange problem that perhaps people could shed some light on,
>
> basically when i drag open windows across the desktop sometimes the window
> outlines start to lag and stall, (for a reference this looks like what
> happens when u drag windows over a slow vnc network connection) ie they
> stall and lag when being dragged.
>
> i have a clean build of vista and cannot work out where the problem lies
> with this, wether it is the 2d nvidia driver issues or some other
> bottleneck, ie sata bottleneck or mainboard problem,
>
> game performance is fine
>
> im running the following hardware
>
> evga 680i LT board
> msi 8600 GT OC
> 4gb ram
> vista x64
>
> any help appreciated
>
> budney

freddy

RE: slow screen drag in vista x64
budneybluestone,

The following Microsoft KB article MAY be applicable:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932406/

The article lists some symptoms, but likely not all of them. What do you
think? The article contains contact information. Just a shot in the dark.
--
freddy

"budneybluestone" wrote:

> hi,
>

> i have had a strange problem that perhaps people could shed some light on,
>
> basically when i drag open windows across the desktop sometimes the window
> outlines start to lag and stall, (for a reference this looks like what
> happens when u drag windows over a slow vnc network connection) ie they
> stall and lag when being dragged.
>
> i have a clean build of vista and cannot work out where the problem lies
> with this, wether it is the 2d nvidia driver issues or some other
> bottleneck, ie sata bottleneck or mainboard problem,
>
> game performance is fine
>
> im running the following hardware
>
> evga 680i LT board
> msi 8600 GT OC
> 4gb ram
> vista x64
>
> any help appreciated
>
> budney

Steve Thackery

Re: slow screen drag in vista x64
I haven't got 64-bit Vista, but when I've had this problem in the past it
has been fixed by new graphics card drivers.

Steve

budneybluestone

Re: slow screen drag in vista x64
just looked at that article,

i dont get a lot of the symptoms listed there, just the slow dragging, it
might be worth installing the hotfix though

budney