Advanced Performance Options

romanom

Advanced Performance Options
The place I'm talking about:

Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings

Advanced tap in System Properties Window, Performance settings

In Performance Options window, Advanced tap, then Processor scheduling

Under processor scheduling it gives you the option of adjusting best
performance for programs or background services.

1. Is there a reason to prefer one over the other?

2. I've experimented with both and found little difference, however, I must
say that 'Background services' does seem to cause less response lag and less
of the "busy' mouse pointer shows up with quicker menu response. But, it's
so small its hard to really be sure.

3. Is this really just one of those worthless settings in Windows OS that
does really nothing at all?

I've set it to Background services, bad or good idea..or indifferent?

Thanks in advance!

Rick Rogers

Re: Advanced Performance Options
Hi,

For most users, programs should be the preference. The setting simply tells
the system which threads should take priority should they be competing for
the processor's attention. If they are not competing at any given instance,
there is no affect on the system. This setting change is pretty much
negligible in home user systems, as there is not much in the way of intense
background processes.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"romanom" <romanom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The place I'm talking about:
>
> Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings
>
> Advanced tap in System Properties Window, Performance settings
>
> In Performance Options window, Advanced tap, then Processor scheduling
>
> Under processor scheduling it gives you the option of adjusting best
> performance for programs or background services.
>
> 1. Is there a reason to prefer one over the other?
>
> 2. I've experimented with both and found little difference, however, I
> must
> say that 'Background services' does seem to cause less response lag and
> less
> of the "busy' mouse pointer shows up with quicker menu response. But,
> it's
> so small its hard to really be sure.
>
> 3. Is this really just one of those worthless settings in Windows OS that
> does really nothing at all?
>
> I've set it to Background services, bad or good idea..or indifferent?
>
> Thanks in advance!

usasma

RE: Advanced Performance Options
Actually, this is a very important setting for Vista - depending on how your
system is used.

For example, when I'm using my system, the performance of the programs is of
primary importance to me, with the background being second. So I optimize
for Programs and am happy.

Others that are running more intensive background processes than I do will
find that it's better to have the Background selected.

But, in the end, it's what works best for you. Experimentation is the best
way to determine what works for you.

- John