Defrag Question

David.Anthony

Defrag Question
I use an external hard drive to transport my work but now we have changed to
vista I cant figer out how to defrag it
Can anyone help
Thanks daveblackhall

Cal Bear '66

Re: Defrag Question
Right click the drive in Computer, Properties, Tools tab, Defragment Now

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"David.Anthony" <dave@daveant.co.uk> wrote in message
>I use an external hard drive to transport my work but now we have changed to
>vista I cant figer out how to defrag it
> Can anyone help
> Thanks daveblackhall

John Barnett MVP

Re: Defrag Question
You can use the 'defragment now' option from the drives properties window.
In Computer right click on the drive and select Properties. In the
properties window, Click Tools then click the defragment now button.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"David.Anthony" <dave@daveant.co.uk> wrote in message
>I use an external hard drive to transport my work but now we have changed
>to vista I cant figer out how to defrag it
> Can anyone help
> Thanks daveblackhall

Hawking

Re: Defrag Question
You will have the option to select the drive to defrag
Hawking

"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> You can use the 'defragment now' option from the drives properties window.
> In Computer right click on the drive and select Properties. In the
> properties window, Click Tools then click the defragment now button.
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
> this mail/post..
>
> "David.Anthony" <dave@daveant.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I use an external hard drive to transport my work but now we have changed
>>to vista I cant figer out how to defrag it
>> Can anyone help
>> Thanks daveblackhall

Neal Weissman

Re: Defrag Question
do you have any thoughts on native vista defrag and a third party defrag
software?

"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> You can use the 'defragment now' option from the drives properties window.
> In Computer right click on the drive and select Properties. In the
> properties window, Click Tools then click the defragment now button.
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
> this mail/post..
>
> "David.Anthony" <dave@daveant.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I use an external hard drive to transport my work but now we have changed
>>to vista I cant figer out how to defrag it
>> Can anyone help
>> Thanks daveblackhall

Victek

Re: Defrag Question
> do you have any thoughts on native vista defrag and a third party defrag
> software?

I use PerfectDisk. I prefer it over the native defrag app because it has
the real-time map that we're all used to, and more importantly it can defrag
the page file and other "meta data" during a boot-time defragmentation that
the native defrag app cannot. It's debatable how important this is in terms
of either performance or data integrity compared with using the native app
though. Perhaps others will comment?

If you're curious you can download a fully function 30 day trial of
PerfectDisk at www.perfectdisk.com and see for yourself.

Disclaimer - I'm just a satisfied user and nothing more!

Justbob30

Re: Defrag Question
You might also try Auslogics disk defrag, I am using it right now, appears
to work well & it is free....I am also using their reg defrag program, again
free.....take a look.
http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag/

"Neal Weissman" <nweissma@BUPKIS.covad.net> wrote in message
> do you have any thoughts on native vista defrag and a third party defrag
> software?
>

> "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
>> You can use the 'defragment now' option from the drives properties
>> window. In Computer right click on the drive and select Properties. In
>> the properties window, Click Tools then click the defragment now button.
>>
>> --
>> John Barnett MVP
>> Associate Expert
>> Windows - Shell/User
>>
>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

>> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
>> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
>> this mail/post..
>>
>> "David.Anthony" <dave@daveant.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>I use an external hard drive to transport my work but now we have changed
>>>to vista I cant figer out how to defrag it
>>> Can anyone help
>>> Thanks daveblackhall

cypherx13

Re: Defrag Question

Third party defragger is really the way to go. I'd look for something
automatic so you don't have to worry about doing it manually. Google
search "automatic defragmenter"

--
cypherx13
John Barnett MVP

Re: Defrag Question
If you are looking for a third party defragmenter then take a look at
PerfectDisk (www.raxco.com) I much prefer this to the windows built in
defragmenter.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert