Vista very disappointing

Onlooker

Vista very disappointing
Just bought a new computer, with 2 gb RAM, e6600 processor, and Vista
premium. The backup froze, Yahoo Musicmatch hangs between songs, and overall
performance is worth than my old 1.7 ghz, 512 RAM computer that ran windows
XP. Have you found Vista to be another bloated Windows product that doesn't
live up to the hype? I still have a few days to return this computer, and
might replace it with a Mac.
Justin Brown - SYNACS

Re: Vista very disappointing
On Jul 19, 1:30 pm, Onlooker <Onloo...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Just bought a new computer, with 2 gb RAM, e6600 processor, and Vista
> premium. The backup froze, Yahoo Musicmatch hangs between songs, and overall
> performance is worth than my old 1.7 ghz, 512 RAM computer that ran windows
> XP. Have you found Vista to be another bloated Windows product that doesn't
> live up to the hype? I still have a few days to return this computer, and
> might replace it with a Mac.

Would this happen to be a laptop?

Puppy Breath

Re: Vista very disappointing
I have no problems with it, and it's faster that XP on the same machine. I
don't know why the box makers can't put together Vista systems that work.
It's not all that difficult, but you hear of problems like this with Vista
pre-installed on computers a lot.

"Onlooker" <Onlooker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just bought a new computer, with 2 gb RAM, e6600 processor, and Vista
> premium. The backup froze, Yahoo Musicmatch hangs between songs, and
> overall
> performance is worth than my old 1.7 ghz, 512 RAM computer that ran
> windows
> XP. Have you found Vista to be another bloated Windows product that
> doesn't
> live up to the hype? I still have a few days to return this computer, and
> might replace it with a Mac.

Lord Takyon

Re: Vista very disappointing
"Onlooker" <Onlooker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just bought a new computer, with 2 gb RAM, e6600 processor, and Vista
> premium. The backup froze, Yahoo Musicmatch hangs between songs, and
> overall
> performance is worth than my old 1.7 ghz, 512 RAM computer that ran
> windows
> XP. Have you found Vista to be another bloated Windows product that
> doesn't
> live up to the hype? I still have a few days to return this computer, and
> might replace it with a Mac.

Have you tried all updates, both Vista and hardware? Have you updated all
your drivers? Did it come with a load of rubbish pre-installed? If yes,
did you remove it? Have you applied any kind of tweaks?

Personal experience points to many problems being easily rectified with a
little knowledge.

Oh and or me Vista is fast and stable, after a small amount of tweaking.

--
Can't think of a sig at the moment.
Read this instead.

Onlooker

RE: Vista very disappointing
Thanks for the responses.
(1) It's a desktop computer.
(2) Vista is completely updated, but I'll check on the drivers.

I will say this: it did a beautiful job handling my SCSI card and helping me
find the drivers, but I am still disappointed with its performance.
MrSlartybartfast

RE: Vista very disappointing
For me Vista is stable and performance within 5% of XP. I do find it to be
bloated with plenty of unnecessary components. Personally I would love to
see a Gamers Edition of Windows, which leaves out all the unwanted crap, and
lets the system run as fast and unhindered as possible.
John Murphy

RE: Vista very disappointing
I'm running Vista Home Premium that came pre-loaded on a laptop. I have
found only two incompatibility issues, one with a USB miscroscope that had
incompatble software that would not load and run, and one with the
photo-handler software that came with my Epson 6000. It made the CD/DVD
drive disappear. I switched to Picasa, and now no problems. Also, I am
using a Sandisk Cruzer 2.0 GB USB drive as a cache enhancer. System won't
boot or re-boot with it installed, so I just wait until boot is complete and
remove it before re-booting. No Problemo! It is also good to have at least
1 GIG of RAM. It's a memory hog. Once I understood these "Features" I have
had a very good experience with Vista.

I have been able to load and run all the old software that I had bought for
my 3.1 system and my 98 system, using a USB 3.5 drive. All in all, not too
shabby.

"John Murphy" <JohnMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Vista Home Premium that came pre-loaded on a laptop. I have
> found only two incompatibility issues, one with a USB miscroscope that had
> incompatble software that would not load and run, and one with the
> photo-handler software that came with my Epson 6000. It made the CD/DVD
> drive disappear. I switched to Picasa, and now no problems. Also, I am
> using a Sandisk Cruzer 2.0 GB USB drive as a cache enhancer. System won't
> boot or re-boot with it installed, so I just wait until boot is complete
> and
> remove it before re-booting. No Problemo! It is also good to have at
> least
> 1 GIG of RAM. It's a memory hog. Once I understood these "Features" I
> have
> had a very good experience with Vista.
>
> I have been able to load and run all the old software that I had bought
> for
> my 3.1 system and my 98 system, using a USB 3.5 drive. All in all, not
> too
> shabby.
>
> "MrSlartybartfast" wrote:
>
>> For me Vista is stable and performance within 5% of XP. I do find it to
>> be
>> bloated with plenty of unnecessary components. Personally I would love
>> see a Gamers Edition of Windows, which leaves out all the unwanted crap,
>> and
>> lets the system run as fast and unhindered as possible.

It took me a bit of fiddling too, but now I have nice and speedy system.
Also, and of much more importance, it is stable. Had 1 crash in the last
month or so, and that was my fault for fiddling around LOL