Error Code 643

How2

Error Code 643
This error code relates to a "security update for Microsoft.NET framework
version 1.1 Service Pack 1. My Windows Vista has tried many times to
download this update and each time it has failed and reports error code 643.

What is the solution to this problem?
Bob J

RE: Error Code 643
Error code643 - A network adapter at the server failed.

You do not have a problem on your PC p
What the error says is that MS had a fault at their end and the update was
not uploaded.
Manually download the update.
--
Regards
Bob J

"How2" wrote:

> This error code relates to a "security update for Microsoft.NET framework
> version 1.1 Service Pack 1. My Windows Vista has tried many times to
> download this update and each time it has failed and reports error code 643.
>
> What is the solution to this problem?

Ron Morin

RE: Error Code 643
Bob, I have same problem. I downloaded the update manually as you suggested
and started the install. It started he execution but seems to have finished
within 20 seconds with no messages. How do I know if it did the job. I have
2 .NET Framework items in my installed control panel. One is version 1.1 and
version 3. Version 3 shows no date and if I highlight it it does not bring up
the uninstall opton whereas if I highlight version 1.1 it does. I have
attempted to uninstall version 1.1 and it goes through the motion but it
never disappears from the installed program list. Versions 1.1 and 3.0 have
always been there from the start. This was a Vista Business Upgrade to an XP
SP2 fully up to date with security updates. Ron

"Bob J" wrote:

> Error code643 - A network adapter at the server failed.
>
> You do not have a problem on your PC p
> What the error says is that MS had a fault at their end and the update was
> not uploaded.
> Manually download the update.
> --
> Regards
> Bob J
> If advise given from anyone, solves problem or not, or if solved from
> another source,post back & let us know.
> Then we all benefit.
>

> "How2" wrote:
>
> > This error code relates to a "security update for Microsoft.NET framework
> > version 1.1 Service Pack 1. My Windows Vista has tried many times to
> > download this update and each time it has failed and reports error code 643.
> >
> > What is the solution to this problem?

Bob J

RE: Error Code 643
Check in you Update History and if the update is logged them no problem.
Remember it is an update not a replacement so the version No. does not
change.
--

"How2" wrote:

> This error code relates to a "security update for Microsoft.NET framework
> version 1.1 Service Pack 1. My Windows Vista has tried many times to
> download this update and each time it has failed and reports error code 643.
>
> What is the solution to this problem?

Ron Morin

RE: Error Code 643
Bob, I checked the update log and nothing shows for this update 929729 other
than previous failure to install thru the normal Windows Update. I reran the
manually downloaded file from earlier tonight and again just a flicker of the
screen and no entries on Event log or in Update History. Ron

"Bob J" wrote:

> Check in you Update History and if the update is logged them no problem.
> Remember it is an update not a replacement so the version No. does not
> change.
> --
> Regards
> Bob J
> If advise given from anyone, solves problem or not, or if solved from
> another source,post back & let us know.
> Then we all benefit.
>

> "How2" wrote:
>
> > This error code relates to a "security update for Microsoft.NET framework
> > version 1.1 Service Pack 1. My Windows Vista has tried many times to
> > download this update and each time it has failed and reports error code 643.
> >
> > What is the solution to this problem?

Bob J

RE: Error Code 643
Try the fix in the KB link below, it does not mention any specific update but
it may do the trick. Use the entry relating to update not being installed.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902992/en-us
--

"Ron Morin" wrote:

> Bob, I checked the update log and nothing shows for this update 929729 other
> than previous failure to install thru the normal Windows Update. I reran the
> manually downloaded file from earlier tonight and again just a flicker of the
> screen and no entries on Event log or in Update History. Ron
>

> "Bob J" wrote:
>
> > Check in you Update History and if the update is logged them no problem.
> > Remember it is an update not a replacement so the version No. does not
> > change.
> > --
> > Regards
> > Bob J
> > If advise given from anyone, solves problem or not, or if solved from
> > another source,post back & let us know.
> > Then we all benefit.
> >

> > "How2" wrote:
> >
> > > This error code relates to a "security update for Microsoft.NET framework
> > > version 1.1 Service Pack 1. My Windows Vista has tried many times to
> > > download this update and each time it has failed and reports error code 643.
> > >
> > > What is the solution to this problem?

DebbieC

RE: Error Code 643
I got this fix from Microsoft support. It works, I did it. I did tell them
that the problem seems to be Microsofts because there are too many of us
experiencing the same problem.

To troubleshoot this issue, I suggest we first perform these steps:

Step 1: Download Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp utility
====================================
1. Visit:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...BD/msicuu2.exe
2. Save the file to your computer.
3. Right click "msicuu2.exe", click "Run as administrator" and follow the
wizard to install this tool on your computer.

Step 2: Remove .NET Framework
========================
1. Click Start ->All Programs->Windows Installer Clean Up, click Allow.
2. See if you can find .Net Framework software. If so, remove them.

After that, please restart the computer and perform the following
suggestions to reinstall .NET framework 1.1 and the updates for it.

Step 3: Install .NET Framework 1.1 Redistributable Package and related updates
1. Please download the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable
Package from the following link and save it to the C drive (C:\)

1) Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...6/dotnetfx.exe

2) Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...867460-X86.exe

3) Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1
(KB928366)

http://www.download.windowsupdate.co...d81a178b15.exe

4) .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 SYSTEM.WEB.DLL and MSCOREE.DLL Security
Update for Windows Vista (KB929729)

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...929729-X86.exe

"How2" wrote:

> This error code relates to a "security update for Microsoft.NET framework
> version 1.1 Service Pack 1. My Windows Vista has tried many times to
> download this update and each time it has failed and reports error code 643.
>
> What is the solution to this problem?

Brew Seeker

Re: Error Code 643

Thanks for doing the research. After a lot of trial & error, I stumbled
upon your post here, and it fixed the problem.

DebbieC;422987 Wrote:
> I got this fix from Microsoft support. It works, I did it. I did tell
> them
> that the problem seems to be Microsofts because there are too many of
> us
> experiencing the same problem.
>
> To troubleshoot this issue, I suggest we first perform these steps:
>
> Step 1: Download Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp utility
> ====================================
> 1. Visit:
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...BD/msicuu2.exe
> 2. Save the file to your computer.
> 3. Right click "msicuu2.exe", click "Run as administrator" and follow
> the
> wizard to install this tool on your computer.
>
> Step 2: Remove .NET Framework
> ========================
> 1. Click Start ->All Programs->Windows Installer Clean Up, click
> Allow.
> 2. See if you can find .Net Framework software. If so, remove them.
>
> After that, please restart the computer and perform the following
> suggestions to reinstall .NET framework 1.1 and the updates for it.
>
> Step 3: Install .NET Framework 1.1 Redistributable Package and related
> updates
> 1. Please download the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1
> Redistributable
> Package from the following link and save it to the C drive (C:\)
>
> 1) Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...6/dotnetfx.exe
>
> 2) Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...867460-X86.exe
>
> 3) Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service
> Pack 1
> (KB928366)
>
> http://www.download.windowsupdate.co...d81a178b15.exe
>
> 4) .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 SYSTEM.WEB.DLL and MSCOREE.DLL
> Security
> Update for Windows Vista (KB929729)
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...929729-X86.exe
>

> "How2" wrote:
>
> > This error code relates to a "security update for Microsoft.NET

> framework
> > version 1.1 Service Pack 1. My Windows Vista has tried many times to
> > download this update and each time it has failed and reports error

> code 643.
> >
> > What is the solution to this problem?

--
Brew Seeker
Vista Challenged

Re: Error Code 643
Thanks Brew and all the posters since July. I just got it now and although
you have an answer, I've wasted an afternoon trying to fix it and am tapped
out. I tjhink I will wait till the Jan pack and see if Microsoft thinks it
is important and cares enough to fix it.
Thanks again
VC

"Brew Seeker" wrote:

> Thanks for doing the research. After a lot of trial & error, I stumbled
> upon your post here, and it fixed the problem.
>
> DebbieC;422987 Wrote:
> > I got this fix from Microsoft support. It works, I did it. I did tell
> > them
> > that the problem seems to be Microsofts because there are too many of
> > us
> > experiencing the same problem.
> >
> > To troubleshoot this issue, I suggest we first perform these steps:
> >
> > Step 1: Download Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp utility
> > ====================================
> > 1. Visit:
> > http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...BD/msicuu2.exe
> > 2. Save the file to your computer.
> > 3. Right click "msicuu2.exe", click "Run as administrator" and follow
> > the
> > wizard to install this tool on your computer.
> >
> > Step 2: Remove .NET Framework
> > ========================
> > 1. Click Start ->All Programs->Windows Installer Clean Up, click
> > Allow.
> > 2. See if you can find .Net Framework software. If so, remove them.
> >
> > After that, please restart the computer and perform the following
> > suggestions to reinstall .NET framework 1.1 and the updates for it.
> >
> > Step 3: Install .NET Framework 1.1 Redistributable Package and related
> > updates
> > 1. Please download the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1
> > Redistributable
> > Package from the following link and save it to the C drive (C:\)
> >
> > 1) Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package
> >
> > http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...6/dotnetfx.exe
> >
> > 2) Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
> >
> > http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...867460-X86.exe
> >
> > 3) Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service
> > Pack 1
> > (KB928366)
> >
> > http://www.download.windowsupdate.co...d81a178b15.exe
> >
> > 4) .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 SYSTEM.WEB.DLL and MSCOREE.DLL
> > Security
> > Update for Windows Vista (KB929729)
> >
> > http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...929729-X86.exe
> >

> > "How2" wrote:
> >
> > > This error code relates to a "security update for Microsoft.NET

> > framework
> > > version 1.1 Service Pack 1. My Windows Vista has tried many times to
> > > download this update and each time it has failed and reports error

> > code 643.
> > >
> > > What is the solution to this problem?

> --
> Brew Seeker

NateEaton

Re: Error Code 643

Thanks, DebbieC, for posting this solution. It worked for me, but only
after I forced Windows Update to check for updates did the .Net 1.1
update disappear from the list.

--
NateEaton