DPCs causing 100% processor usage at random times

sebbelcher

DPCs causing 100% processor usage at random times
This has just started happening today, nothing new has been added to my
system and I havent installed ANY new software for a few weeks (except
Windows updates of course).

At random intervals, for periods lasting up to 15mins a process called DPCs
(as shown in Process Explorer) will use 100% of core processing time.
Luckily I have a dual core system so this does not completly hang my
computer, it does however make it painfully slow to use, opening a Windows
explorer window will take anything from 5 seconds to 30 seconds.

I can discern no common trigger for the start of these full load periods,
similarly they stop just as suddenly after a seemingly random period.

A quick Google shows many people with this problem (Deffered Procedure
Calls) but 99% are on XP. Most say it is a hardware issue, but I cannot see
a reason for this, my hardware has been stable and unchaged for many months.
Anyway as a check I removed, cleaned and reseated all components, but the
problem remains as before. Others say it is a temperature related thing, but
my CPU, motherboard and GFX card are well within their acceptable limits.
46, 38 and 51 degrees celcius respectively. I cannot confirm the temperature
of my RAM but to the touch it is much cooler than the cpu, so I don't think
that can be overheating.

What are deffered procedure calls? What events cause them? What would cause
DPCs to use 100% of processor time?

Help!
Spirit

Re: DPCs causing 100% processor usage at random times
maybe this helps, also think audio drivers, network adapters, and so on.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml